• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'd gotten a PM requesting a synopsis of the 2024 legislative session. I was drafting my article for the Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association's quarterly newsletter and I'm a firm believer in copy/paste.

ISRPA members: I think the only difference in what you'll see in the newsletter is that I use my real name.

A little different for ISRPA members than INGOers, better English and fewer ****'s!!

Government Affairs Report

KellyinAvon, Co-Director, Government Affairs​

The 2024 Indiana General Assembly session has come and gone. Sine Die (I think that’s Latin for, “We’re done here”) was called on 11 March. This was my first year representing the ISRPA and I’m glad I had the seven previous legislative sessions to practice before introducing myself as part of this great organization. As with every legislative session there were strong bills that if they would’ve received a hearing, I would’ve been there to testify in support. At this time every year many of us are saying “we’ll get them next year.” With that said, there was a lot of solid legislation passed this year that will do great things for Hoosier gun owners.

Early on in my role as Co-Director of Government Affairs I set the goal to not send so many legislative emails that I end up in anyone’s SPAM folder. Throughout the short 2024 legislative session I did wonder if any of you exiled me to your SPAM folder because I sent A LOT of legislative action alerts. Two very important bills passed the legislature and were signed by the Governor, with the help of ISRPA members reaching out to their elected officials.

As I’ve written before, I was proud to be part of the pro-2A team who assembled numerous times at the Statehouse. These included: John Weber (NRA-ILA Lobbyist,) Christopher Lee (National Shooting Sports Foundation,) and Guy Relford (The 2A Project.) We also had a number of individuals who came and testified (representing themselves) in support of the bills. In every hearing this year our team outnumbered “the usual suspects” who oppose everything involving gun ownership. That was a really great thing!

A bill which I predicted would be a fight (and I was correct) was House Bill 1235, Prohibited Causes of Action Concerning Firearms. This bill prohibits political subdivisions from filing nuisance lawsuits against firearms and ammunition manufacturers, dealers, sellers, and trade associations. HB 1235 would also put an end to a 25-year-old lawsuit (known as Gary v Glock) that is currently putting the personal information on an estimated 400,000 ATF Form 4473s at risk.

After passing the House committee and the full House, HB 1235 headed for the Senate. The pro-2A team was joined by Constitutional Attorney Jim Bopp from Terre Haute. That was a very long day but the bill narrowly passed out of committee. The bill passed the Senate, but we had six Republicans vote no.

Another important bill that passed this year was House Bill 1084 Privacy of Firearms Financial Transactions. This bill bans the use of merchant category codes to identify firearms purchases as well banning creating registries of gun owners.

I’ve testified for a lot of bills (and against a few) in the last eight years. I’ve never been more concerned about what I found during my research for testimony, and I’ve never kept finding things that made me more concerned than with this bill.

I’m sure many of you remember the press release from US House Judiciary Chair Jim Jordan concerning the use of terms like “MAGA” and “Trump” being used to track purchases using debit and credit cards. That was what made the news. That was the first paragraph of a five-page press release. What didn’t make the news is what I included in my testimony. It quickly became clear no one was looking for the next mass shooter as advertised. If you’re looking for debit/credit card purchases at Delta Defense (US Concealed Carry Association,) Dillon Precision (reloading equipment,) and AR15.com (moderated online discussion forum,) you’re looking for gun owners.

HB 1084 did not pass in the same form it was introduced. Through the amendment process the Attorney General’s Office will not have primary responsibility for investigating the abuses identified in HB 1084. The Attorney General with a big stick would be much preferred to the banking regulators who now will oversee this activity. I’ve heard the legislative process referred to as “making sausage”. I now realize this isn’t a positive term.

Not all bills were a fight like House Bills 1235 and 1084. House Bill 1143 Disposal of Firearms via Trade for New Equipment gives Police Departments more options for disposing of firearms. Previously public auction was the only means of disposal for certain firearms. Now trading for new equipment or ammunition (with other departments or Federal Firearms Licensees) are also options. HB 1143 passed out of the House on an 83-14 vote with 16 Democrats voting in favor. While it passed out of the Senate on a party-line vote, there was no real opposition. As I said in my testimony, “More options lead to better options. Better options lead to a better use of resources. A better use of resources leads to paying less in taxes.”

While not in my lane (to borrow a line from the US Navy) Senate Bill 241 Taking Bobcats was certainly being tracked by ISRPA leadership. This bill which will legalize bobcat hunting was signed by the Governor and will establish a Bobcat Season no later than 1 July 2025.

The 2024 legislative session was by all estimates highly successful. With the exception of 2022 (when Constitutional Carry of handguns passed) I’d say this is the most successful year I’ve seen for 2nd Amendment supporters at the Indiana Statehouse. Are we done? Not by a long shot.

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    After passing the House committee and the full House, HB 1235 headed for the Senate. The pro-2A team was joined by Constitutional Attorney Jim Bopp from Terre Haute. That was a very long day but the bill narrowly passed out of committee. The bill passed the Senate, but we had six Republicans vote no
    Rino's.. Not surprised. I'm sure all would vote for Jefferson "the Idiot" Shreve if they have a opportunity to..

Top Bottom