• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Not as good as free of debt and paying cash.

Debt is not inherently bad. In fact, if you are bound and determined to sink $50k into a depreciating asset, better to use other people's money (as long as you can get it cheaply) than to deplete your reserves by sinking that much cash at once.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Debt is not inherently bad. In fact, if you are bound and determined to sink $50k into a depreciating asset, better to use other people's money (as long as you can get it cheaply) than to deplete your reserves by sinking that much cash at once.

Define cheaply. Opinions are worth what you pay for them.
    My opinion is that patience is an under rated concept and borrowing to own always costs more than paying cash. Always.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

$50k for a vehicle? Yikes. I don't think it's wise to buy a vehicle that costs more than half of what your income is.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Define cheaply. Opinions are worth what you pay for them.
    My opinion is that patience is an under rated concept and borrowing to own always costs more than paying cash. Always.

I don't suppose you've ever heard of 0% financing or six months same as cash deals.
    If there is a big ticket item that I want, and I can get it now for no additional cost, or even a minimal additional cost, I'll get it now. No reason not to, IMO.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm currently looking at trucks that cost $20k, and I'm second guessing myself on those.

The most expensive vehicle I have ever bought was a 1 year old minivan for $25k (out the door). When I was making under $20k, I bought a 1988 Pontiac 6000 with 51,000 miles for $3,500 (in 1993) and to this day, that was one of my best cars. I have taken out car loans, but been loan free since 2000. I prefer it, but I don't run down the idea of loans as long as the car is reasonable, the down payment is significant and payments keep ahead of depreciation (which ain't easy).

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    $50k for a vehicle? Yikes. I don't think it's wise to buy a vehicle that costs more than half of what your income is.

I'd never spend $3500 on a 1911, but we've all got our own notions of value in this life. For some people a vehicle is just another appliance. For others, they are more than that.
    Not saying I'd spend $50k on anything out of a GM factory, but there are other vehicles that I wouldn't bat an eye at spending around $40k for. Especially if I intended to keep it for 10 or 15 years. Yearly income is a silly metric when you are talking about a durable good that you will use for several years. A better gauge is percentage of take home income.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I'd never spend $3500 on a 1911, but we've all got our own notions of value in this life. For some people a vehicle is just another appliance. For others, they are more than that.
    Not saying I'd spend $50k on anything out of a GM factory, but there are other vehicles that I wouldn't bat an eye at spending around $40k for. Especially if I intended to keep it for 10 or 15 years. Yearly income is a silly metric when you are talking about a durable good that you will use for several years. A better gauge is percentage of take home income.

I agree, percent of income, as well as, like with the Tacoma, how much resale value they hold. It`s a fact that the resale value of trucks is higher than cars, and it`s a fact that the resale value of Tacoma`s is better than any other truck.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    First thing I'll be looking at is the reviews and listed values of these trucks, in 5-6 years when they have 100K+miles on them. That's where they come into my range.

No payments, cheap insurance, aftermarket parts abound, etc, etc, etc...
    Happy to let you all break them in for me, thanks.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    First thing I'll be looking at is the reviews and listed values of these trucks, in 5-6 years when they have 100K+miles on them. That's where they come into my range.

So if you buy your trucks at over 100,000 miles, how much life are you getting out of them?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

A dealer near me had a 2015 Tacoma Sport model on the lot with 114k on it but the thing looked spotless. Sticker price was just under $19k. I don't know if they got it, but the truck was there less than a week.

So if you buy your trucks at over 100,000 miles, how much life are you getting out of them?

200-250k wouldn't be unreasonable.

It also depends what you're doing with the truck. Some might not be looking for a daily driver, but rather a truck that will get them 50 miles a week over the next 15 years.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

70K on my 2001 Explorer Sport, 234K on the odometer now.
    $5000 cash purchase. $500ish in parts maintenance, $700 tires.
    With regular maintenance, it's not showing me any indication of what the life will be. :dunno:

Vehicles with over 200K do warrant a backup vehicle.

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I don't suppose you've ever heard of 0% financing or six months same as cash deals.
    If there is a big ticket item that I want, and I can get it now for no additional cost, or even a minimal additional cost, I'll get it now. No reason not to, IMO.

0% Is never really 0%. They'll charge you more up front to get the rate. 6 mos same as cash costs about 75% of the people who are suckered into that deal, more money, because they fail to read the terms closely and miss a deadline or a condition... And almost all of them have a minimum fee of at least $.50. As well as an outrageous back dated interest rate if you screw it up.

Your life is obviously yours to mess up as you choose. I M O.

People here trying to give you the benefit of their life experience to save you financial pain. Ignore it at your own peril. We're not saying this stuff to try and hurt you.

Top Bottom