HWHEpoP.jpg

5owX8C9.jpg

gDlQVxq.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    For whatever reason you are missing out on some fine shooting.

I could not imagine being without a 22 handgun! I have them in in semi-auto , DA and SA revolver and a single shot TC. I shoot more 22 rimfire in handguns than all centerfire calibers combined. Especially now that centerfire ammo is not found anywhere. I reload but even bullets for reloading are not easy to get.

Keagan2828

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I could not imagine being without a 22 handgun! I have them in in semi-auto , DA and SA revolver and a single shot TC. I shoot more 22 rimfire in handguns than all centerfire calibers combined. Especially now that centerfire ammo is not found anywhere. I reload but even bullets for reloading are not easy to get.

I have an old colt 22. Revolver, just nothing modern. It’s not that I don’t want one, I just end up buying something else

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I have an old colt 22. Revolver, just nothing modern. It’s not that I don’t want one, I just end up buying something else

Gotcha! That was the same for me too some years ago. I went into a shop and walked out with a 357 or 45 thinking I'll get the 22 next time! Then in the last dozen years I made up for the 22 drought!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    For whatever reason I can’t bring myself to buy a .22 pistol

:faint: :dunno: Only 1 reason, but it's a secret and I'm not telling. :laugh:

For whatever reason you are missing out on some fine shooting.

Well said! :thumbsup:

I could not imagine being without a 22 handgun!
    I have them in in semi-auto , DA and SA revolver and a single shot TC. I shoot more 22 rimfire in handguns than all centerfire calibers combined.
    Especially now that centerfire ammo is not found anywhere.
    I reload but even bullets for reloading are not easy to get.

Same here: rarely do I find a .22 that I don't like.
    But, I did shoot a friend's small Ruger LCP 2 (.22LR) the other day at the range for 100 rounds & after 2 attempts now to enjoy the .22 version of the LCP: not going to happen.

It's fun having different calibers but it's easy to get spread too thin by chasing after all the neat guns.
    It would be easy to go that route with the 3rd generation S/W.
    I had two 5906s & a 4006 & enjoyed them.

When it comes to .22LR, I have had so much fun chasing after them.
    Just when I think I'm done buying another .22LR another comes up I never had or didn't even know existed.

A Sig 938-22: perfect for a small semi-auto, and it is accurate for me up to 21'.
    A Sig 226 Classic 22 (which I had to send to Sig for the windage adjustment to be fixed).

I didn't know of the existence of either of these guns, but I like them so much, they are on my "keeper" list.
    I wonder how many others are out there?
    I wish I hadn't sold my Sig 250 DAO that I had.
    I've had to buy back some guns that I'd sold b/c I missed the relationship. :laugh:

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/468111-taurus-tx22.html?468111=#post7910125 info and photos of leading later in this thread.

Seems to be a good pistol except it is hit or miss on whether you get a barrel that leads up quickly and badly or not.

Mine leaded up in 150 rounds. While they will provide replacement barrels, these are hit or miss as well. My replacement barrel's rifling only looks moderately better than the original. I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

My suggestion is to skip it if you want a suppressor host as the SV waxed lead bullets are more likely to create leading than the HV copper washed bullets (just my untested theory). As a plinker with copper washed bullets you might have better odds.

Tx22 is best polymer non target style 22 I’ve shot and it’s not even close. Glock 44 probably the worst. Sr22 and walther fall between for me.

Thanks for the info! I'd heard about the barrel issue in the past and thought they had it taken care of. Will check the barrel closely if I get one.I've had the chance to hold one a couple of times, and they fit my hand really well. Don't care for Glocks in general, they just don't fit my hand at all, and I've heard a LOT of horror stories on the 44. The SR22 and P22 grips feel way too small, wife has a P22 and in her hands it is very accurate and reliable, with me I'm lucky to hit the backstop. The S&W M&P isn't bad fitting, the Victory also felt good but way too heavy for my purposes. Mostly wanting it to keep pistol skills sharp without burning up too much of my 9mm stash, got plenty of 22s tho.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Picked up a Sig Sauer 226-22 Classic.
    Had to get new rear sights from Sig & finally got it to the range to dial it in.
    Not impressed so far.
    Not a target gun.
    Reminds me of the Glock 44.
    It will be fun to run them together, but I think the Glock will have the edge.

Also picked up a Taurus Tracker 970 revolver 6.5" barrel.
    I had a 4" barrel that was more accurate than my new Ruger GP100, & am delighted to have the 6.5" barrel since I'm really into good .22LR revolvers.

This pic was at 25' at an outdoor range with the 970 Tracker on the right hand side & the Sig 226-22 on the left.
    I shot two other targets for a total of 225 rounds between the two.
    Ammo: Aguila Super Extra, 40 grain, HV, SCN (solid copper nose)
    I kept tweaking the rear sights till I got them where I wanted the groups in the last target.

The Taurus 970 kept getting better, the Sig 226 was not consistent, but I could be the X factor there.
    jku6Gvi.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Also picked up a Taurus Tracker 970 revolver 6.5" barrel.
    I had a 4" barrel that was more accurate than my new Ruger GP100, & am delighted to have the 6.5" barrel since I'm really into good .22LR revolvers.

I came close to buying a Tracker some years ago but eventually wound up with an older Taurus 96 which was has a strong resemblance to the classic Smith 17. I have not shot it very much in the last 10 years or so as the open sights were getting very difficult to see. I finally equipped it with a Burris Fastfire 3 and took it out last Friday and today and it fired targets on par with my semi auto target 22s! Really impressed with the Taurus. Looks like your Tracker is a shooter too!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I came close to buying a Tracker some years ago but eventually wound up with an older Taurus 96 which was has a strong resemblance to the classic Smith 17. I have not shot it very much in the last 10 years or so as the open sights were getting very difficult to see. I finally equipped it with a Burris Fastfire 3 and took it out last Friday and today and it fired targets on par with my semi auto target 22s! Really impressed with the Taurus. Looks like your Tracker is a shooter too!

In addition to the Taurus Tracker I had with the 4" barrel, I had a smaller Taurus revolver (94, I think), but the grip was too small since I had to put my pinky finger underneath the grip & I sold it forthwith.
    I would like an even bigger grip than what comes with this 970 & the Hogue has worked well for me in the past.
    When shooting, I have to limit myself to around 21' in order to see & even at that distance I have to use binoculars to see where all of my rounds went.

It will be fun to take my non-optic revolvers & shoot them together.
    As long as the 970 comes in a reasonable 3rd to my favorite Dan Wesson 54 oz, 8" barrel & my 2nd favorite SW 17-4, I'll be pleased.
    Both were bought from members here (Aeroflyer & Snorko), which makes ownership a bonus as well. :ingo:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    It will be fun to take my non-optic revolvers & shoot them together.
    As long as the 970 comes in a reasonable 3rd to my favorite Dan Wesson 54 oz, 8" barrel & my 2nd favorite SW 17-4, I'll be pleased.
    Both were bought from members here (Aeroflyer & Snorko), which makes ownership a bonus as well. :ingo:

I kind of had a 3 way revolver shoot off , only mine were all red dots! Taurus 96 - Burris Fastfire 3 , Smith 617 - Vortex Venom and Ruger Single Six - Ultadot. The Taurus shot the best target . It really likes CCI Std. Vel.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I kind of had a 3 way revolver shoot off , only mine were all red dots!
    Taurus 96 - Burris Fastfire 3,
    Smith 617 - Vortex Venom and
    Ruger Single Six - Ultadot.
    The Taurus shot the best target . It really likes CCI Std. Vel.

I'm surprised the 96 beat the 617, interesting.
    I'm saving my CCI SV for a shoot-off if I need to sell something.

I was shooting rifles and in using CCI SV & Aguila Super Extra, the RPR shot better with the Aguila instead of the CCI SV, which surprised me.
    That's why I can't wait to use different brands of ammo through the rifles to find any other surprises.

I ordered the Hogue #73000 grips today for the Taurus Tracker 970, since I wasn't quite satisfied with the grip yesterday.
    $25 & surprisingly w/no shipping at "grips4guns.com"

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I'm surprised the 96 beat the 617, interesting.
    I'm saving my CCI SV for a shoot-off if I need to sell something.

I was shooting rifles and in using CCI SV & Aguila Super Extra, the RPR shot better with the Aguila instead of the CCI SV, which surprised me.
    That's why I can't wait to use different brands of ammo through the rifles to find any other surprises.

I ordered the Hogue #73000 grips today for the Taurus Tracker 970, since I wasn't quite satisfied with the grip yesterday.
    $25 & surprisingly w/no shipping at "grips4guns.com"

I think the 617 might be helped with the crown being cleaned up but it still shoots pretty good. But the Taurus 96 shot a better target both in score and group size both yesterday and Friday. I my have to try some of the Aguila in it as well , I have some older Eley prime as well as the Aguila prime Super Extra. That is a good price for Hogue grips with shipping included. Here is the 25 yard 12 shot targets from yesterday. The Friday targets from both were very similar.

Attachments

• a 1 a 96 vs 617.jpg
      a 1 a 96 vs 617.jpg
      54.1 KB · Views: 15

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think the 617 might be helped with the crown being cleaned up but it still shoots pretty good. But the Taurus 96 shot a better target both in score and group size both yesterday and Friday. I my have to try some of the Aguila in it as well , I have some older Eley prime as well as the Aguila prime Super Extra. That is a good price for Hogue grips with shipping included. Here is the 25 yard 12 shot targets from yesterday. The Friday targets from both were very similar.

I love my 617 and haven't shot a .22 that is as accurate as mine is. It's one of those firearms that will not be sold by me ever. It's and older model, -1 I believe.

Looking at the Taurus 96 though, I be it could do well and I imagine one could slick up the action pretty well. I did a Taurus 85CH years ago and the action was really nice when I was done and took the DA pull weight down 3 lbs without changing any springs.

But if the crown of that 617 is nicked, get it fixed. They are worth it!

Nice shooting!

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I love my 617 and haven't shot a .22 that is as accurate as mine is. It's one of those firearms that will not be sold by me ever. It's and older model, -1 I believe.

Mine is a 617-1 too , suppose to be a 1996 according to the seller. Mine is a 4" version. It is one that has been on the wish list for quite a few years.

Looking at the Taurus 96 though, I be it could do well and I imagine one could slick up the action pretty well. I did a Taurus 85CH years ago and the action was really nice when I was done and took the DA pull weight down 3 lbs without changing any springs.

My Taurus has an adjustment on the main spring which increases or reduces spring tension. I had to adjust it as I was getting light strikes. I never measured the pull in SA or DA. I know in SA the 617 has the edge.

But if the crown of that 617 is nicked, get it fixed. They are worth it!

Nice shooting!

Can't really see any nicks but the powder residue "pattern" at the muzzle is kind of irregular. I am sure cleaning up the crown is something I will do. Thanks for the shooting comment , the Vortex Venom and Burris Fastfire red dots are allowing me to still shoot like I did when I had 20/20 vision.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Mine is a 617-1 too , suppose to be a 1996 according to the seller. Mine is a 4" version. It is one that has been on the wish list for quite a few years.

Wow - 3lbs DA! That's incredible! My Taurus has an adjustment on the main spring which increases or reduces spring tension. I had to adjust it as I was getting light strikes.

Can't really see any nicks but the powder residue "pattern" at the muzzle is kind of irregular. I am sure cleaning up the crown is something I will do. Thanks for the shooting comment , the Vortex Venom and Burris Fastfire red dots are allowing me to still shoot like I did when I had 20/20 vision.

Just to clarify, I got the trigger weight down 3 lbs, not down to 3 lbs. It was still at 10 lbs or so.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

25 YARDS with a pistol: :wow:
    I would not even see the bullseye.
    Not sure I could do that at 25 feet w/o assistance of optics & a rest.

Top Bottom