Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Just sent:

Dear Sen. Bray,

I recently wrote you requesting that SB 180, 181, and 377 be heard in your Senate Judiciary Committee, however I see that you have not yet added them to the schedule to be heard. I realize that time is very limited in the short session, and many people ask for bills to be heard, however, I cannot understand why a pro-rights senator such as yourself would not want these bills heard and passed.

Please, sir, schedule them to be heard and voted so they can reach Third Reading prior to the 2/1 deadline.

Thank you very much, in advance, for your assistance in this matter.

Most sincerely,

<signed>

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Just sent:

Thanks for the reminder and crib, Bill...here's the one I just sent:

"Dear Senator Steele,

I am of the understanding*that SB 180, 181, and 377 have not yet been scheduled to be heard in the*Senate Judiciary Committee. *It is my hope that I can count on you, a reliable Second Amendment supporter, to encourage the hearing of these important bills and their subsequent passage.

I realize time is short for this session, but I believe the passage of these bills will enhance the rights of all law abiding Hoosiers and that should be of sufficient reason to consider them a high priority for this session.

As always, please feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss these or any other issues.

Thank you for your support on these important issues.

Kindest regards,
    <signed>"

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    SB 243 just passed the Senate Judiciary Committee 7-1 and now heads to the full Senate.

Thanks to INGO Advertisers Down By The Tracks, Britton, and SemperFiUSMC and Ashley Varner, NRA representative, for testifying in favor of the bill.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    Thanks to all that attended. It's a good feeling when competitors on this board can come together and work on supporting laws like this.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Progress Report!

OK, so, in the "good news" category, SB 6 has passed the Senate and now goes to the House. SB 243 has passed the committee and now goes to the full Senate, probably Monday for Second Reading, unless they are in session Friday (not normally)

Sadly, it appears that SB 180, SB 181, and SB 377, guns on state property, guns on school property, and decriminalizing SBS are all dead for this session; The legislative deadline for the bills to be heard on Third Reading is Feb. 1, and Sen. Bray sounded like he was not going to hold another meeting of his committee.

Don't bother claiming you'll vote him out of office, he's retiring.

The session was fairly contentious anyway with RTW and the state smoking ban on the table, so I suppose that's not surprising. What puzzles me is how the bills are assigned; in past years, bills such as these would have gone to the committee on Corrections, Criminal and Civil Matters. For some reason, this year, only SB 6 did so.

Oh well. No use crying over spilled milk. Those good bills can be brought back next year and hopefully improved and passed. Of note, SB 196 did not receive a vote, though it did get heard. Sen. Waltz was quite convincing as to his reasoning, and I no longer oppose his intention with it.

More info as it develops. Thanks again, all who wrote and all who got involved and pushed for these bills to pass. Don't put your pens down; we need to start writing to House Representatives to pass SB 6 and SB 243. SB 243 also needs your support to get through the full Senate.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    It was a blast. Only one libtard smackdown delivered.

On to the House. More info to follow.

Of note: That was a hell of a smackdown, too, Semper, and well-deserved at that. Elitist, mindless paranoia on the part of a certain Dem Senator.

Some people might be intimidated by the positions these politicians hold. You are obviously not among them.

Rep inbound.

Blessings,
    Bill

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Hey Bill--you're right. I got this response to my email today:

Senator Bray is the chairman of the Judiciary Committee. Senator Steele has the Corrections and Civil Committee. For whatever reason, allowable time probably being a primary one, Senator Bray did not hear these bills. I would assume that these bills will be back during the long session and will have a better chance at that time.
    If we can be of assistance or answer any questions, please let us know.
    Matt Doerr
    Indiana Senate
    Office of Senators

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    Emailed Sen. Joe Zacas, and Rep. Tim Neese about support for SB 377; here is the text:

As a fun loving, gun owning Hoosier, I was excited to see that a decent piece of common sense legislation was up on the table this year, SB 377. In case you are not familiar with it, in essence it removes the restriction on ownership of short barreled shotguns for our beloved state - a restriction that never did make sense to me. I strongly urge you to support this bill, and ask that you to do what you can to see that it makes it all the way to Govenor Daniels for signing.
    Thank you in advance for your support of this bill, SB 377.
    Sincerly,
    Jason M. Fendrick
    Elkhart, IN

We shall see what happens next! :popcorn:

UPDATE:
    Got a call back today from Rep. Neese in person - he left me a voice mail indicating he was not familiar with this bill, but that he is a gun owner, and is supportive of gun rights. He gave me his number to call him to speak more about it. I returned his call, and advised him that any laws that restrict gun ownership in any fashion do nothing to reduce crime; in fact they embolden criminals as it makes their chosen profession easier.
    Will keep you all posted!:ingo:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    UPDATE:
    Got a call back today from Rep. Neese in person - he left me a voice mail indicating he was not familiar with this bill, but that he is a gun owner, and is supportive of gun rights. He gave me his number to call him to speak more about it. I returned his call, and advised him that any laws that restrict gun ownership in any fashion do nothing to reduce crime; in fact they embolden criminals as it makes their chosen profession easier.
    Will keep you all posted!:ingo:

Very cool that you got a personal call back, more so that he's a shooter, too. How receptive was he to what you had to say?

Blessings,
    Bill

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I will say that it was pretty friggin cool that a Senator on the committee whipped a tax stamp out, and said, "Silencers, yeah I got those."

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    Very cool that you got a personal call back, more so that he's a shooter, too. How receptive was he to what you had to say?

Blessings,
    Bill

He was incredibly receptive, and seemed genuinely interested. We have been playing phone tag this week, due to the weird hours I work; however, I am going to make the effort to get in touch with him come Monday, to see what help he would need to get some bills through....:D

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    hey i just wanted to thank you guys for all the hard work making sure that we're aware of whats going on.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    hey i just wanted to thank you guys for all the hard work making sure that we're aware of whats going on.

You're welcome! Thanks for noticing!

Also, just a note for everyone, SB 243 passed Second Reading with a single amendment: Sen. Head wanted to ensure that hunting on property without the permission of the landowner while in possession of a suppressor would be a separate (new?) crime. The amendment did pass and it should be on Third Reading tomorrow. (if not, the bill is dead.)

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Of note: That was a hell of a smackdown, too, Semper, and well-deserved at that. Elitist, mindless paranoia on the part of a certain Dem Senator.

Look, are you guys going to tell us about the smackdown or do I have to send rhino to your shop and hang out all day and ask endless questions, put fingerprints all over the cases and then buy nothing?

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Look, are you guys going to tell us about the smackdown or do I have to send rhino to your shop and hang out all day and ask endless questions, put fingerprints all over the cases and then buy nothing?

A libtarded Senator said something stupid while I was testifying. I didn't figure his vote was essential so I was not inclined to perform the usual and customary sugarcoating of the answer. I replied that what he said made no sense nor was his point grounded in a foundation of reality. He turned all red in the face (I think it was an emotional display of love - I've dealt with this particular Senator in testimony before the same committee with roughly the same dialog and outcome).

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A libtarded Senator said something stupid while I was testifying. I didn't figure his vote was essential so I was not inclined to perform the usual and customary sugarcoating of the answer. I replied that what he said made no sense nor was his point grounded in a foundation of reality. He turned all red in the face (I think it was an emotional display of love - I've dealt with this particular Senator in testimony before the same committee with roughly the same dialog and outcome).
    That's awesome. Please tell me these hearings are recorded and online somewhere....:D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom