Not open for further replies.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I WISH!!! Committee hearings are broadcast, but I don't think they're recorded. If they are, they're not available online anywhere I've seen. You might have some luck contacting the webmaster at "webmasterATigaDOTinDOTgov"

Good luck!

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    SB 6 is sponsored in the House by Rep. Ubelhor and Rep. Eberhart, and is assigned to the House Committee on Public Policy.

SB 243 is sponsored in the House by Rep. Davisson, Rep. Ubelhor, Rep. Goodin, and Rep. Rhoads, and is not yet assigned to a House committee.

The House Committee on Public Policy is:

Chair: Representative Bill Davis (R-33) (NRA A)
    Vice Chair: Representative Wes Culver (R-49) (NRA B-)
    Members:
    Rep. Sean Eberhart(R-57) (NRA A+)
    Rep. Thomas Knollman (R-55) (NRA A)
    Rep. Matt Lehman(R-79) (NRA A-)
    Rep. L. Jack Lutz (R-35) (NRA A)
    Rep. Mark Messmer (R-63) (NRA A)
    Rep. Tim Wesco (R-21) (NRA A)
    Rep. Phil GiaQuinta (D-80) (Ranking Minority Member) (NRA B)
    Rep. Terri Austin (D-36) (NRA A)
    Rep. Linda Lawson (D-1) (NRA C)
    Rep. Scott Pelath (D-9) (NRA A)
    Rep. Vanessa Summers (D-99) (NRA F)

While NRA rankings are not the whole picture, we can get some idea where the members stand, but do be aware that they are an incomplete standard; To use Rep. Terri Austin, for example, I would have guessed her a C or a D rating base on her comments in the committee re: SEA 292 last year. Reading this, she might have been doing a "devil's advocate" thing, but she was quite convincing as an anti. Similarly, Rep. GiaQuinta has never seemed to me to be a friend to gun owners, but apparently, he voted well for us, at least on 292. Too, we need to consider that SB 6 is not specifically about guns, but the concept of "arms" might be a positive factor. If I was guessing, I'd guess the bill will be heard in and passed out of committee, but that's only a guess at this point in time.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    SB 243 is now assigned to the same committee on the House side.

Let's get a-writin', INGO, if we want SB 6 & 243 to pass and become law; they have to pass the committee first. :)

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

Let's get a-writin', INGO, if we want SB 6 & 243 to pass and become law; they have to pass the committee first. :)

The committee assignment is going to change. Cory held a shoot for the Natural Resources Committee yesterday at Eagle Creek. The members that cam were impressed and educated by the event. I was assured that they will get this done.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Bill (or anybody else),
    If you know...why the exemption for hunting with silencers for deer and turkey?
    Thanks.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    There is not an exemption, you can hunt deer and turkey with a silencer. What the bill states is you get a class C misdemeanor if you are caught poaching deer or turkey with a silencer.

Good. I was hoping I was reading that earlier post wrong. Those exemptions didn't make sense.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    Just got this email from NRA-ILA:

Indiana: NRA-Backed Bills Continue to Move Forward

Today saw progress on two NRA-backed bills currently moving through the Indiana General Assembly.

The Indiana House of Representatives approved Senate Bill 315 on its third and final reading by an overwhelming bi-partisan 76 to 19 vote. SB 315, authored by state Senator Randy Head (R-18) and sponsored by state Representative Mark Messmer (R-63), would streamline the licensing and reporting process for charity gaming events, such as “Friends of NRA” banquets. Due to a technical amendment made in the House Public Policy Committee, SB 315 now returns to the Senate for concurrence.

As previously reported here, the policy changes contained in SB 315 would greatly improve the ability of “Friends of NRA” committees to comply with Indiana charitable gaming laws in a timely and less cumbersome fashion, while protecting the personal information of “Friends of NRA” volunteers.

Due to a House committee hearing cancellation, Senate Bill 243, previously reported on here, would not have survived this week’s committee report deadline had it not been added as an amendment to House Bill 1279, authored by state Representative Sean Eberhart (R-57) and sponsored by state Senator Ryan Mishler (R-9). This amendment was offered by state Senator Travis Holdman (R-19), and the Indiana Senate voted today on second reading to add (as is) language from SB 243 into the Natural Resources Omnibus bill, HB 1279.

This language from SB 243 would allow Hoosiers to use lawfully-possessed suppressors (also referred to as silencers) on firearms for hunting. Currently, Indiana law permits use of suppressors for all shooting activities except for the taking of game. Enactment of this language would ensure that hunting is treated the same way as other shooting activities with respect to the use of suppressors, and allow hunters to reap the many benefits suppressor use provides. For more information on silencers, please click here.

The NRA thanks Representative Sean Eberhart and Senators Ryan Mishler and Travis Holdman for their work to protect language legalizing the use of suppressors while hunting.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Good to know! Still, keep the pressure on Davis, and if anyone else has any pull with a Representative, maybe SB 6 can be added to another bill's language as well in the same manner.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    HB 1279, into which SB 243 has been amended, was up for Third Reading today, however Sen. Mishler was excused absent and it was not presented. Hopefully, it will be presented on Monday.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    [STRIKE]HB 1279, into which the language of SB 243 has been amended, passed Second Reading today with that language intact. When it comes up for Third Reading, it should be a simple "up or down" vote, after which, ([strike]if[/strike] WHEN it passes), it goes to a conference committee so that they can concur in any changes since the House voted on it.[/STRIKE]

:eek:I am in error! HB 1279 passed Third Reading today in the Senate and now returns to the House for a Conference Committee!

It (still) does not appear that SB 6 will survive this session, however.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    Update from NRA-ILA:

Indiana: NRA-Backed Pro-Hunting Legislation Dies
    Due to House Parliamentary Procedure
    Last week, the NRA-backed legislation legalizing the use of suppressors for hunting was amended into another bill, due to a missed deadline by the House Public Policy Committee. Senate Bill 243, previously reported here, was unable to survive last week’s committee report deadline and is now considered a dead bill.

The “hunting with suppressors” language was then resurrected, thanks to the efforts of state Representative Sean Eberhart (R-57) and state Senators Ryan Mishler (R-9) and Travis Holdman (R-19). These legislators worked together to add the language from SB 243 to Representative Eberhart’s Natural Resources Omnibus bill, House Bill 1279. Yesterday, the Senate voted 49 to 0 to pass HB 1279 with the “hunting with suppressors” language included. It was then sent back to the state House for a concurrence vote in conference committee.

However, due to new rules adopted by the House of Representatives for this legislative session, if a bill does not get a hearing in a House committee, it cannot be accepted into another House bill. Unfortunately, this means that the pro-hunting language from SB 243 will be removed from HB 1279 in conference committee, and will not be allowed to move forward this session.

The National Rifle Association appreciates the efforts by state Representative Sean Eberhart and state Senators Ryan Mishler and Travis Holdman to keep the suppressor language alive.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm going to say Bad Words(tm).

Before I do, though, thanks, Harley, for the update and thanks to all of the legislators and INGO advertisers and members who worked to get this passed. We'll try for some good stuff next year.

Blessings,
    Bill

(ok, NOW I'm going to say Bad Words(tm)) :soapbox:

DAA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Sawed_off Shotgun Law

:dunno:Has anyone heard about trying to change the sawed-off shotgun, law IC-35-47-5-4.1 next year? I've been interested in getting a manufactured 14" barrel or 870P.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Hey BoR - January 4 will soon be here!

Should a new thread be started, perhaps with a "wish list"? :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom