• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    All else being equal, or as close as possible. A sling/jacket shooter is at a disadvantage to a bench/bipod/bag shooter in this match.

:)

Wanna bet?

Hahaha! I kinda figger the thing the same way, but then again, 2:30 is a long time, and I am totally fine with failing.

Hell, I AM a Service Rifle shooter afterall.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    All else being equal, or as close as possible. A sling/jacket shooter is at a disadvantage to a bench/bipod/bag shooter in this match.

I've had conversations with a few people who insist that shooting with just a sling is superior to a bipod, regardless of the situation. In each of those conversations, exactly zero of them knew how to use a bipod effectively and some had never even tried it.

I don't have much experience with a sling, but I definitely shoot better with a bipod.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Wow! I'm offline for a few hours to work with the new college team and I miss out on all the good dialogue! A quick FYI for those interested, Riley Conservation Club bought the gear from the disbanded Rose Hulman NCAA Rifle Team and we are resurrecting the program as a intercollegiate club level team. Starting from scratch with newbie 10 meter shooters to create a team for the 2019-2020 school year. Tonight was our 2nd practice.

Back to topic....when previously asked about slings, I took it to mean as an add-on accessory to the front rest. I don't recall anyone asking about it as an alternative to bipod/backpack. I've been to Appleseed for one day, it kicked my butt, and at my level, the sling is not as solid as a bipod. Pursuant to further discussion, I'm inclined to go with slings in the text as an alternative to front rest, especially if it would draw Appleseed or RR shooters.

All- please refer back to the 3 formats I intend to rotate thru the season. "20 Straight" & "Half & Half" are more conducive to new/newer shooters, and easier for sling shooters. Side match? we'll see.

Nate- you have some catching up to do. We now allow 5 round mags, and have streamlined the shooting to run 20 shots in 8-10 minutes to make the match run more efficiently. I'll post an updated rules/format in a future thread.

Match Directors Pet Peeve: Shooters who aren't ready when it's their turn to shoot. We work hard to run efficiently. When I call "SHOOTERS TO THE LINE" please don't be the guy that says "It's my turn? Oh *****, where's my ammo" and then makes everyone wait while you load mags, adjust bipod, adjust parallax, find your first target, etc. It's just rude. I'll reiterate this at the competitors meeting, I just wanted to get it off my chest. Rant over, and thanks.

First match is last Saturday in March and will be "20 Straight". A good ice breaker for newbies.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Wow! I'm offline for a few hours to work with the new college team and I miss out on all the good dialogue! A quick FYI for those interested, Riley Conservation Club bought the gear from the disbanded Rose Hulman NCAA Rifle Team and we are resurrecting the program as a intercollegiate club level team. Starting from scratch with newbie 10 meter shooters to create a team for the 2019-2020 school year. Tonight was our 2nd practice.

That is awesome news!

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    That is awesome news!

Just showing our well rounded diversification. Kudos to RCC Board of Directors (several INGO members) for their evaluation and recommendation (approval) to take it to the membership, and their patience while we sloooooowly put the pieces back together.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    This is awesome! I can't really pretend to be surprised though...sounds about right.
    Wow! I'm offline for a few hours to work with the new college team and I miss out on all the good dialogue! A quick FYI for those interested, Riley Conservation Club bought the gear from the disbanded Rose Hulman NCAA Rifle Team and we are resurrecting the program as a intercollegiate club level team. Starting from scratch with newbie 10 meter shooters to create a team for ... 2019-2020...

Do you need another coach from time to time?

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Do you need another coach from time to time?

You may regret offering, my kids have accused me of working them like a rented mule!

Former Rose coach and All American Jason Labella is working with the team as we get started, and handing off the reins to Brian Harder, a F-class shooter that qualified for US Shooting team. We also have a former Rose shooter Steve? Brannon that has offered to help. As the team progresses, I'm sure we'll seek input in specific aspects of position shooting. Some of the newbie team live local, so even though the collegiate season ends in March, we may arrange some training opportunities when the weather warms and we can shoot outdoors on weekends. My personal intent is to keep it fun for them, utilize cross training such as smallbore rifle silhouette and our 22 long range match so they can improve skill sets without a 12 lb smallbore rifle.

So the short answer is yes, the longer answer is we're still taking baby steps and focusing for several weeks on standing. Again, thanks, and we'll take you up on the offer at a later time.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Sounds like a plan!

Offhand is my specialty, but the major difference is that my coat is certainly not ISSF/NCAA legal, being a Monard Highpower coat. Not that it affects the base position all that much...maybe I should have a different position in Silo than with the coat--and I guess I do have some minor changes--but overall, I shoot a very similar style.

-Nate

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Curious if you would allow 22 WMR. Or is it LR only?

Probly 100% LR only. No Stingers or similar either.

The power factor of the heavier loads can damage or break the steel targets.

...but Rich and Riley may have a different opinion. Their targets are not cast steel like conventional silo, so...

Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    This sounds like a blast...I'm definitely a better "rifle builder" than shooter, but it would be fun to try out one of my creations on a longer range. I'm pretty sure they weigh more than 8 lbs thanks to a wood stock but my eyeglass prescription more than offsets any advantage the weight might provide. :-)

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    22 LR only. We allow stingers because they lose velocity so fast I don't think they damage targets at 75y.

Game is geared at what you would have on a varmint/squirrel hunt.

I intend to post full details & dates in a separate thread soon. Watch for it.

Thanks for your interest!

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I believe someone mentioned this up thread reference shooting off a bench, if I get my "crew" to come down and shoot this match (4 shooters) we'll all be using the bench. Yes we are a sad lot. Any consideration to allow shooting from the sitting position?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I believe someone mentioned this up thread reference shooting off a bench, if I get my "crew" to come down and shoot this match (4 shooters) we'll all be using the bench. Yes we are a sad lot. Any consideration to allow shooting from the sitting position?

Ehm..

I don't recommend it. I don't know too many people with a hold small enough in sitting, even with a hard sling position, to hit these targets reliably.

Bench is not really a problem.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Number of benches shouldn't be an issue. If the overall number of entries are higher, there will be more relays.

More relays sound like more standing around and it is a bit, but I actually welcome it. Things get pretty busy between shooting and spotting, especially if choosing to shoot two guns. There have been times when I have been pressed to work in reloading mags, taking a whiz, etc.

Top Bottom