• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It has been perfect for me. Kinda keeps the Ar bug away since I don’t like shooting them as much or buying the ammo. Same look and is an absolute tac driver. You’re more than welcome to check it out. I know we’re not too far apart

Best thing I've heard all day. :thumbsup:
    Getting ready to go out the door for 2-3 hours, but when I get home I'll pm you!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Seems like I advised some time back that a 15-22 and drop a red dot on it and you would be in hog heaven, especially if you found some place to shoot steel with it.

Love my 15-22. I have the MOE version.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Seems like I advised some time back that a 15-22 and drop a red dot on it and you would be in hog heaven, especially if you found some place to shoot steel with it.
    Love my 15-22. I have the MOE version.

I look forward to shooting one soon.
    I know someone who has had or shot all of this type and likes the Ruger Precision Rimfire, but they moved on to something else.
    I notice the RPR for sale by those who have had them that now own something else illustrating that choices & opinions abound & evolve.

As an example of choices: after the last 2.7 yrs., I ended up with a Kimber 6s .357 (for house gun & CC) & in the small 9mm, a Sig 938 (CC).

In the .22LR revolver genre I ended up with a Dan Wesson.

After selling all my tip-up barrel micro guns & moving on, I am reluctant to admit it, but I ended up with a Beretta Tomcat Inox .32 acp (when the smallest CC is necessary) & even a Beretta Bobcat .22LR (for range variety/fun): reflecting my roots decades ago.

And, in the .22LR semi-auto genre, I ended up with a S/W 41 & a Ruger Mark 3 (with a Volquartsen barrel & trigger work), after having dozens of semi-autos.
    I have trimmed down as far as I am willing till finances or health force a more austere approach.

I have just started my .22 rifle journey, so who knows what I'll end up with by this time next year.
    But for now, I have the basics: Ruger 10/22 and Ruger Precision Rifle.
    I have tried to buy the CZ .22 rifle a few times, but it never meets my 25% formula for what I'll pay for a used gun less than what I can buy it for new.

I have an optic on five .22LR rifles I've had recently (which is why I got back into the .22 rifle), and even a scope and a red dot on my two .22 pistol range guns.
    No surprise that in the 9mm range gun department, I ended up with a CZ Shadow 2 (with some "tuning") after having 9 different CZs the past year and dozens of other 9mms the past 2.7 yrs.

I have accomplished 7 of my "trimming" goals (better luck with that than my diet goals :laugh: the past 2 months).

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Finally got back to my semi-auto pistols.
    Trying to decide which is best between a Ruger Mark 2 Volquartsen (barrel & trigger) or a S/W 41 from the 80s.
    Different days have different results since I'm the weak X factor.
    All shooting on a cheap plastic rest.
    I had fun dialing it in for 50' (16.7 yds.), a laughable distance but I was at Indy Bunker instead of Point Blank.
    Ruger Mark 3 Volquartsen with a Nikon 2 x20 scope & the SW 41 with a Bushnell red dot (10 levels/sizes of dots & I use #1).

fXPXUUo.jpg

gP2LeJ8.jpg

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    So some ranges are marked in feet not yards? How will we ever tell without asking the RO at every range just incase?
    I'd say that's some decent shooting. I think most of us are the weakest factor when it comes to accuracy. While not always the most productive of days and far as training goes(although it still definitely serves its purpose), I definitely enjoy the day my girlfriend and I just take the 22s to the range. We have 3, a hereitage rough rider, a chiappa 1911-22 and a Taurus pt22 poly. None of them are what would be considered tack drivers by any means but all are accurate enough to practice good marksmanship and play either battleship or poker.

Besides the pt22, beyond 5 yards it can be a challenge to shoot accurately (all that recoil maybe:joke: )

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So some ranges are marked in feet not yards? How will we ever tell without asking the RO at every range just incase?

One range I go to is marked in feet, another in yards.

I'd say that's some decent shooting.

It is enjoyable to use optics and a rest to get results that I can't do anymore standing.
    But, shooting with the PT22 you mentioned, or with a Beretta Bobcatt I also have, I don't use a rest, since that would be even beyond my interest level of record keeping. :)

I think most of us are the weakest factor when it comes to accuracy.

I always have laughed when others have pointed that out to me like I was in denial that I thought it was just the gun.
    Some guns do have a propensity to shoot low and I did have to learn to change how I aimed with them or even how high I griped the gun, but sometimes they were just low and the SW site talked about such & I have had to have the sights drifted, as well on a gun before.

While not always the most productive of days and far as training goes(although it still definitely serves its purpose), I definitely enjoy the day my girlfriend and I just take the 22s to the range. We have 3, a hereitage rough rider, a chiappa 1911-22 and a Taurus pt22 poly. None of them are what would be considered tack drivers by any means but all are accurate enough to practice good marksmanship and play either battleship or poker.

I have had both the Heritage & a few of the PT22 polys & some older metal ones (when they are working they can be fun).
    I have a new PT22 now (so I can send it back to Taurus if/when it won't work), that doesn't work that well with CCI Mini-Mags (like it is supposed to and recommended), but Aguila Super Extra HV works well in it: go figure. :dunno:
    Any HP is a no-no in my experience or a SV (I always have to try to find the limits). :)
    Yet, I have a Beretta Bobcat (.22LR tip-up) that is is just the opposite: CCI Mini-Mags, yes; Aguila, no.

Besides the pt22, beyond 5 yards it can be a challenge to shoot accurately (all that recoil maybe:joke: )

I was shooting one yesterday, and instead of using 20', I was having fun using 12' so I could feel good about myself. :laugh:
    I was just testing ammo to find what else it would eat, but the Aguila again had 0/80 rounds w/o a failure to feed (there were 2 failures to fire (ammo related) & 1 failure to eject completely).

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I was shooting one yesterday, and instead of using 20', I was having fun using 12' so I could feel good about myself. :laugh:
    I was just testing ammo to find what else it would eat, but the Aguila again had 0/80 rounds w/o a failure to feed (there were 2 failures to fire (ammo related) & 1 failure to eject completely).

I will have to try aguila in it. My seems to run mini mags pretty good for the first 50 rounds but once it starts getting a little dirty it has trouble with everything except, to my suprise, bulk pack thunderbolt. It always stovepipes on the last round with either of my mags regardless of ammo. I think the heritage is my favorite to shoot. I've always loved single action revolvers just haven't been able to justify the money for a decent center fire one while I still have more practical guns I 'need'. Hopefully by this summer I can get one to fill the 'BBQ gun' roll.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I will have to try aguila in it. My seems to run mini mags pretty good for the first 50 rounds but once it starts getting a little dirty it has trouble with everything except, to my suprise, bulk pack thunderbolt. It always stovepipes on the last round with either of my mags regardless of ammo. I think the heritage is my favorite to shoot. I've always loved single action revolvers just haven't been able to justify the money for a decent center fire one while I still have more practical guns I 'need'. Hopefully by this summer I can get one to fill the 'BBQ gun' roll.

Yes, you can't run them dirty; you must give them at least a quick rub down after every range trip or you pay for it.
    They are too high-maintenance for me, but I like the challenge of shooting them & love a DA gun.
    The Beretta Bobcat 21A is a DA/SA & not a DAO like the Taurus PT22, and it is fun as well, but a higher price point.
    I'm going to sell the PT22 when I'm done playing with it like I've done with many others over time & maybe keep the Beretta a bit longer but I'm supposed to be trimming the toys in the safe, but I keep replacing them with other toys.
    I enjoy running guns against each other to see who "wins." :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ruger Mark 3 w/Volquartsen barrel trigger.
    50' 3 brands of ammo, all on a rest.
    Very close using the "X" to score with, but the CCI Standard Velocity has the tightest group: no surprise there.
    I thought about doing a page not being on a rest, but I didn't want to depress myself. :laugh:
    aTdXGJb.jpg

sl0tjfQ.jpg
    2H7IjiY.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Nice consistent groups with all ammo tested. The CCI std. vel. shoots very well in most of my 22s. I had a MKII vs. MKII target shoot on Christmas using CCI SV in both pistols.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Nice consistent groups with all ammo tested. The CCI std. vel. shoots very well in most of my 22s. I had a MKII vs. MKII target shoot on Christmas using CCI SV in both pistols.

That's what I love doing: pitting one gun against another in "competition."
    I didn't take the S/W 41 that goes neck & neck with the Mark 3 Volquartsen to the range for the usual "workout."
    I was mainly there to make sure an elevation screw I replaced on a rear sight was doing what it was supposed to do: it was.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Picked up another SW 22A-1: a Talo edition: my 4th of the 22A-1 model.
    A real looker, prettier than my other 3 that I had, and they all shot well.
    I'm debating whether to put a scope on it or just let it be.
    This is a gun that I wish I'd kept one of them, but they got sold off, glad to get this one off a member.
    It only came with 1 mag, and it's supposed to come with 3, so I ordered 2 others to be "correct."

Here is a couple of online pics of this Talo edition model. I can't get to mine right now.
    w9zYmwG.jpg
    DPnyGp2.jpg

Distances from 15', 21', & 30' free hand & my hands on a rest.
    cPbzd9O.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yes she is pretty. But remember the old adage, pretty is as pretty does. Hope she works for you.

No worries.
    My other 3 ran well, and even though this one has only had 2 range visits for a quick function check & dialing in the sights, with maybe only 100+ rounds, it looks good.
    I've had 2 issues, but can't even remember what they were (but written down in my "range ledger") since it was minor: probably the usual failure to fire. :dunno:

I might put my scope on the 22A-1 and see if it can shoot as well at 50' than 30' like my other two .22s with optics (only 1 now since I traded off the Ruger Mark 3 Volquartsen).
    I decided I didn't need 2 dedicated "sharpshooting" .22LR pistols since reducing $$ tied up in "the hobby" has been a priority for months now b/c of retirement.

I decided to keep the SW 41 since I have nearly twice the money in it than I did the Volquartsen.
    I'd sell the 41 also, but wouldn't be able to get the $1100 out of it that I have invested.
    My 41 is my "dream" gun in .22LR pistols, like my Dan Wesson revolver is to revolvers for me.
    All of these guns were acquired from those I know here in INGO. :ingo:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range time with my most accurate .22LR: S/W 41 with Bushnell red dot.
    My "dream" gun bought from a member here.
    The Ruger Mark 3 Volquartsen is gone, I didn't need two "most accurate" .22LR pistols, and they ran the same.

Tried tweaking the red dot a little with a few clicks up and a couple to the right on another target to get these.
    It's hard to tell how much is the gun & how much is just my eyes and hands, so I try not to "over-adjust."

21' (not 20' as labeled) on the bottom row.
    30' on the top row was next.
    45' in the middle was last.
    COgPMJX.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Picked up a Browning Camper today from a member & went to try it out on the range with a Ruger M3 & G44.
    I was mainly there to dial in the sights on the Browning.
    The adjustable rear sights worked like they were supposed to, which happens only about half the time.

The middle "X", rows 1-3 & the "+" on top of the "4" was the Browning Camper with a Tactical Solutions barrel at 21' & 30'.
    The middle "X", rows 4-5 was the Ruger Mark 3 at 21' & 30'.
    The middle "X", row 6 (next to last) is the Glock 44 at 21'.
    I think the Ruger has the edge on the Browning so far, but we'll be able to tell the next round when I use my usual "5 in 1" target.
    That, & I need to paint the front sight red so I can see it. :dunno:
    qf9R93F.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range time with a Ruger Mark 3, picked up in 1/2020
    All 21' on a rest on top & in the middle & free hand on the bottom.
    xDpjQ5D.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Another pic of the Ruger Mark 3 with the Dagger Defense red dot.
    All done on a rest.
    The red dot does seem to be providing tighter groups, as expected for these old eyes.

vwiYUbj.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Had some fun with the 8" barrel & 54oz on the Dan Wesson .22LR revolver that I switched out the green optic for a red one.
    I shot in DA & SA using only CCI Standard Velocity, solid round point.
    I6MX80v.jpg

Top Bottom