• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It’s not only hitting about temp, it’s how long it’s at temp. It takes a while to break down the collagen and connective tissue, and that doesn’t really start until about 180° VUPD’s foil method slows the process giving it more time to get tender by 190°. You can get the same results by lowering the smoker temp towards the end of the cook to give it more time in the 180°-195° range without risking the crispy bark to foil.

You can also foil to get it past the stall, then remove the foil to "recrisp" the bark. Similar to the 3-2-1 method for ribs. And IME foiling usually shortens the cooking time, probably by preventing cooling from evaporation and convection.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    First attempt at “reverse searing”. Giant Costco sirloins finished in cast iron. I pulled them from the oven at 120°, but probably should have pulled them at 110°-115° for med-rare. These were a perfect medium.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    You can also foil to get it past the stall, then remove the foil to "recrisp" the bark. Similar to the 3-2-1 method for ribs. And IME foiling usually shortens the cooking time, probably by preventing cooling from evaporation and convection.

I use the 3-2-1 method for my St. Louis ribs since my first attempt with two racks, it's a surefire guarantee to get great tasting ribs. Now all I have to do is abandon the 6 burner LP grill in favor of pellet grill, possibly a Traeger.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    First attempt at “reverse searing”. Giant Costco sirloins finished in cast iron. I pulled them from the oven at 120°, but probably should have pulled them at 110°-115° for med-rare. These were a perfect medium.

I would eat that, and I am picky. Very picky. :thumbsup:

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry

Need some Asparagus.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Traeger hasn't really done anything to improve their lineup since they first started selling them. About the only thing they've done is slap a stainless steel lid on it and Jack up the price. Rectec makes a better product, and that's what I recommend for a decent price. Yoder is even better with heavier steel, hotter temps, adjustable damper. It's more expensive, but it's worth the price. My Yoder can easily hit over 750 degrees which is great for searing. My old Traeger is not stock. It's double wall insulated which is something you won't find unless you're wanting to spend over $3,000.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The double wall insulation IS something you'll want as you get more into the hobby. It makes life much easier and does lengthen the season since air temp becomes less a concern.

Of course you could always pony up for a bge and not worry about it.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The double wall insulation IS something you'll want as you get more into the hobby. It makes life much easier and does lengthen the season since air temp becomes less a concern.

Of course you could always pony up for a bge and not worry about it.
    I have the Traeger insulating blankets, and use it year round. My only complaint is that it doesn’t get hot enough for real grilling. On a hot summer day it may go to 500* tops. I’ve seared off large chunks of meat on the BGE at about 900*.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I have the Traeger insulating blankets, and use it year round. My only complaint is that it doesn’t get hot enough for real grilling. On a hot summer day it may go to 500* tops. I’ve seared off large chunks of meat on the BGE at about 900*.

Yep the blankets are good also. Our first smoker was a thin sheetmetal one and it worked but it was a chore to maintain any temp and sure's hell wasn't going to see 900*!

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Finally decided on a Green Mountain Daiel Boone. I loved the Yoders, but just couldnt justify the price tag. The Green Mountain seems really solid, getting ready to put wigs and a pork tenderloin on soon, so i will report back with results.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Finally decided on a Green Mountain Daiel Boone. I loved the Yoders, but just couldnt justify the price tag. The Green Mountain seems really solid, getting ready to put wigs and a pork tenderloin on soon, so i will report back with results.

i love my Green Mountain. A buddy has a GM and a Traeger. After talking with him, I bought the GM. I added a cover and a rack for the front. I really need to check out the freezer and see what sounds good for next weekend.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

I choked on the price tag until I used it. Now, I don't regret it.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Get Lumberjack pellets. I split a pallet to save on cost, but they're the best brand of pellets. Don't buy Traeger pellets. They use alder and flavor them with wood oil.

Top Bottom