• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    Not a hunter, legitimate curiosity question here.

What's the point of hunting coyote? Nobody mentions eating them which I can't imagine would be any good anyhow. Is it just for fun/sport?

Thanks for helping me understand.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I DID NOT KILL THIS COYOTE. INGO MEMBER BUCKFEVER34's FRIEND DID.

Black_Coyote.jpg
    Heard about this guy on another forum, very cool:rockwoot:

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy

What's the point of hunting coyote? Nobody mentions eating them which I can't imagine would be any good anyhow. Is it just for fun/sport?

I hunt coyote's to try and irradicate them from my property, it will never happen so i guess, "sport" mainly.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I get sad when I see a dead coyote.

Because I didn't get to kill it.

Speaking of coydogs . . . are they considered coyotes/nuisance animals by DNR, or are they dogs? Or does it depend on the circumstances?

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009

Most coyotes live proximately 2-3 miles from a town. they will travel about 7-8 miles a night. They will come into housing additions and eat small dogs and cats. They will go house to house looking for food bowls pet owners leave out. My cousin lost 11 baby calves this year so far due to coyotes. They seem to be able to smell a cow getting reading to have young. they will kinda hang around about 50 yards away, the the second the newborn cow hits the ground, a small pack of coyotes will come and and take it away and eat it.
    there was a survey done last year in one of the Carolina states. They put radio tags on newborn deer fawns. within a week 81 out of 100 were eaten
    by coyotes. This was in the Predator magazine last year. A very informative magazine. The DNR should not have turned them loose to take care of the deer population. Instead, they should have made it legal to kill more deer in a season.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    we usto loose alot of cattle to coyotes every year. we no longer have cattle but out neibors do. i kill coyotes now to help out the neibors and save some of my deer and rabbits

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    Most coyotes live proximately 2-3 miles from a town. they will travel about 7-8 miles a night. They will come into housing additions and eat small dogs and cats. They will go house to house looking for food bowls pet owners leave out. My cousin lost 11 baby calves this year so far due to coyotes. They seem to be able to smell a cow getting reading to have young. they will kinda hang around about 50 yards away, the the second the newborn cow hits the ground, a small pack of coyotes will come and and take it away and eat it.
    there was a survey done last year in one of the Carolina states. They put radio tags on newborn deer fawns. within a week 81 out of 100 were eaten
    by coyotes. This was in the Predator magazine last year. A very informative magazine. The DNR should not have turned them loose to take care of the deer population. Instead, they should have made it legal to kill more deer in a season.

Cool, thank you for the explanation. :)

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I lived on a cow farm for about 2 years and just recently moved, but we had coyotes all over out there, i heard them every night, they even came in my front yard. I shot quite a few out there, I know I killed 13 for sure and wounded a couple which more than likely died, they were so bad I couldnt let my dog out at night without having to stand in the yard with a gun, I would take all my leftover deer carcass or fish after i cleaned them and throw them in the field about 80 yards from my house and every morining it would be gone, it was ridiculous all my neighbors called dnr and complained, they lost 2 cats and some kind of little dog, and we lost about 15 calves, I did move to the greenwood area but I still have permission to hunt out there so im definately going to give it a try very very soon, I really want to get one with my saiga 7.62x39 so I'll probabaly be taking that, oh and out of the 13 I killed there 6 of them were with a 17hmr 5 with a winchester 1300 slug gun, and 2 with a 30-06, the farthest I had to shoot was about 125 yards and the closest was 25-30, Its a blast out there and Im ready to go!

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    This morning

Sat for a while this morning without seeing anything. Went for a walk around the farm and this guy came trotting down the fencerow. 243 Barnes varmint grenade did the trick. This was only the second yote I have taken with this load and I was a bit surprised after seeing the exit wound(pretty large), although I did hit a bit low in the chest. The side visible in the pic is the entry wound.
    dec11yote.jpg
    [/IMG]

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Girlfriend's dad is getting a NVD for coyote hunting for christmas.....but these all seem to be daylight shots.

Methinks he's using coyotes as an excuse for a nifty gift.

ZS84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Columbus
    im in

i cant remember the exact range but it was roughly 300yds

003-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

i was on the range shooting at 500 or 550 and he came out between me and the targets so i just spin the turret shifted and shot

i wish i could call coyotes (and get them to come in) i heard 6 diffrent packs a few days ago while hunting. all within a few hundred yards of my stand. ive seen 6 or 7 from that stand so far this year

Sounds like you need to start shooting them from your stand. You would not need to call them in then:)

Top Bottom