• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDubb

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Frankfort IN
    We got pics on facebook, I sent one of the 10 pt from phone camera to Hickman on his phone to possibly put on here! I haven't heard anything so hopefully he got something!!!!!

Mr.Lubie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    News just said it shoukd get down to 31 degrees for Friday night/Saturday morning.Hope that cold gets them in full swing and moving good! Should be a perfect opening day for the firearm season.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i spent a total of 9 hours today in a tree. did not see one single deer. my hunting spot is not the greatest and mabye i just picked the wrong stands today but i was defintally suprised

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    I've been hunting the hoosier national forest and only this week have I begun to see ground scrapes...but not many. This is typically the week that the rutt turns on down there but it depends largely upon the weather. I have seen LOTS of does over the past two weeks but not one buck on their heels yet. In fact, I haven't even seen any horns in the woods yet. Will continue to hunt through Friday but I generally don't venture down there during shotgun season...too many hunters and too many people hitting the woods while doing a bit too much partying.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Scrape activity is picking up in my area. Saw a few younger bucks running does all over a field this past weekend. been seeing a couple of big boys as well, but they are usually just sneaing around the thick stuff. No interest in trailing does just yet...it aint far off tho...

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    Ok I said I would try and keep everyone up to date on the rut, so here it goes. Most of my info comes from reliable sources (my friends) throughout IN.

I'll start north and head south. Up north near the South Bend area I had a friend of mine tell me yesterday that they are in full rut. He actually got to see some breeding going on, so I know where that stands for sure. He said that he has seen a ton of activity from morning to night. Most of the big mature deer seem to show up near his stand close to dark and are actively chasing and breeding.

The second area is near North Webster. My friends there havent seen any breeding going on, but they have seen a lot of chasing. They both seem to think they are either right at the point of breeding or are just a few days out. Most of thier activity has come early in the day around 930 to 1115. I know thier stand locations and both are on the edges of corn fields. One of the fields hasnt been harvested yet but they are still getting a look at a few cruisers.

Next I guess would be me here in Daleville. The action here seems to be picking up but its not full on yet. If I were to guess it will be in the next couple of days. I know for sure that they are chasing but I havent gotten the chance to catch them in the act yet. I would guess that the cold front this weekend will set them off, or I hope atleast.

The next area is down near Richmond. My friend has said he sees them chasing but the does dont seem to want any part of it yet. Once agian the cold front should help that along. Most of his activity is coming at first light up until around 10 or so. His stand sits right by a creek in a bottom area its a thick area so day light takes a bit to kick in there. I know he hasnt taken a deer yet but has seen a ton.

The last spot I have is near Rising Sun. In this area they arent quite as close as I would have thought. They are chasing, but sign has been a little weak. My friends down there think it will probably be in full swing by the end of next week. I know that the area they hunt doesnt seem to hold a lot of mature bucks until rut comes in. It seems to have a ton of mature does and younger bucks but our cameras rarely catch a monster until the rut comes. Out of the ten or so guys down there, none have filled a buck tag yet so we will have to see if this weekend helps or hurts.

Once agian best of luck to everyone on opening day (for gun).

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    snip

Most of the big mature deer seem to show up near his stand close to dark and are actively chasing and breeding.

As a point of order, is it considered polite to wait until your buck, uh, "finishes" before, you know... ? I would think yes. I would certainly appreciate that small favor if I were, well, you know.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    Yeah I think its only fair to let him finish. I know about three or four years ago the same guy didnt let him finish and ended up with a buck and a doe.

Last edited:

sig shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Spencer, Indian
    I hunted yesterday morning and only seen 1. I went back last evening and I'm hunting a scrape line. At 4:15 I had a nice buck come in at 45 yards and work a scrape. Then at 5:00 a doe come to the same scrape.Just a little to far for a shot due to the brush.

timurphy88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    i have been seeing lots of sign also, but not seeing anything chasing yet here in central IN...this warm weather probably isnt helping

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    I've been actively hunting both the Hoosier National Forest and some awesome farm land in Martinsville through yesterday. This week, I have begun to see some scrapes on the ground but very, very few for this time of the year. I have seen tons of does and I have yet to see a buck on any of their heels. I have begun to see some young bucks this weeks but I'm not seeing any evidence that the rutt is on yet. I think the weather has delayed it a bit this year. Its supposed to turn cold tomorrow and stay that way for a bit which I think will help. However, it the masses hit the woods for gun season before the rutt is on, I think it will not be favorable to shot gun hunters but open opps for muzzle loader and 2nd bow season.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    buddy of mine whacked a doe this morning. Saw a nice 8 point run across the road in front of me at 8am as I pulled in to work.

Didn't see anything again this afternoon/evening... they must be going at it somewhere.

Top Bottom