• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    A fat separator separates the fat from the natural juices. They are really nice for making gravies, au jus, or just adding the juices back without having the greasy aftertaste. The one the OP posted is nice. Mine looks like a flower watering pot which does a decent job, but it makes a mess.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    A fat separator separates the fat from the natural juices. They are really nice for making gravies, au jus, or just adding the juices back without having the greasy aftertaste. The one the OP posted is nice. Mine looks like a flower watering pot which does a decent job, but it makes a mess.

So is this used with fat gathered from the bottom of a pan after a butt rests in a cooler?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Alright....Tell me about this fat separation?
    It dispenses from the bottom that way you can leave the fat it the container and use the rest for au jus, gravy or just mix it back in to the meat.

Yep collect after resting is how I do it, I know some people who cook it on a roaster style rack to collect them also.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Looks like lunch was last nights dinner. I know in my household there probably would not have been much in the way of leftovers for lunch the next day. We are quite carnivorous.
    We are down to 1 teenager living in the house (Albeit 17yr old, 6'1", 157lbs). So, I felt fortunate to get 5 meals out of that 3lb roast.

Reactions: KG1

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana

I cook mine in a tin pan just to help with less mess on the grill and the juice stays in the pan. After the cook and 2 hour rest I take the meat out and pour the juice in the dispenser through a strainer and let it sit for a little bit. Like Jay said the fat rises to the top and the juice comes out the bottom, this is a $13 pancake batter dispenser I got from Walmart. I pour all the juice back into the meat after it’s pulled!

I also trim pretty much all the fat cap off so more seasoning is on the meat and makes more bark.

I put four more on tonight @ 225° and will let it cook overnight and at about 0730 the IT is about 170°. I wrap in foil and let it cook to 205° IT. Then put them in the oven for about 2 hours to let it rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    8 pork butts in 2 days…Now time for dessert…

6b0ff9e0106ba2efde7f79d31dce07f9.jpg

Last edited:

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    What grill do you have? 2 butts fill my little pellet grill to the max. My UDS is what I need to use if I have to do more.

5ish years ago I cashed in my Cabelas points and got a Cabelas pellet grill. I believe they were made by Camp Chef back then. Not sure on size, guessing 36”, but back then it was the biggest they made.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I'm doing the inaugural smoke on my new Smokey Mountain today. It was running hot so I had to shut off all the air to get it down to 250 and I'm shooting for 225. I think I used too many hot coals to start. It'll be a learning process.

IMG_0688.jpg

Doug28450

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Hobart
    I'm doing the inaugural smoke on my new Smokey Mountain today. It was running hot so I had to shut off all the air to get it down to 250 and I'm shooting for 225. I think I used too many hot coals to start. It'll be a learning process.

View attachment 189492
    Be careful using the built in Weber thermometer. They tend to be inaccurate. I've been through two and won't buy another one. To keep mine in the 225 range, I typically have the lower vents nearly closed and the top about half closed.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Be careful using the built in Weber thermometer. They tend to be inaccurate. I've been through two and won't buy another one. To keep mine in the 225 range, I typically have the lower vents nearly closed and the top about half closed.
    Appreciate the tips. I have a second temperature probe at the grill grate and it's reading +25-30 relative to the lid thermometer. I got the lid thermo down to around 225 and the ribs have been sitting at 250-255. Next time I'll run it cooler. I also discovered roughly the same vent arrangement that you described.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    This!

My built in started out bad and only got worse. Now it does not even move.

A smoker thermometer with two or three probes is well worth the investment...One to monitor grate temp and another or two to monitor internal temp of meat.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Appreciate the tips. I have a second temperature probe at the grill grate and it's reading +25-30 relative to the lid thermometer. I got the lid thermo down to around 225 and the ribs have been sitting at 250-255. Next time I'll run it cooler. I also discovered roughly the same vent arrangement that you described.

Looking forward to the AAR!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Yep!

Just saw the probe.

They should turn out good!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom