• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I was able to go out opening weekend and seen more deer than I ever have on opening weekend. But I won't be able to make it back until maybe the 1st or second weekend of November. I'm hoping I see even more deer then!

Money17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I got into bow hunting this year primarily for the chance to see more deer. The Amish ruin the hunting where I hunt for the first two weeks of shotgun season. They push the woods next to me and will firet ten shots at a single doe on the run leaving everything in the woods scared. I have seen more deer (out of range) this year than I ever have during shotgun. I am hoping to get back out the week before shotgun and actually witness some prep-rut/ rut activity unlike past years.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    I haven't been out yet, I always like to wait until the 3rd week of November and get really excited from Halloween to Opening of firearms season. That is when it starts getting real fun. Although it is killing me so I will most likely get out this weekend with cooler temps coming in.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I haven't been out yet, I always like to wait until the 3rd week of November and get really excited from Halloween to Opening of firearms season. That is when it starts getting real fun. Although it is killing me so I will most likely get out this weekend with cooler temps coming in.

Why would you waste 90% of early bow season?

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    There was increased activity this morning, but alas far away from me.....and nothing better than hearing that "snort wheeze" sound, twice, not far from my stand a hour later, however that deer never showed (I did find tracks over the hill when I left). Will try my other stand tomorrow, hopefully it at least drizzles here to get the local trail traffic down. My evenings have been crap so far with all the kids yelling, harvesting traffic, and bikers/hikers talking.
    :-(

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Here is video of the hunt. This was a tough hunt to video. The sun was glaring and made it tough to find the deer on the LCD screen. Also the leaves were so thick on the trees that it was just tough to even see deer on camera. Also, the shots look like I was shooting directly through leaves. You have to remember that the camera angle is different than the hunter angle. In both shots I had nice clear shooting openings for my bow shots. Both actual shot angles were clear, short, and very easy to make. It was just too tight of openings and too many variables to get the camera view to match my view as a hunter. Self video is difficult.

Hope those who view it enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icQHSjEwi1s

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    HICKMAN, where abouts in Bedford are you now? You enjoying the move from Southport? I know you miss the fine prices of Gander Mountain.

Happy being down in Bedford. Renting a place for now just off the square and working for SAIC out at Crane.

Never bought guns at Gander, but I sure miss having one nearby for hunting/fishing stuff.

walbertb13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    I haven't been able to get out yet this season, but my brother has been out a few times. Same thing for him...nothing in range. It sounds like this heat is keeping the deer from really moving around during the day (night is much cooler). He has managed to continue to get some great pictures of some nice bucks on his trail camera. Come on colder weather!

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Derek, how high up where you?

In that set up, probably 19-20'. That tree is kind of funky when you get up that high. Also it is on a hillside that falls into a swamp, so when I first saw them they were probably another 15' further below me. Where that first doe died, she was about eye level with me going up that hill. It is kind of a messed up spot and very deceiving as a hunter. Several years ago I had a stand about 20 yards further down from that spot and I missed a 160 class buck with my bow two separate times on opening day of bow season. The way the ground falls off into the swamp it can be very deceiving when judging yardage. I over estimated the distance both times. The next day I bought my first laser range finder ... LOL.

I see a lot of deer in that spot, but it is hard to get into because it is a thick bedding area. You have to have the right wind and enough wind to cover your sounds getting in. But if you get in there undetected you almost always at least see deer.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    They got the beans out of the field this week at the farm, which is good for me as I can now drive back to a persimmon tree I've been wanting to try and hunt.

Hoping to get some good hunting in tonight and tomorrow.

Finally got a ladder stand, now to figure out where I want to put it.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I hunt around the muncie area and I have seen a bunch of deer. Opening day I saw 4 does and a small basket rack. I shot one of the does. Last weekend I saw 1 doe and that basket rack agian, I didnt shoot but I could have. This weekend is still up in the air. The full moon means there gonna try and move and eat at night. I hope that the rain last night may have slowed them down and tomarrow may be a great morning to be out. With this wind, I expect them to bed down until it stops as long as it keeps blowing until late tonight, tomarrow will be great. This next week around here, I expect to see more rut action, scrapes and rubs should really start to show up. Its getting close to the best week of the year. Best of luck everyone and please keep us all posted on what you see. I tend to hunt all over the state and surrounding states so I love to hear whats going on. I will keep you all posted on the areas I am hunting.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    set up downwind from where I saw deer on youth weekend. They came out at 80 yards last light... and walked right over where we were sitting a few weeks ago. lol

Last time, they walked right by where I sat this time.

Shall I assume they walk in to the wind, or was I just unlucky again?

Top Bottom