• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I assume you guys are grilling when you say lighting a full chimney of charcoal. What are you guys grilling that you're using that much charcoal? When I used a kettle to grill I never really used more than a half chimney and for smoking I only light 8-12 pieces.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    I assume you guys are grilling when you say lighting a full chimney of charcoal. What are you guys grilling that you're using that much charcoal? When I used a kettle to grill I never really used more than a half chimney and for smoking I only light 8-12 pieces.
    8-12 pieces would last how long?
    Hey like i said i am Novice.
    Half Chimney for a quik grill and for slow indirect i sometimes use more than1 chimney.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    8-12 pieces would last how long?
    Hey like i said i am Novice.
    Half Chimney for a quik grill and for slow indirect i sometimes use more than1 chimney.
    I only light 8-12 those pieces then light the other ones over time. That's how I get it to last 5-6hours before needing more fuel. If I lit the whole chimney it probably wouldn't even last 3 in mine.

I probably use 2 chimney full to get those 5-6 hours, but my UDS takes a lot of fuel, but I used the same method when I had a kettle.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Wife, me, and several friends like to bowl. I mean, we all suck, but we like to drink beer. and have fun. We'd go a few times a year to one of the big, modern bowl-o-ramas, but it ends up being a pretty expensive night out anymore.

We discovered that we can rent out the little 4 lane alley in our local American Legion for 3 hours for $35. You then pay $3 per person, per game. The best part is you can bring in your own food and drink.

I was looking for something to cook on the RecTeq that I've never made before to take tonight and decided on this...

Smoked Chicken Lollipops Recipe

We'll see if they end up looking as good as Mr Reed's...

smokedchickenlollipops.jpg

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Smokin deal if you're local and looking for a great pellet smoker...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I am reverse searing a pair of choice New York strips from Howard and Sons Meats in Munster. I did the slow part at 225 and ran mine to 105, my wife's to 125. I am now running the grill to high grilling temp for the sear. I am at 550 now and think I can get it over 600.

Possibly pic to follow if I remember.

[ETA] I remembered. Rare on the left, medium on the right.
    F2A1BC8F-AB70-4752-9C8C-0D0A630D56F5.jpeg
    656AE188-CB1E-42F8-B7E9-C9B492B7E853.jpeg
    Once I got through some "growing pains" with the grill (Oklahoma Joes Rider DLX), it has been great. It can do 12 hour+ low and slow or sear over 600 degrees, and combinations thereof.

Last edited:

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I will be retiring at the end of this week after 36 years with my Company. My boss and I both share a love of grilling, smoking and bourbon which he has shared and taught me lot about over the past few years. He drove up from Memphis to visit for a few days and say goodbye. Today he gifted me a generous sampling of his favorite bourbon, rubs and spices as well as a few local products from some popular barbecue joints in Memphis.

IMG_0696.jpg

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I am reverse searing a pair of choice New York strips from Howard and Sons Meats in Munster. I did the slow part at 225 and ran mine to 105, my wife's to 125. I am now running the grill to high grilling temp for the sear. I am at 550 now and think I can get it over 600.

Possibly pic to follow if I remember.

[ETA] I remembered. Rare on the left, medium on the right.
    View attachment 191029
    View attachment 191030
    Once I got through some "growing pains" with the grill (Oklahoma Joes Rider DLX), it has been great. It can do 12 hour+ low and slow or sear over 600 degrees, and combinations thereof.

Howard and Sons has some good stuff.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I will be retiring at the end of this week after 36 years with my Company. My boss and I both share a love of grilling, smoking and bourbon which he has shared and taught me lot about over the past few years. He drove up from Memphis to visit for a few days and say goodbye. Today he gifted me a generous sampling of his favorite bourbon, rubs and spices as well as a few local products from some popular barbecue joints in Memphis.

View attachment 191550
    Is that a bottle of the private release 2020 Weller Full Proof I see, wow that's a very nice gift all by itself. Your boss sounds like a good guy.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Is that a bottle of the private release 2020 Weller Full Proof I see, wow that's a very nice gift all by itself. Your boss sounds like a good guy.
    Yes, that is a very special bottle. He has some type of membership with a local shop that gives members first chance at a monthly selection of unique and harder to find items. My boss is a great guy. There is no doubt that he is in charge but, on most days, our relationship is more like that of two peers.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Hit up the butcher today. With prices going up, I figured just by and butcher it up myself. Whole pork belly for bacon and a whole sirloin I broke down into a few different things.

Pork Belly
    View attachment 191934
    Half the Bacon started curing

View attachment 191935
    Whole Sirloin
    View attachment 191936
    Broken down and then wrapped.
    View attachment 191937
    View attachment 191938
    I have made homemade bacon only one time. @PhotoNinja didn't like it because it didn't taste like store-bought, it tasted more "hammy". Is this the first time you have made bacon?
    Wondering if salt content in the cure has anything to do with how mine turned out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom