Not open for further replies.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The Indiana General Assembly has announced its "start date" for the 2012 session. They will convene on Wednesday, Jan 4, 2012, at 1330 hrs.

There are no bills listed as introduced as of this writing, but I suspect that will change within the next few weeks.

As the coming session is approaching, I have unstuck the summaries of the current year's laws that I posted back in June. Those looking for that thread may find it here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...new_laws_in_the_2011_legislative_session.html

I'm hopeful that there will be some good bills written, introduced, voted upon, and signed into law this year, hopefully repealing some of the bad and/or useless laws we have on the books now.

Get your writing hands ready, INGO, I think we're going to need them!

Blessings,
    Bill

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I would anticipate a fight (don't know how big) over 292.

LOTS of towns and cities are unhappy, which means we should be very happy.:)

I'll be in the statehouse from time to time (as needed, as ordered) until I leave for Tejas. Will be INGO's roving correspondent.:D

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Bills introduced that may be of interest to INGO members:

SB 0006: Knives with automatic blades. This bill would remove the prohibition in IN law regarding "switchblades". Author: Sen. Jim Tomes

SB 0026: Title 35 definitions. This is an extensive bill that applies definitions to many things, not the least of which is "school property". It's a long read, but I think we should be aware of it. Author: Sen. Richard Bray

There may be others; I've not read every bill, and there are some that are not shown in the current numerical listing, in addition to many so-called "vehicle bills", the text of which can be substituted at a later time, but which the author wants to have shown as introduced. There also will undoubtedly be more bills introduced; there are, at present, few on the Senate side and none on the House side.

Stay tuned for more.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    SB 0180 Firearms on school property. Makes this a class A misdemeanor instead of a D felony, for those who are not students and who possess the firearm, ammo, or accessory lawfully and store it out of sight in a locked vehicle. Author: Sen. Jim Banks.

SB 0181 Firearms on state property. Extends last year's state preemption to state property, including colleges and universities. Authors: Sen. Jim Banks and Sen. Dennis Kruse.

SB 0196 Downloading cell phone information by police. An officer may not do this unless the phone is suspected of having been used in a crime or the officer has a warrant. Author: Sen. Brent Waltz.

More to come.

Blessings,
    Bill

eblevins

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    SB0181 guns on state property

It is time to deal with criminals. If you com it a crime you should face charges. If you legally possess a fire arm and carry for self defence keeping it concealed who is harmed. I prefer to be alive and wrong as dead and right.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    SB 243 Silencers while hunting. Repeals a law forbidding the use of a silencer while hunting (except for wild turkey or deer) Authors: Sen. Ron Grooms, Sen. Travis Holdman, Sen. John Waterman

I see no bills listed at this writing on the House side affecting firearms, however I did find this one on the Senate side that just made me :rolleyes: and :facepalm::

SB 242 Protection order card program. Permits the Attorney General to issue a wallet-sized card with details of the order to those persons protected by a protection order. Author: Sen. Jean Breaux

I am unsurprised that such a bill would come from the Democrat portion of the Senate... I can just see an assailant violating the order and some poor victim pulling this little card out of their wallet when they should be reaching for something to stop the assailant. My guess would be that, should this thing pass, you LEOs should prepare to find lots of those little cards in dead people's wallets.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    SB 26, SB 180, SB 181, SB 196, and SB 243 are all referred to the Judiciary Committee

Chairman: Sen. Bray.
    Members: Senators Zakas (Ranking Member), Alting, Eckerty, Glick, Head, Steele, Randolph (Ranking Minority Member),
    Broden, Lanane

Based on past pro-gun rights bills, Senators Bray, Zakas, and Steele are solid pro 2A votes. Alting is iffy, and I can't say anything about Eckerty, Glick, or Head. Senators Randolph, Broden, and Lanane are solid anti-gun votes.

SB 6 has been referred to the Committee on Corrections, Criminal, and Civil Matters

Chairman: Sen. Steele
    Members: Senators M. Young (Ranking Member), Bray, Glick, Tomes, Waterman, Zakas, Hume (Ranking Minority Member),Taylor, R. Young

This committee is mostly pro-gun rights, including Sen. Hume. Sen. Taylor is staunchly anti-gun. I can't recall what Sen. Richard Young's record on gun rights is.

I am of the opinion that letters to all of these Senators, both pro- and anti-gun, whether you're in their district or not, are helpful. I'll be sending mine directly.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Hopefully campus carry will make some headway.

I would also like to see the prohibition of throwing stars removed.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I would also like to see the Sovereignty Resolution brought up this year.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    FYI not to derail the thread cause I like what I see but I heard on the radio today that the IN HOUSE has not been able to assembly because the Ds are not attending thus not allowing a quorum (??sp??) since the Rs want some RIGHT TO WORK law that the Ds do not. It's still early in the season but I'm afraid to see the mess of last season when the Ds left the state for a while and the legislation session was much shorter.

Any idea on the draft we were talking on INGO:

Allowing firearms in "non-public schools" with an LTCH at a NON-school function.

Ie.
    You attend a birthday party in the rental hall that a catholic school has on a saturday when no school is in session. Right now you can not carry since the school is still a school.

jedi

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I have my letter written. I'd appreciate some thoughts on SB 196. It seems to me at present that the law specifies that an officer may not confiscate a person's cell phone, period. SB 196 seems to create exceptions, relaxing that law. Am I misreading this?

Thoughts solicited.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    SB 0001 Right to defend against unlawful entry. Permits a person to resist the unlawful entry into a dwelling by a law enforcement officer under certain conditions. Author: Sen. Michael Young, Sen. Ed Charbonneau and Sen. Brent Steele

Senators Alting, Banks, Becker, Boots, Buck, Delph, Eckerty, Gard, Glick, Grooms, Head, Hershman, Holdman, Kruse, Landske, Lawson, Leising, Long, Merritt, Miller, Mishler, Nugent, Paul, Schneider, Simpson, Smith, Tomes, Walker, Waltz, Waterman, Wyss and Yoder added as coauthors.

This bill was referred to the Committee on Corrections, Criminal, and Civil Matters.

msuspartan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    Fishers
    BofR,
    I hope that this bill gets a serious look at. My next door nieghbor is a Policeman and like most of them he is very concerned about this and what could happen.
    Stupid Lawyers making dumb laws that will jeapordize the good citizens and Law Enforcement personel.
    Just wish there was common sense in the political arena.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I am... displeased.

HB 1113 Resisting law enforcement. Provides that a person who knowingly or intentionally disobeys a law enforcement officer's verbal command commits the offense of resisting law enforcement. Author: Rep. Tim Brown

Referred to the House Committee on Courts and Criminal Code.

Chair: Representative Steuerwald
    Vice Chair: Representative McNamara
    Members: Dermody, Foley, Lehman, McMillin, Rhoads, VanNatter. Pierce R.M.M., DeLaney, Dobis, Dvorak, V. Smith.

This load of :poop: needs to NEVER see the light of day. It doesn't even require that the command in question be legal.

Overall, I like Dr. Brown, but I'm not fond of some of the bills he seems to think are appropriate.

Blessings,
    Bill

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Regarding SB0180... I wonder what the rational is for reducing the penalty down to a misdemeanor and not eliminating it altogether? Thoughts?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have my letter written. I'd appreciate some thoughts on SB 196. It seems to me at present that the law specifies that an officer may not confiscate a person's cell phone, period. SB 196 seems to create exceptions, relaxing that law. Am I misreading this?

Thoughts solicited.

Blessings,
    Bill

I'm guessing here, but are they trying to close a loop hole where, while the phone cannot be confiscated, the information could?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Regarding SB0180... I wonder what the rational is for reducing the penalty down to a misdemeanor and not eliminating it altogether? Thoughts?

smiley_censored.gif
    baby steps by
    smiley_censored.gif
    smiley_censored.gif
    instead of going all the way. :rolleyes:

1st make is a misdo... then after a while remove it all together.

-Jedi

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom