• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I finally found an affordable replacement for my old 455 lux I sold when I moved back to Chicago -- 455 Trainer this time (and to be honest, I'd prefer a shorter barrel but I got a good price on a NIB Trainer.) Gunna actually mess around with the tangent sights this time rather than throwing on a peep right away. I really, really liked the peeps I had before so I'll probably end up with some again, but figure I should shoot it as it is a bit first. Guessing it'll show up mid next week.

Any good advice on initial cleaning procedure before first range trip?

Give the bore and chamber a quick cleaning with solvent to remove any preservative and gunk. Maybe take it out of the stock and give it a good look see. Nothing special needed.

Very shocking they haven't stepped up on the 10/22 triggers yet. My gunsmith charged me iirc $25 and it was exactly what I wanted. Not to light for hunting purposes. My buddy got an adjustable trigger for his. He had it around 2lb that thing went off just breathing on it so to speak. On a bench that's awesome hunting at night in the woods no thanks. He adjusted it back out after that one night out lol.

Yeah really. It wouldn't cost them much if any to do better. Guess they figure it works so why change. Then too Ruger wouldn't be able to sell the aftermarket BX25 trigger for 1/3 of the cost of a whole rifle.
    Think a 2 lb trigger is light? When I shot benchrest I had a 6 oz trigger. All you had to do was think about touching it and the bullet was gone! I like a trigger of about 3 lbs on most of my rifles, light enough for target work but still safe in the woods.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    A few groups from today. Wasn't really feeling it so didn't shoot much. 5 shot groups @75 yards as usual. Tikka T1x
    SK Standard+ 1/2" 17/32"
    Aguila SEHV 5/8" 3/4"
    SK Rifle Match 3/8" 3/8" 5/8"
    SK Pistol Match 1/2" 1/2" 1/4"

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The ol lady finally took her 10/22 to the range.........and the front sight fell out LMAO (she didn't think it funny).
    Did pretty well w RDS, was hammering clays on the 25 and 50 (rested).
    Tried offhand and said no way LOL

[FONT=&quot]
    iRjnugi.jpg
    [/FONT]

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I brought a spare 10 round mag, she swiped it.
    Also asked for a 25 rounder (just bought her one at RK a few mins ago).
    Shoots right, but is left handed. Plate/screws in her wrist.........she can't load mags left handed.
    Was comical and barely doable right handed.

Did zero my 455 w Blazer at 25. Five shots under a half inch at 4X (reg big game 2-7X).
    It wears a CZ synth stock now (will sell the wood one).

My AR was a POS, think the Anderson bbl is junk. Change bbl tomorrow.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Shoots right, but is left handed. Plate/screws in her wrist.........she can't load mags left handed.

Did zero my 455 w Blazer at 25. Five shots under a half inch at 4X (reg big game 2-7X).

Why is she sitting on the left hand side of the bench? Those benches were designed to strattle the seat with one foot in front and one foot in the back of the seat.
    Its a much more stable and comfortable way to shoot.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I shoot left side, so right elbow is supported. She didn't want the elbow touching anything, so............

She was picking off pcs of clays at 25 and shooting them at 50 with better than 50% hit rate, w a TRS25, and a bone stock 10/22..........that she never shot before.

Was not going to argue with that bit of success (she cussed her bifocals badly though).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    She did see the sub half inch from my CZ at 25 yards. And watched me shoot clays offhand at 50.
    She said that offhand is harder than it looks.

Told her I shoot almost all my deer offhand, and pop em at 50 on the move.
    Reminded her of the little 8 pt I shot at 150 w my dad's Superredhawk.

HS and college athlete, she thought I'm a slob............now she's starting to understand the micro athletics of being a shooter.

Ya can't tell em nuthin man, they gotta learn it on their own.......'splained shooting for yrs.
    Now she's "how in the hell do you do that?"

:)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    So................I'll proly be a nice guy and stone the 10/22 hammer for her.
    Offered to put a VX Freedom 1-4X on it...........nope, she wants the RDS.

For the $, those Bushnell TRS25's are hard to beat.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

I highly recommend one of these for 10/22 mags. It was worth every penny.

https://www.maglula.com/product/ruger-10-22-lula-loader

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Triggers.........A Volq hammer does good enough for me on a hunting 10/22.

Had a 600 that after spring swap was 28 oz. I thought that a bit heavy for varminting.

Shot a Stolle Panda a guy had, 1 oz trigger. That was a bit funky. Worked under microscopes so had light touch, but that was a bit weird.
    By the time you felt it, it would go off.

Anybody with a job where hands see impact/vibe........finger might be deaf on such a trigger.

My 760 is bone stock, proly 4.5#
    Its heavy and needs slicked, but I shoot it OK.

My 700 got a Gre Tan pin/shroud and that made the X mark pro too light, I added some weight back.
    Its proly 2# at most.
    Bashed it won't trip so is safe.

Can run a "regular" trigger just fine, but like things a bit better.
    My old #1 in 280 isn't horrible, and should be a 3 screw adjustable.

My Steyr prohunter has the adjustment screws filled, so those need cleaned out and adjusted.
    I shot 1" groups with it as is, but it seems a bit odd/off.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Those TRS25 dots are pretty damn good for what they cost. Had one on a Mossberg 835 that I used yote hunting. Don't think I shot anything smaller than 3" buck and it held zero and survived many a knock. I'm thinking I might throw it on a muzzleloader for deer season since my eyes are having a hard time with irons.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A few groups from today. Wasn't really feeling it so didn't shoot much. 5 shot groups @75 yards as usual. Tikka T1x
    SK Standard+ 1/2" 17/32"
    Aguila SEHV 5/8" 3/4"
    SK Rifle Match 3/8" 3/8" 5/8"
    SK Pistol Match 1/2" 1/2" 1/4"

:wow: Love to see those pics!
    I have read great things about the Tikka T1x.
    I bought bricks of ammo from a member here who swore by them.

I highly recommend one of these for 10/22 mags. It was worth every penny.

https://www.maglula.com/product/ruger-10-22-lula-loader

Even as "thrify" as I am, I bought one.
    Don't need it if only doing a few mags, but if you're putting 100s through at a tiime: priceless! :rockwoot:

Those TRS25 dots are pretty damn good for what they cost. Had one on a Mossberg 835 that I used yote hunting. Don't think I shot anything smaller than 3" buck and it held zero and survived many a knock. I'm thinking I might throw it on a muzzleloader for deer season since my eyes are having a hard time with irons.

How far does it work in sunshine?
    I ask b/c the first time I tried using a red dot at 30 yds shooting in bright sunshine, it was problematic for my eyes seeing the red dot.
    I could see the red dot beyond the target that wasn't in the sun, but was under a "canopy."

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...How far does it work in sunshine?
    I ask b/c the first time I tried using a red dot at 30 yds shooting in bright sunshine, it was problematic for my eyes seeing the red dot.
    I could see the red dot beyond the target that wasn't in the sun, but was under a "canopy."

Did you have it turned up to it's brightest setting?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    :wow: Love to see those pics!
    I have read great things about the Tikka T1x.
    I bought bricks of ammo from a member here who swore by them.

Even as "thrify" as I am, I bought one.
    Don't need it if only doing a few mags, but if you're putting 100s through at a tiime: priceless! :rockwoot:

How far does it work in sunshine?

I'll get some more pics up. Somewhere (maybe even up towards the top) I've got a few of the Tikka. Not feeling too bad today so may walk out back and punch some paper here in a bit.

I thought the dot in the TRS25 was quite bright, at times too bright but I mostly used it in very limited to no light.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Did you have it turned up to it's brightest setting?

It's been too long ago for me to remember, but I can't imagine not turning it up for a bigger dot.
    But, since I like a small dot for accuracy, perhaps I didn't play with it.

I was going out to MCFG to try out my 2 red dots, but I ended up just going to Point Blank for some handgun fun.
    Tomorrow I might go to MCFG & try to see how far my 2 red dots will work.
    I found a Holosun days ago online on sale ($130) but I never got around to ordering it since I had not tested out the ones I have yet.
    I want to get a red dot for the Henry Pump since I have scopes on the other 3 rifles.

Top Bottom