• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I have made homemade bacon only one time. @PhotoNinja didn't like it because it didn't taste like store-bought, it tasted more "hammy". Is this the first time you have made bacon?
    Wondering if salt content in the cure has anything to do with how mine turned out.
    First time I've done it this way with no curing salt. Just regular salt this time.

It's also the first the I'm using a pellet grill for it, that's the reason for only doing half. If it doesn't turn out good enough I will use the charcoal next time.

If you didn't use enough salt it will definitely not turn out right, also have to let it cure long enough. I go 6-7 days

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    First time I've done it this way with no curing salt. Just regular salt this time.

It's also the first the I'm using a pellet grill for it, that's the reason for only doing half. If it doesn't turn out good enough I will use the charcoal next time.

If you didn't use enough salt it will definitely not turn out right, also have to let it cure long enough. I go 6-7 days
    I used the minimum amount of salt as per the recipe, everything was based on percentages and weights. RECIPE
    I definitely let it set in the cure long enough...15 days. Then smoked in the Bradley.

I still have a couple bellies in the freezer. Once I get though this batch, I may try a different recipe.

I'm still getting bacon from the store for under $4/lb, which is another reason I'm not using up my homemade stuff.

Let me know how your batch turns out.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I used the minimum amount of salt as per the recipe, everything was based on percentages and weights. RECIPE
    I definitely let it set in the cure long enough...15 days. Then smoked in the Bradley.

I still have a couple bellies in the freezer. Once I get though this batch, I may try a different recipe.

I'm still getting bacon from the store for under $4/lb, which is another reason I'm not using up my homemade stuff.

Let me know how your batch turns out.
    Did you use a curing salt? I have heard that not using one changes the flavor. This time I'm not using it so we will see.

I will try to remember to post here to update.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Did you use a curing salt? I have heard that not using one changes the flavor. This time I'm not using it so we will see.

I will try to remember to post here to update.
    Yes, used pink curing salt #1, as well as kosher salt.

Now I gotta go get a pack of my homemade out of the freezer for breakfast tomorrow.:bacondance:

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    21lbs of goose jerky sliced and marinating. Should be ready to smoke on Tuesday!

a604d1792ad29cf73f6b93c6e32d7427.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    I wish I would of weighed how much finished product jerky I had after starting with 21 pounds of meat, I also decided I had room for four batches of snack mix…that stuff is addicting! I used 4 different kinds of rub on the snack mix. Sweet preacher, sweet rub’o mine, meat church honey hog and suckle busters honey BBQ rub.

2526d2fd46f6fc2fef911e41bb545c10.jpg

a83525a1f8cfba7452d0e63be946bbe8.jpg

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I wish I would of weighed how much finished product jerky I had after starting with 21 pounds of meat, I also decided I had room for four batches of snack mix…that stuff is addicting! I used 4 different kinds of rub on the snack mix. Sweet preacher, sweet rub’o mine, meat church honey hog and suckle busters honey BBQ rub.

2526d2fd46f6fc2fef911e41bb545c10.jpg

a83525a1f8cfba7452d0e63be946bbe8.jpg

That jerky looks awesome. :drool:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    High West for $20/bottle and 40lbs of butts for $.99/lb. Arguably, the 2nd biggest Easter miracle ever.
    868a311901b40298e5785f952b9b2755.jpg

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom