• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Had some fun with the 8" barrel & 54oz on the Dan Wesson .22LR revolver that I switched out the green optic for a red one.
    I shot in DA & SA using only CCI Standard Velocity, solid round point.
    I6MX80v.jpg

Well done.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Nice shooting with the big Dan Wesson! I recently picked up a 1996 Smith 617 4" revolver and it shows some promise of being a pretty good shooter. Used a Vortex Venom yesterday and actually ran out of elevation adjustment which never happened to be before on other red dot sight.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Nice shooting with the big Dan Wesson! I recently picked up a 1996 Smith 617 4" revolver and it shows some promise of being a pretty good shooter. Used a Vortex Venom yesterday and actually ran out of elevation adjustment which never happened to be before on other red dot sight.

I have a 4" 617 that I bought in 1994. It is very accurate, much better than I am. I have shot squirrels and birds with it over the years. It is a fun gun! You'll like it!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

I didn't know you could put a red dot on a 617, that would have to be another level of fun! :thumbsup:
    I red dot always improved anything I put one on!

I have a 4" 617 that I bought in 1994. It is very accurate, much better than I am. I have shot squirrels and birds with it over the years. It is a fun gun! You'll like it!

I know I would!
    I wasn't that impressed with the Ruger GP100 I bought new, or the Taurus 990 that shot as well (and sometimes better) at nearly half the price.
    I always thought that someday I'd have a round with the 617 but I gave all that up when I met Dan Wilson.
    :)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The optics ready drill and tapped framed started in the 1990's with the 617-1. Mine is a 617-1. First target after sight in at 25 yards fired single action standing.

View attachment 86570
    View attachment 86571

Love it when people post their range pics. :thumbsup:
    At 25 yards, I don't think I'd do that well, maybe close if I used a rest. :dunno:
    Having a red dot on a revolver would be lots of fun!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The optics ready drill and tapped framed started in the 1990's with the 617-1. Mine is a 617-1. First target after sight in at 25 yards fired single action standing.

View attachment 86570

Interesting. I have a -0 so mine wouldn't be a candidate I assume. I probably wouldn't add one anyway. Apparently they changed the cylinder release button with your -1 as mine is the older symmetrical button.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Interesting. I have a -0 so mine wouldn't be a candidate I assume. I probably wouldn't add one anyway. Apparently they changed the cylinder release button with your -1 as mine is the older symmetrical button.

Yeah sometime in the mid 1990s time frame they went to the newer cylinder release. The 617 no dash series were definitely not factory drilled and tapped. Up until about 6 years ago I could still see open sights well enough to shoot accurately. I did fire the "new" 617 with the open sights and had to use and aperture device on my glasses like some bullseye shooters use. Even then it was kind of a struggle. These days for any range handgun I usually add a red dot or 1X scope.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yeah sometime in the mid 1990s time frame they went to the newer cylinder release. The 617 no dash series were definitely not factory drilled and tapped. Up until about 6 years ago I could still see open sights well enough to shoot accurately. I did fire the "new" 617 with the open sights and had to use and aperture device on my glasses like some bullseye shooters use. Even then it was kind of a struggle. These days for any range handgun I usually add a red dot or 1X scope.

I'm with you!
    Even with the red dot, I barely see can see the bullseye well at 30', and especially at 45' & no way at all at 75'
    I must use the Force w/i me to see, but it isn't strong anymore. :laugh:

The only reason I don't have a red dot or scope on everything, is b/c there is no rail on the gun, or the rail on it won't take a red dot b/c I have b/c of the different spacing of the slots.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I picked up a Colt/Walther 1911-22LR about a month ago.
    I've had 3 or 4 of the 1911-22 clones, but the Colt eluded me.
    Only had to pay $225 from the original owner so I had to get it for fun.
    Won't be the first time I've bought something I didn't need just b/c the price was good.

I've put about 350 rounds through it.
    Been playing with the front & rear sights trying to get the windage correct b/c it originally shot left and a little low.

LC56iJq.jpg

piEQiKt.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    More time with the SW 22A-1 .22LR (Talo edtion), that I'm so proud of.
    It is my 4th SW 22A-1 & I'm glad to have it since I should have kept one of my others.
    I'd like to put a red dot on it, but my Defense Dagger that I got recently didn't fit in the "slots" so I put in on my Ruger Mark 3.

15', 21' & 30' all with my hands on a "sandbag" rest.
    I tweaked the rear sights a little more since the 15' & 21' rounds were a hair low.
    Ammo: Aguila Super Extra, Eley Prime, 40 grain, HV & solid point.
    kRki3S8.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Having fun with the red dots on my .22LR pistols.
    I don't know how I lived w/o them. :dunno:
    I plan to pick up a couple red dots from members.
    I have a SW 22A-1 that needs one.
    I also have a Browning Buckmark that I'm going to sell unless I get a red dot for it (rail $30).

Comparing:
    SW Victory Performance Center with the Vortex Vipor 6 MOA red dot that came with the Performance Center package.
    Ruger Mark 3 with a Dagger Defense red dot.
    S/W 41 with a Bushnell TRS-25.

The S/W Victory Performance Center pistol with the Viper ($249) didn't shoot any better than the Bushnell ($90) or the Dagger Defense ($50), but that could be the gun or just my eyes/hands.
    I could put it to the test by switching the red dots around, but I'm not that bored yet. :)
    I was stunned that the Victory Performance Center didn't shoot any better than the Ruger Mark 3.

S/W Victory
    O9HAX49.jpg

Ruger Mark 3
    5YSvz67.jpg

y82r75T.jpg

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Glad the RDS are working for you. My astigmatism wrecks it for me. Although, I can use a big dot on my pistols and get OK results. A 2 MOA dot on a rifle shooting 8" targets at 300 yards, forget it.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    It’s hard to beat rugers in my years of plinking. All the expensive add ons and fancy barrels have given me results I would expect either especially for the cost. It is fun to dress them up with grips and what not but that’s about where I stop anymore.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Having fun with the red dots on my .22LR pistols.
    I don't know how I lived w/o them.

Yep , I even used red dots back in the 1990s when my eyesight was good to shoot in the poorly lit Muncie indoor range when I used to shoot in their pistol league. Now it is almost mandatory for me to have red dot , especially for target shooting at 25 - 50 yards.

Was just out Tuesday afternoon shooting my recently acquired 1996 Smith 617 and tried a target at 25 yards double action.
    View attachment 87071

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Put about 800 rounds down range today in a 4 hours session (about 2500 rounds in the past week).
    I had five .22LRs to put through their paces today.
    This pic has to do with a Ruger Mark 4 Target I picked up from a member last week & vetting it against a Browning Buckmark Camper with a Tactical barrel I picked up a few weeks ago here from a member.

After trying to dial in the sights on both guns: flabbergasting!
    I would gladly pay extra for decent adjustable sights, but apparently your not going to get that on less expensive guns.
    The Buckmark won today's contest, but both guns are so totally different in their "feel" so it is a pleasure to shoot them.
    Don't know when one of them will be trimmed or even both of them, due to the Baretta 87 I bought today.
    That is another story. :laugh:
    At only 21', a
    pPWWAnk.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range time with two 1911-22 clones: GSG 1911-22 (upgraded) & a Colt/Walther 1911-22.
    1st is a GSG that I owned 13 months ago & bought it back since I was sorry I sold it.
    I put nearly 3 boxes of Armscor through it today with no issue except one FTEject.
    Next is the Colt/Walther with 50 rounds of Armscor with 0 issues.
    I was getting tired so I didn't put more through.
    I can't explain why I like these guns so much, they are very average in accuracy.
    I don't know how adjust the windage on the GSG (upgraded sights & don't see a screw anywhere).

67YTpaN.jpg

8NQrIvr.jpg

Colt/Walther 1911-22

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range time with both the GSG 1911-22 ZRT & the Colt/Walther 1911-22.
    I like the "feel" of the GSG better than the Colt/Walther, but the Colt is more accurate.
    That's irritating since I have twice the money in the GSG with it's upgrades by ZRT. :(
    I wish I had adjustable rear sights.
    With the Colt, you can adjust the windage by loosening a screw & pushing it over.
    It wants to shoot to the right & low. Maybe I can file down the front sight a little (or replace it with a shorter one), & try moving the windage again. :dunno:
    The GSG shoots high & left, so maybe I could get a higher front site but I can't adjust the windage at all, even though there are 2 openings on top of the rear sight, but no Allen screw heads underneath.

My shooting reflects trying to compensate for the lack POI matching the POA.
    RkMZzbL.jpg

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Range time with both the GSG 1911-22 ZRT & the Colt/Walther 1911-22.
    I like the "feel" of the GSG better than the Colt/Walther, but the Colt is more accurate.
    That's irritating since I have twice the money in the GSG with it's upgrades by ZRT. :(
    I wish I had adjustable rear sights.
    With the Colt, you can adjust the windage by loosening a screw & pushing it over.
    It wants to shoot to the right & low. Maybe I can file down the front sight a little (or replace it with a shorter one), & try moving the windage again. :dunno:
    The GSG shoots high & left, so maybe I could get a higher front site but I can't adjust the windage at all, even though there are 2 openings on top of the rear sight, but no Allen screw heads underneath.

My shooting reflects trying to compensate for the lack POI matching the POA.
    RkMZzbL.jpg

Question are you using a rest or standing and shooting?

Top Bottom