• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I suggest we include sales on meats as part of this thread. I picked up a couple pork shoulders from Meijer last week, I think they were $1.49/lb. I just got home from Meijer again and looked at the brisket, I can't for the life of me understand why brisket costs as much as it does. Then again, cows are apparently being fed truffles and champagne these days as expensive as beef is in general. I can't pay $50 for a small flat, that's just insane.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    the venison.
    I vacuum sealed the venison when I butchered it. I pulled it out of the freezer and tossed it in the sous vide at between 130 and 135°. I don't remember exactly. Let it cook for about 3 hours in there then I dumped it in an ice bath and seared the heck out of it on a cast-iron griddle placed on the grill. It did come out pretty tender and moist.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    I suggest we include sales on meats as part of this thread. I picked up a couple pork shoulders from Meijer last week, I think they were $1.49/lb. I just got home from Meijer again and looked at the brisket, I can't for the life of me understand why brisket costs as much as it does. Then again, cows are apparently being fed truffles and champagne these days as expensive as beef is in general. I can't pay $50 for a small flat, that's just insane.

I actually prefer point brisket so I always get the whole Packers. I like a good fat cap around a quarter of an inch left, I trim everything else. Packers were 239 a pound at GFS last I looked which isn't a bad price. They are choice and that is where I usually get mine.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I get my brisket at either GFS or COSTCO. Either way you have to trim the fat cap, but they come out great on the smoker. I was at meijer yesterday and I thought they were over priced and weren't as big as what I normally get.
    Got one sitting in rub waiting for morning to go on. I will smoke it using lump charcoal, with a mix of white oak and mesquite chunks with a bit of apple juice in the drip pan to help keep it nice & moist.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The only issue I ever have with my pulled pork is that it loses the nice pink color very quickly after I pull it. I did some reading today and someone claimed that it wouldn't lose the color if it's allowed to cool (wrapped in foil) before being pulled. Can anyone verify that? I usually leave mine wrapped for hours in foil, under a towel and in a cooler before I pull it but it's always very hot to the touch when I pull it.

I'm going to plan ahead and try letting it cool next time to see, just curious if anyone has tried both ways and noticed a difference?

I've never had a problem with my pork really losing it's nice pink color. I now it makes a difference how much smoke it gets as to how much of a smoke ring you get. I wonder if the type of wood makes any difference. For pork I usually use about a 50/50 mix of hickory and apple and a pork butt usually ends up with @a 1" smoke ring. I keep it wrapped in foil but it's always hot when I shredd it

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    For those in NWI there is a great butcher shop just across the state line. It is TJ Meat Packing off from 294. I think most of their trade is to businesses, but they have a large retail operation. It is not the most modern operation you are going to see, but we have generally found very low prices there. Lots of stuff you won't find anywhere else.

tjmeatpacking

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Picked up a package of pre-seasoned St Louis style ribs from Costco this afternoon. Didn't have time to let them roll nice and low so they got just short of three hours between 300*-325* then I foil wrapped them with some apple juice for an hour. After the hour they got a light coat of BBQ sauce and a quick sear to carmelize. Turned out really well, much better than I expected. The wife and I agreed that we may have paid for our last rack of baby backs. Two full racks was $21.50 seasoned and ready to go but they do not remove the membrane, I had to do that myself. Got most of it off but not all.

85616F10-9A3F-40F2-AE68-C54158F1731E_zpse5g1g0ge.jpg

5BC7816A-7389-493F-A817-E69EB67F468B_zpsuugugrgq.jpg

Made some homemade slaw with red wine vinegar and some radishes thrown in. Good stuff.

4FA799E4-CCD4-4DD5-AF51-1D7837D0ED13_zpsj4koxvx4.jpg

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Picked up a package of pre-seasoned St Louis style ribs from Costco this afternoon. Didn't have time to let them roll nice and low so they got just short of three hours between 300*-325* then I foil wrapped them with some apple juice for an hour. After the hour they got a light coat of BBQ sauce and a quick sear to carmelize. Turned out really well, much better than I expected. The wife and I agreed that we may have paid for our last rack of baby backs. Two full racks was $21.50 seasoned and ready to go but they do not remove the membrane, I had to do that myself. Got most of it off but not all.

85616F10-9A3F-40F2-AE68-C54158F1731E_zpse5g1g0ge.jpg

5BC7816A-7389-493F-A817-E69EB67F468B_zpsuugugrgq.jpg

Made some homemade slaw with red wine vinegar and some radishes thrown in. Good stuff.

4FA799E4-CCD4-4DD5-AF51-1D7837D0ED13_zpsj4koxvx4.jpg
    Dang, that looks good! Making me hungry.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Hit the local GFS and picked up a 17lb packer this afternoon for $41. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Fargo. I haven't smoked a brisket in a couple years, looking forward to it.

Top Bottom