• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Over the last half century or so, little by little, the US has become a nation where certain actions that could be dangerous were either not done or at least criticized and the actors shamed. Maybe it was mean, maybe it was cruel, and maybe for some actions it shouldn't have been that way. We seem to now come to a point where no actions can be criticized. The talking heads get on TV or the radio and claim these actions aren't the best, but they are what they are and we constantly need to bail people out. The entire country is pretty much collapsing slowly. The more rural parts of Indiana have no jobs or jobs that pay very little. Meanwhile housing costs are still high, thanks to government subsidization. Too many young women having kids with no dads around, too much focus on hard partying, too much media pushing the perpetual spring break party lifestyle, basic primary school education, but no logic or common sense for many, etc..
    Shaming? Shaming addicts? Being addicted is not glorified and is not on anyone's bucket list that I know of. Shaming an addict isn't going to do anything but make the shamer feel better about themselves. Have you ever tried? It actually effectively does the reverse, pushing them deeper into their addiction...whether it was narcotics or alcohol.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Shaming? Shaming addicts? Being addicted is not glorified and is not on anyone's bucket list that I know of. Shaming an addict isn't going to do anything but make the shamer feel better about themselves. Have you ever tried? It actually effectively does the reverse, pushing them deeper into their addiction...whether it was narcotics or alcohol.

Not many people are born addicts and humans don't naturally get high or need to get high to live. There is no point in shaming what becomes a biological issue that can't be changed. I was more focusing on how we as a society could shame various parts of our culture that promote living the perpetual spring break lifestyle to our youth. Mass media through TV shows, movies, and music are pushing for an anything goes lifestyle. Yes, sex and partying sells, but if more people boycotted these companies, singers, and actors/actresses, maybe the message would change. People will protest, which is a form of shaming, abortion, abortion laws, Israel, certain speakers, etc., but yet I never hear anyone forming a protest at a radio station when they start playing a song which is full of lyrics about getting high and treating young women like crap. So now the message to many young people is that every weekend should be a huge party getting drunk or high and trying to screw women.

Maybe it is too late though. Things seem to be pretty bad and once a person is addicted there is very little we can do right now for them. There are a lot of biological issues that are hard to change once the addiction sets in. Besides, while we might not shame the actual addiction, we do kinda shame a person's addiction when we incarcerate them because their actions to support their addiction turn criminal.

If we don't shame people for bad choices (which lead to addiction, fatherless homes, etc.), then why do we complain when bad things happen as a result of those choices? We rarely shame poor young women for having kids out-of-wedlock anymore. Yea, we talk about it on the TV, the radio, and newspaper articles, but we basically have just thrown our hands up in the air. However, now we have issues with unsupervised kids causing trouble downtown, trouble at Castleton, etc.. It is hard for me to believe that the breakdown of the family unit doesn't play some factor in that. If people don't see others getting shamed for their poor choices in life, what incentive is there for them not to follow the same path?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Not many people are born addicts and humans don't naturally get high or need to get high to live. There is no point in shaming what becomes a biological issue that can't be changed. I was more focusing on how we as a society could shame various parts of our culture that promote living the perpetual spring break lifestyle to our youth. Mass media through TV shows, movies, and music are pushing for an anything goes lifestyle. Yes, sex and partying sells, but if more people boycotted these companies, singers, and actors/actresses, maybe the message would change. People will protest, which is a form of shaming, abortion, abortion laws, Israel, certain speakers, etc., but yet I never hear anyone forming a protest at a radio station when they start playing a song which is full of lyrics about getting high and treating young women like crap. So now the message to many young people is that every weekend should be a huge party getting drunk or high and trying to screw women.

Maybe it is too late though. Things seem to be pretty bad and once a person is addicted there is very little we can do right now for them. There are a lot of biological issues that are hard to change once the addiction sets in. Besides, while we might not shame the actual addiction, we do kinda shame a person's addiction when we incarcerate them because their actions to support their addiction turn criminal.

If we don't shame people for bad choices (which lead to addiction, fatherless homes, etc.), then why do we complain when bad things happen as a result of those choices? We rarely shame poor young women for having kids out-of-wedlock anymore. Yea, we talk about it on the TV, the radio, and newspaper articles, but we basically have just thrown our hands up in the air. However, now we have issues with unsupervised kids causing trouble downtown, trouble at Castleton, etc.. It is hard for me to believe that the breakdown of the family unit doesn't play some factor in that. If people don't see others getting shamed for their poor choices in life, what incentive is there for them not to follow the same path?
    Ok, I see two different and distinct issues, addiction and social responsibilities. Addicts become addicts because they are usually trying to numb a pain. You might be surprised how many addicts suffered immense trauma during their childhood. Un-addressed, those issues form the base that becomes addiction, this includes alcohol. As far as the social issues, who is "we"? What you are referring to is a parental responsibility. Effective parenting trumps media...every time. If "your" kid is pregnant, what should "I" do about it...or as you say, "Throw my hands up." What you are suggesting is, "It takes a village to raise a child." We know from these boards that is false, it takes effective parenting to raise a child. There is little the public or the government can do to replace effective parenting. Quite frankly, that is a problem that I have no answers for. If I could fix bad parenting I'd bring peace in the streets. I know the bad parenting cycle and how it perpetuates, just not how to break it.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    It is hard for me to believe that the breakdown of the family unit doesn't play some factor in that.

What do you mean by family unit?

For thousands of years, "family" meant three or four generations living in very close proximity. Since the Industrial Revolution, people have been moving away from extended families and trying to raise children in nuclear families that are relatively unsupported by grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.

It is my belief that much of the breakdown occurring in the nuclear family is happening because the nuclear family was never intended to stand on its own.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I never knew Scott county was so full of doper fiends. Is it full of trailer parks or something?

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Heroin is everywhere.Every town now has its users.This is the begaining.If I had a guess,I would say it is comng from/thru Mexico......

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I never knew Scott county was so full of doper fiends. Is it full of trailer parks or something?

Austin is mostly cracker box houses centered around a canning factory. The two main industries are doping and whoring. Oh, sorry, "recreational drug using" and "sex working". The local PD is tiny and ineffectual. They have one officer on at night (or did when I was there) and sometimes one 40 hour pre-basic reserve out. I made more as a dispatcher than I would have made my first year with Austin. State went in and cleaned up some of the meth business a few years back and Oxy and Opana have taken their place.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Is it really that much of a crisis? Why does this fall on the taxpayer to handle? This is probably the best reason against lifting prohibition, the fact that the state has to address the spillover from use.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Is it really that much of a crisis? Why does this fall on the taxpayer to handle? This is probably the best reason against lifting prohibition, the fact that the state has to address the spillover from use.

Prohibitionist!!!

I actually hope they can help get these people into rehab, not just pass out clean needles (seems kind of pointless, no pun intended)

Top Bottom