• Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Received the following from Sen. Jim Tomes:

I'd like to take a moment and mention to any of you who support my bill to repeal the ban on switchblade knives in Indiana, SB 181, that this would be the time to contact Rep. Bill Davis who is the House Chairman of Public Policy where that bill currently stands.

If you go to the link I've copied you can use that to contact him and all the House committee members to encourage them to give this bill a hearing. This is as close as we've every been and I doubt whether I will try this anymore. It would be nice to abolish this antiquated law. You might want to also contact Speaker Bosma as well.

Indiana General Assembly

If you haven't visited our new website you need to do so. I hope that everyone is now getting my e-mails and if you'd like to just reply to let me know, feel free to do that.

Since I went to work on my bill back in June to address the drone issue there has been many developments and news accounts. At first I was getting a lot of flak from the media and the keyboard commandos who peck out their vile letters without putting their names on them, but that has since stopped, as well as all the jokes. It was gratifying to get fellow senators to now sign on with me, some of whom were having a lot a fun ribbing me about it. I hope that it will get the summer study.

Jim and Margie
    2nd Amendment Patriots
    STAY UNITED
    www.2ndamendmentpatriots.org

Drop a line to Rep. Davis, please, folks. I just did.

Blessings,
    Bill

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I am definitely NOTa fan of SB555...

The way I see it, if the existing LTCH needs to change, Lifetime members should just be granted the new credentials as-is and have our cards swapped and everyone else should follow suit during renewal or initial application with the imposition of the new requirements.

The only things I can see it accomplishing are:

1) Giving instructors additional revenue and making the process even more laborious for those of us in communities with 'less than cooperative' local law enforcement officials.

2) Eroding the carry rights we currently have in other states with our existing LTCH. Even with the added language we all know that our old LTCH will be useless once the new one comes into existance.

3) Even with the new 'requirements' there is no guarantee that other states will recognize it for reciprocity purposes. This 'if we do this, they will come' idea is flawed in that no one can control or predict what ANY state will do - even our own - on matters such as this -- especially in the anti-gun climate we're in now!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    BoR,
    I just dropped a line to Rep. Davis as well.

I also urged him to allow HB1473 to be heard.

Thanks to all who have written and will write.

Sadly, it is too late for any HBs to be heard on the House side. That deadline has passed. HBs can be heard in the Senate and SBs can be heard in the House, but unless they're showing some status in the second house, they're done.

HR 1563 on the Senate side would be a good one to urge a hearing for, though, even though Sen. Yoder is a Senate sponsor and it's in his Agriculture committee.

Blessings,
    Bill

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Thanks to all who have written and will write.

Sadly, it is too late for any HBs to be heard on the House side. That deadline has passed. HBs can be heard in the Senate and SBs can be heard in the House, but unless they're showing some status in the second house, they're done.

HR 1563 on the Senate side would be a good one to urge a hearing for, though, even though Sen. Yoder is a Senate sponsor and it's in his Agriculture committee.

Blessings,
    Bill

ahhh crap, forgot about that... We as citizens of Indiana really need a way to get bills out of committees and on to the floor! BoR what can be done about this, there are too many bills that are dumped to a committee that will never be heard from again! I'm sick of Sen. Long killing bills he doesn't like by assigning them to his own committee which then never touches them!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ahhh crap, forgot about that... We as citizens of Indiana really need a way to get bills out of committees and on to the floor! BoR what can be done about this, there are too many bills that are dumped to a committee that will never be heard from again! I'm sick of Sen. Long killing bills he doesn't like by assigning them to his own committee which then never touches them!

In all honesty, this is the first time I've seen Sen. Long do that. The only one I'd seen do it before was Pat Bauer, as Speaker of the House.

What can we do? Run for office. I know of two INGOers who are in the General Assembly, remaining incognito. The more of us we have there, the more likely that good bills will get heard, and the more likely people who have in the past seemed to be our friends but are not will find themselves not in charge of anything.

Beyond that, it is the sole purview of the committee chairman to choose what bills s/he hears, and the sole purview of whoever is presiding (the president, president pro tempore, or designee in the Senate and Speaker or his designee in the House) to determine to which committee a bill is sent. I'm not sure how they make their decisions, but my understanding is that media profile is a factor: No one wants to have his name forever tied to a bill that "allowed XYZ to happen" by the liberal media.

Blessings,
    Bill

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    Guys,

There's a senate hearing this morning to discuss the Feinstein Ban legislation. Hopefully this thing will die in the judiciary committee today. But her cohorts aren't going to make it easy.

If it passes today's discussion/ammendment process it will go to the full Senate.

View a Hearing or Meeting
    It's going to full Senate now. Approved 10-8. Has a small percentage of passing.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    HB 1563 (suppressors while hunting) is to be heard in committee on Monday 3/18, at 10AM in room 130 at the State House.

Still nothing on SB 181 (automatic knives) and still nothing on SB 555 (2nd tier license).

While some will be happy about the latter, the former should receive our support, IMHO.

Blessings,
    Bill

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    HB 1563 (suppressors while hunting) is to be heard in committee on Monday 3/18, at 10AM in room 130 at the State House.

Still nothing on SB 181 (automatic knives) and still nothing on SB 555 (2nd tier license).

While some will be happy about the latter, the former should receive our support, IMHO.

Blessings,
    Bill

All three are in the House now, right?

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    As someone who does not have their LTCH yet, due to school reasons, I have a question regarding SB 555. I've read it being discussed here at length, but I cant seem to find the information I'm looking for. Would SB 555 do away with the current LTCH? Or would it be more of an expansion on TO the current LTCH?

Thanks guys!

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    My contacts through SCC (students for concealed carry) have informed me that Senator Banks may not be able to reintroduce proposal legislation for a campus carry bill next year. We may need to rely on some other co-sponsors to author it next time around so please keep on contacting your reps and urging them to get this through next session.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Anyone heard news on hb1563 on wether it passed senate or not?

It passed the committee unanimously, and now goes to the full Senate. Of note, according to the NRA email I just got, Sen. Tomes introduced an amendment to strengthen our shooting range protection law as well.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom