• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Shall I assume they walk in to the wind, or was I just unlucky again?

There is no set rule on how they walk in relation to the wind, but they do USE the wind 100% of the time. Their nose is their best defense.

They will walk into the wind if they feel that it is safe. They'll walk across the wind too. What I see them doing a lot and have read guy who study deer movements report is they often like to walk diagonally with the wind, kind of a quartering away angle. This lets them see in front of them but also smell what might be upwind of them as they move across the terrain.

But honestly, that is deer hunting. You see them in one spot, move your set up, and next time they are in your old spot. Happens to all of us at some point and time.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I had a camera up for a week and got 5 pics: 4 people and 1 doe.

That doesn't sound very good. LOL!

I used a game camera during the summer months in order to inventory the deer on various properties I hunt, then pulled it at the start of season.

Since I've already taken my only buck for the year, I did put the camera out last weekend on the property where I've killed big bucks the last two seasons and plan to leave it there until the night before firearms season -- just to see what I'll have to look forward to next season.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    That doesn't sound very good. LOL!

I used a game camera during the summer months in order to inventory the deer on various properties I hunt, then pulled it at the start of season.

Since I've already taken my only buck for the year, I did put the camera out last weekend on the property where I've killed big bucks the last two seasons and plan to leave it there until the night before firearms season -- just to see what I'll have to look forward to next season.

Actually, I had to reposition the camera, it was pointing too high to be triggered. Need someone to hunt that property for you?:):

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    In the stand from 6:30-noon today in the Solsberry/Bloomington area. Didn't see anything, wind was wipping pretty good. The cows were actually huddled in the tree lines. Saw 1 squirrel all day..normally see a good amount. The fun times are coming though.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I had him at 50 yards tonight. The 4th time I've seen him while hunting and I'm closing in on him. Tonight he came through nose to the ground following a doe that had come through a few minutes before. He's a dandy.:cool:

The woods exploded with deer activity the moment these winds laid down. Was a crazy night to be in the stand.:rockwoot:

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    I had him at 50 yards tonight. The 4th time I've seen him while hunting and I'm closing in on him. Tonight he came through nose to the ground following a doe that had come through a few minutes before. He's a dandy.:cool:

The woods exploded with deer activity the moment these winds laid down. Was a crazy night to be in the stand.:rockwoot:
    he wont be there long with things heating up and rut getting closer, better get him fast

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I let an arrow loose this morning, but no joy. When I got to full draw, my mask started slipping down over my eye. I hurried the shot and dropped it under her. I sat back down and started to fix my mask, and here comes another one. She busted me and ran down the ravine. 15 minutes later below me on my other side a small doe walked in about 20-25 yards form my and started feeding. SHe then proceeded to lay down and WENT TO SLEEP! Curled up in a ball and slept. After about an hour I got down and she didn't wake up. Well, I'll do better next time out. All in all a good mornings hunt.

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    I had 7 deer within 50 yards of me this evening. Some good does and a small fork. First time in this woods so I didn't really want to shoot anything today since I was fighting a cold and had worked all day pretty hard.

It should be an awsome spot in a week or two.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    got my stand up on a major funnel that comes up some power lines and leads in to the cut bean fields.

Now I might get a shot at them staging in the brush before they step out. Probably wait until middle of next week to hunt it so they don't get suspicious.

Got the book "Mapping Trophy Bucks" in, hoping it will help me learn how do move a little better.

Jacobm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Newton County
    Scrapes are really popping up. Saw a few on Friday and twice as many coming back from the same stand this morning. New rubs too.

Even with the wind, the little bucks were on their feet.

Still waiting on that October lull. Hope it gets canceled this year!

Top Bottom