• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Did a 7 Lb Pork Shoulder Sunday for watching football all day. Turned out great.

I tried something different this time that I had never tried with a pork shoulder. Essentially I brined it in apple juice, root beer, and bourbon for 18 hours before applying the rub and letting it sit overnight rubbed down. I dont know if it was my imagination or not but I think it was the best shoulder Ive done yet. It was a hit with the guests as well. Paired up with homemade Mac N Cheese and Baked beans. yumm.

gVoquxS
    gVoquxS
    gVoquxS.jpg
    [/IMG]

OLJ5DAH.jpg
    [/IMG]

C53WsTI.jpg
    [/IMG

95xv5pL.jpg
    [/IMG]

]

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Pizzas on the Weber tonight. Won't be many days like this before the snow flies.
    b1a5537dc113d5c79b15374659eb521b.jpg

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Snow just means move the grill into the garage.

Some of us don't have a garage, but that's never stopped me. I've shoveled a path the day after a 30" snowfall, just to use the grill before.

I just did burgers on the grill today. Spent most the day ripping out the garden and tilling in the 6 months worth of compost.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Doing a 11# pork shoulder today. It’s been on for 7 hours already at 235 degrees, and is currently stalled at 158 degrees. Luckily I planned for the stall and it should be finished in plenty of time to rest for 30 minutes before dinner at 7. :drool:

fEyy273.jpg

Attachments

• 1BE056F4-CA31-4C50-B00E-64D349A4CC6F.jpg
      1BE056F4-CA31-4C50-B00E-64D349A4CC6F.jpg
      132.5 KB · Views: 3
    Last edited:

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    Doing a 11# pork shoulder today. It’s been on for 7 hours already at 235 degrees, and is currently stalled at 158 degrees. Luckily I planned for the stall and it should be finished in plenty of time to rest for 30 minutes before dinner at 7. :drool:

fEyy273.jpg

Looks great!

That’s a fast smoke in my book. Anymore I never check the temp on a butt. From trial and error I can take em to 1.5 hrs per pound when they are big like that and end up with nice juicy meat. That sucker would’ve taken me 16-17 hrs, lol.

What temp do you stop at?

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I take it to 170 naked, then foil it and take it to 190. The bone will slide right out and it’ll be tender and delicious. I always go by temperature and not time. Before I started monitoring temperature I was never able to get it just right by just going by time. Now I feel like I can’t miss.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    As predicted, the pork was delicious, tender, and juicy. I let it rest for 45 minutes and pulled it by hand, no tools needed. Perfectly done.

Had some sammiches with candied jalapeños and bbq sauce on toasted buns with a side of home made slaw. Soooooooooo good!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I take it to 170 naked, then foil it and take it to 190. The bone will slide right out and it’ll be tender and delicious. I always go by temperature and not time. Before I started monitoring temperature I was never able to get it just right by just going by time. Now I feel like I can’t miss.
    Curious, on the BGE I have to go to 200+ internal to get the bone to slide out? Granted, I don’t pull it and foil it because I think it softens the bark too much?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Curious, on the BGE I have to go to 200+ internal to get the bone to slide out? Granted, I don’t pull it and foil it because I think it softens the bark too much?

It’s not only hitting about temp, it’s how long it’s at temp. It takes a while to break down the collagen and connective tissue, and that doesn’t really start until about 180° VUPD’s foil method slows the process giving it more time to get tender by 190°. You can get the same results by lowering the smoker temp towards the end of the cook to give it more time in the 180°-195° range without risking the crispy bark to foil.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    In my house the crispy bark is not sought after. I know that’s sacrilege but it is what it is and I have to live with these people. :laugh: I have used butcher paper in place of foil in the past and I get good results and also crispy bark. Same way for brisket, butcher paper gets the meat where it needs to be and doesn’t sacrifice the bark.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    In my house the crispy bark is not sought after. I know that’s sacrilege but it is what it is and I have to live with these people. :laugh: I have used butcher paper in place of foil in the past and I get good results and also crispy bark. Same way for brisket, butcher paper gets the meat where it needs to be and doesn’t sacrifice the bark.
    :faint::facepalm:

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    So I have several smokers, but I need a new grill. I've always had a gas grill before, but now I've been looking at pellet poopers. It would be nice to have one where I can grill burgers or chicken, and also smoke a butt or rack or ribs on it so I don't have to fire up one of my bigger smokers when I'm only cooking for my son and I.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Rec Tec RT-590 and the Green Mountain Daniel Boone model.
    https://www.rectecgrills.com/rt-590-pellet-grill/
    https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/grills/prime-wifi/daniel-boone-wifi-prime/

Does anyone on here have experience with either of these brands?

Top Bottom