Not open for further replies.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Cooked up some braised and glazed short ribs a couple nights ago. Served over some white cheddar grits with some spring onions. Probably the most intensely flavored dish I've ever cooked. I unintentionally braised it to within seconds of burning, got lucky and got back from a Costco run and smelled it as soon as I hit the porch. I debated between potatoes or grits and I'm glad I went with the grits, the potatoes wouldn't have been able to hold up to the beef.
    h7ltqzAh.jpg
    Spring onions with grits are......

DELICIOUS!!!

Looks great.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That looks and sounds delicious. I've never been able to pull off good short ribs.
    They're super easy. Just brown them well in an oven safe stock pot with a couple tbsp of oil. Pull them out and set aside then add onions and just about whatever else you'd like to the pot and saute until they start to soften. You should have lots of sticky brown goodness on the bottom of the pot, pour 1/4 cup (or more) of white or red wine and scrape up all of those brown bits from the bottom of the pan.

Put the ribs back in the pot and add some beef or chicken stock, I usually bring the level just below the tops of the short ribs, put the lid on the pot and put it in a 350* oven. Check on it after about two hours and make sure it doesn't dry up and burn. You can add whatever liquid you want as needed, just keep some liquid in there until the ribs get to your desired tenderness. I like em to feel like a room temp stick of butter.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Man, I could see maybe 1 oddball in the bunch but 4? Sheesh. How could that happen?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I just dropped two chickens on the BGE at 380*, should be done in about an hour. I halved the birds and brined them in the "Cornell Chicken" brine. I've not had it before but there are a lot of Youtube videos about it so I figured it must be decent. Mine are smoking with alder, I'll try to remember to take pics along the way.

Reactions: KG1

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    We cooked up some big plump chicken breasts with a little mesquite smoke on the Weber this afternoon. They cooked to about 150F in a pan of Wickers marinade with the smoke and then finished over direct heat with a sprinkle of Memphis style rub. Never used mesquite with chicken before but I'm an instant fan of it now.

IMG_0902.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We cooked up some big plump chicken breasts with a little mesquite smoke on the Weber this afternoon. They cooked to about 150F in a pan of Wickers marinade with the smoke and then finished over direct heat with a sprinkle of Memphis style rub. Never used mesquite with chicken before but I'm an instant fan of it now.

View attachment 201751
    I cut my bbq teeth with mesquite smoked chicken breasts on a Weber kettle. Those look great!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Smoking pork butt this weekend.

I have always injected them with apple juice the night before. I am thinking about skipping that to see how it compares.

What do others here do? Inject or just go?

I have also done dry rubs the night before. Thinking about trying it where I do that an hour or so before they go on. What do others here do?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

I have always injected them with apple juice the night before. I am thinking about skipping that to see how it compares.

I have also done dry rubs the night before. Thinking about trying it where I do that an hour or so before they go on. What do others here do?
    I just go.

I use a rub and let it sweat in for a few hours, then on the smoker it goes. I put mine on about 10pm, then when I wake up I put it in a foil pan, cover it with brown sugar, and a stick of butter, put aluminum foil over the pan to wrap it, and back on the smoker til it probes tender.

After it’s done I take the butt from the pan, pour the juice into a fat separator, pull the pork, and pour the juice over it.

Won’t disappoint.

One tip, after the butt is done, open the foil on top and let it steam out, then close it back up to rest. It’ll help the bark not get soggy.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

I do not inject. I use my homemade dry rub. Try to apply 24 hours before going on the smoker. Leave uncovered and remove from fridge about an hour before it goes on.

I've got one dethawing now. Will do it either Sunday or Monday.

Tomorrow is Burgers, Beer Brats, and chicken legs

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom