• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I don't see a path for advancement here. I see enhancing a paradigm that only highly trained people should ever be allowed to exercise their constitutional rights on school property. When we got the king's permission to keep them in our locked cars, that was moving the sticks. To me, the is more like putting a monument in the ground than moving sticks.

I can dig where you're coming from GFGT. From what I've observed, setting the clock back to 1990 (or 1982 in my case) is a bridge too far probably for our lifetimes. We're against the usual anti-2A suspects as well as the Noblesville parents and the Teacher's Union. Last year I used the word "deterrence" when I spoke in favor of the result of passing the bill. Deterrence works, and compared to where we are now with schools being unarmed victim zones? There's an action and a result in this case and the result is deterrence.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I don't see a path for advancement here. I see enhancing a paradigm that only highly trained people should ever be allowed to exercise their constitutional rights on school property. When we got the king's permission to keep them in our locked cars, that was moving the sticks. To me, the is more like putting a monument in the ground than moving sticks.

This bill is designed strictly to provide those schools, and staff, that want to be able to defend themselves in the event of an active shooter political cover by providing a standardized training format designed by the people we trust to train our police officers and paid for by the state. Nothing more, nothing less. Indiana has made INCREDIBLE progress in the past few years, despite having a somewhat "soft" 2A super majority of Republicans in both chambers, along with a Republican governor. We have a lifetime license that is shall issue with no training requirement. We can now keep a firearm in our vehicles on school property. We have perhaps the best civil and criminal protection of a justified use of force in the nation (the NRA is using that language as model language for the rest of the nation) and July 1st of 2020, we will have a free 5 year license that is NICS aligned (hopefully, the AG will rule that it will be sufficient to not have to fill out a 4473 any more) that can be had along with a lifetime license. The hope here is that the police will get tired of doing all of that work handing out free 5 year licenses that they'll capitulate and agree to Constitutional Carry.
    Are we where everyone would like to be? No. But, we're a hell of a lot better off than a lot of other states and we're still making progress in the right direction and not playing hard-core defense, like they are in Virginia.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We’ve got bills! All Senate, no House yet.

I wish I knew how to edit this... substitute BILLS for bush... :):

iu

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This bill is designed strictly to provide those schools, and staff, that want to be able to defend themselves in the event of an active shooter political cover by providing a standardized training format designed by the people we trust to train our police officers and paid for by the state. Nothing more, nothing less. Indiana has made INCREDIBLE progress in the past few years, despite having a somewhat "soft" 2A super majority of Republicans in both chambers, along with a Republican governor. We have a lifetime license that is shall issue with no training requirement. We can now keep a firearm in our vehicles on school property. We have perhaps the best civil and criminal protection of a justified use of force in the nation (the NRA is using that language as model language for the rest of the nation) and July 1st of 2020, we will have a free 5 year license that is NICS aligned (hopefully, the AG will rule that it will be sufficient to not have to fill out a 4473 any more) that can be had along with a lifetime license. The hope here is that the police will get tired of doing all of that work handing out free 5 year licenses that they'll capitulate and agree to Constitutional Carry.
    Are we where everyone would like to be? No. But, we're a hell of a lot better off than a lot of other states and we're still making progress in the right direction and not playing hard-core defense, like they are in Virginia.

Is this "it" for this year?

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I wish I knew how to edit this... substitute BILLS for bush... :):

iu

I was going to give a synopsis of some of the bills introduced on the Senate-side, and you've invoked Booger from Revenge of the Nerds. Not all the Founders saw this coming, Ben Franklin did I'm pretty sure.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    OK, time for a quick look at some of the bills on the Senate-side.

SB-9: Target shooting liability and agritourism. Provides that a person who goes upon a premises for the purpose of target shooting does not have an assurance that the premises is safe for that purpose. Provides that a natural resource based agritourism activity includes target shooting.
    (Jim Tomes).

SB-16: (I seem to remember discussion on this in one of the bills last year.) Juvenile delinquents and firearms. Prohibits a person who has been adjudicated a delinquent child for committing an act while armed with a firearm that would be a serious violent felony if committed by an adult (serious delinquent) from possessing a firearm unless the person is at least: (1) 26 years of age, in the case of less serious acts; or (2) 28 years of age, in the case of more serious acts. Makes possession of a firearm by a serious delinquent a Class A misdemeanor, and increases the penalty to a Level 6 felony for a second or subsequent offense. Prohibits the expungement of the juvenile records of a serious delinquent unless the person is at least 26 or 28 years of age, depending on the seriousness of the underlying delinquent acts. (Mike Bohacek)

SBs 28 and 29: UBCs and a vague storage law. (Stoops, D NRA-ILA F). Sounds like last year's bills, didn't see a committee hearing.

SB 69:

Possession of firearms on school property. Exempts certain law enforcement and retired law enforcement officers described in the federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) from the prohibition against carrying a firearm on school property. Makes conforming amendments. (Jack Sandlin)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    On SB 16 did they pull 26 and 28 years old from their asses, or is there research to establish those as useful thresholds? I’m just not all that fond of laws with arbitrary numbers.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    On SB 16 did they pull 26 and 28 years old from their asses, or is there research to establish those as useful thresholds? I’m just not all that fond of laws with arbitrary numbers.

Excellent question. Email the Senator who introduced it and ask about the orifice.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Not sure, but don't hold your breath for anything huge in a short session going into an election year with soft super majorities.
    Sometimes, reality simply sucks.

I wonder... No doubt the republican leadership is reluctant to take any bold steps because they doubt Indiana's commitment to even more liberal gun legislation. But at a time where we're seeing folks standing up and threatening serious civil disobedience in places like Va, are they selling Hoosier gun owners short?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

It doesn't matter. It's just another "just do something" waste of time piece of......legislation that they will seldomly ever prosecute anyone for.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    OK, time for a quick look at some of the bills on the Senate-side.

SB-9: Target shooting liability and agritourism. Provides that a person who goes upon a premises for the purpose of target shooting does not have an assurance that the premises is safe for that purpose. Provides that a natural resource based agritourism activity includes target shooting.
    (Jim Tomes).

SB-16: (I seem to remember discussion on this in one of the bills last year.) Juvenile delinquents and firearms. Prohibits a person who has been adjudicated a delinquent child for committing an act while armed with a firearm that would be a serious violent felony if committed by an adult (serious delinquent) from possessing a firearm unless the person is at least: (1) 26 years of age, in the case of less serious acts; or (2) 28 years of age, in the case of more serious acts. Makes possession of a firearm by a serious delinquent a Class A misdemeanor, and increases the penalty to a Level 6 felony for a second or subsequent offense. Prohibits the expungement of the juvenile records of a serious delinquent unless the person is at least 26 or 28 years of age, depending on the seriousness of the underlying delinquent acts. (Mike Bohacek)

SBs 28 and 29: UBCs and a vague storage law. (Stoops, D NRA-ILA F). Sounds like last year's bills, didn't see a committee hearing.

SB 69:

Possession of firearms on school property. Exempts certain law enforcement and retired law enforcement officers described in the federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) from the prohibition against carrying a firearm on school property. Makes conforming amendments. (Jack Sandlin)

Thanks for pulling these out, Kelly.

I had made a commitment to myself that this year I'd make a serious effort to attend committee meetings and speak up for whatever bills made it to committee. So far...I'm not seeing any worth the gas and parking fees.

SB9? Eh.......OK?
    SB16? Umm....sure...fine, I guess...
    SB28 and 29? I'm sure this won't be the only attempted roll back by leftist gun haters.
    SB69? Nope...I hate this sort of special rights for people with special credentials legislation. On the other hand, I might show up just to speak against this one.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    And now we have this:

SB 203: (Senator Greg "Obtuse" Taylor, if this sees the light of day in a committee I'll be shocked.)
    Firearms. Prohibits the: (1) sale; (2) trade; or (3) transfer; of a regulated weapon to a person less than 21 years of age. Provides that a dealer or person who knowingly or intentionally: (1) sells; (2) trades; or (3) transfers; a regulated weapon to a person less than 21 years of age commits a Level 6 felony. Provides certain defenses. Prohibits a person from possessing, selling, or offering for sale a magazine or similar device for a firearm with a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition. Provides that a person who: (1) knowingly; or (2) intentionally; openly carries a prohibited weapon in a public place commits carrying a prohibited firearm, a Class A misdemeanor. Creates the crime of "unlawful possession of a multiburst trigger activator". Provides that the possession or sale of a multiburst trigger activator is a Class A misdemeanor. Provides that the crime of unlawful possession of a multiburst trigger activator is a Level 6 felony if the person has a prior, unrelated conviction for the offense.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I saw where Jim Lucas is going to offer a bill that is intended to address malicious red flag reporting. Sorry, I don’t have a link but it’s on his FB page.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I saw where Jim Lucas is going to offer a bill that is intended to address malicious red flag reporting. Sorry, I don’t have a link but it’s on his FB page.
    That sounds very familiar to one he had last year. False report someone committing a felony, the false reporter would be charged at the equivalent level. I don’t remember it coming up for a hearing. I’d like to see his tax credit for training and storage devices come up again.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That sounds very familiar to one he had last year. False report someone committing a felony, the false reporter would be charged at the equivalent level. I don’t remember it coming up for a hearing. I’d like to see his tax credit for training and storage devices come up again.

I suggested that to him. But I get he didn’t seem inclined to push it again this year. That’s unfortunate too because Indiana lawmakers might be squandering an opportunity here. The democrats never miss a chance to parlay tragedy into legislation. Our side has got to be more ballsy and go for it when we can turn victory into legislation (in reference to what happened in Texas this past weekend).

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I suggested that to him. But I get he didn’t seem inclined to push it again this year. That’s unfortunate too because Indiana lawmakers might be squandering an opportunity here. The democrats never miss a chance to parlay tragedy into legislation. Our side has got to be more ballsy and go for it when we can turn victory into legislation (in reference to what happened in Texas this past weekend).

I like how you're thinking GFGT.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Hi guys. My access Is still limited. But gonna try to get back at this to help a bit.

Short story of what happened. June '18 FT job went to PT, started 2nd Job (PT, but took 2.5 hrs to make up 1 lost). 80 hr weeks the norm. April '19 New FT job, but less$, and lots of adjustments. Also new job blocks INGO, and 99% related sites (ugh). Finally starting to get back as urgency picks up. Still on 2 jobs and limited access.

Also, lacking the hlaf mil for a political war-chest, probably not gonna push the idea of running against the R deputy state chair for Bosma's seat. ... "probably" ... might w no funds just for argument sake.

Top Bottom