• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    How about making you sit in jail 14 days before you can post bail or call a lawyer,
    since you think treating everyone like criminals is ok. I believe there's a 2 week
    wait in California ...how's their crime rate?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I would wait 2 weeks if that helped keep guns out of non responsible peoples hands. I think it is a little too convenient for anyone without a felony to purchase a handgun and leave with it in 10 min. Lets say a known felon wants a handgun, and he knows his girlfriends mother (or whoever) has no felonies and has no idea of gun laws. Its just a little too easy to walk in and out with a pistol. Now If they had to do paperwork then go back in 5-10 days it might be too much of a hassle for people that dont care about firearms to want to mess with.

I can't understand this mentality. So you think that making it more of a burden for all of the law abiding will deter someone already engaging in a criminal act (straw purchase)?

With the ability to perform an instant check, there is no need for the mandatory wait.

You seem willing to give up your rights, and that's fine. Don't be willing to try and infringe upon mine.

seadoodr.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    martinsville
    I agree. Felons have to start sometime.
    I couldnt disagree more. Why should law abiding citizens have to wait to purchase a firearm just because criminals may use them to commit a crime? Make criminals pay a steep price for their misdeeds and dont make it anymore difficult for average Joes to by a gun.:twocents:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Do you also advocate waiting periods to buy vehicles? You can certainly kill a multitude of people with your car...

How about advocating a waiting period to purchase a new set of kitchen cutlery or a little 2.5" blade pocket knife? You can certainly kill a multitude of people with all manner of knives...

How about crowbars?

Baseball bats?

Hammers?

What do you think should be done to keep the above tools out of the hands of those bent on using them for evil?

How about instituting waiting periods before we're able to exercise our freedom of speech?

How about instituting waiting periods before we're able to exercise our freedom of religion?

How about instituting waiting periods before we're able to be secure in our persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures?

Etcetera ad. infinitum.

Put your flame suit on, buddy. You've done stepped in it.

-J-
    Great. Now you went and gave the .gov MORE ideas on how to limit our liberties. :(

Other than that, great post!:yesway:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Wait...wait...wait...

I get it.

Because a small % of the population drives while intoxicated, I think that we should ALL have breathalyzer / electronic ignition locks on our vehicles.

Either that or because a small % of the population drives through farmer's market crowds that we should ban cars.

That's the ticket.

To what ATM was referencing: "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

(Parenthetical aside: The above quote is often attributed to Benjamin Franklin...incorrectly. They aren't his words. Sublime Bloviations: Who said it? "He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither")

-J-

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I remember the wait.....:(

Two weeks ago, walked into a LGS at noon over my lunch break. Saw a semi-auto pistol I've been looking for. "I'd like THAT one!" Phone call made. Proceed. Exchanged funds for pistol. Back to work. Took all of 20 minutes inside the shop. Gotta love it! :patriot:

ol' poke

But you don't NEED to have the gun that quickly! We would all be safer if you could just be patient and curb your impulse buying!

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    The down side to the waiting period is the rare case of a non gun owner (non gun owners being rare at INGO that is) being in danger and wishing to get a gun to protect themselves or the family, however, can not due to the waiting period (fall back in the old days was a 10-22 or shotgun in the home).

Grant you a counter case can be made that they need training, but then you get into the slippery slope of how much training one needs, etc. I and most here, would prefer to keep the ownership and training/eduction separate as otherwise training requirements can be and have been used as to prevent ownership.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Are YOU kidding????? We used to WAIT, still people murdered.... The In. LTCH, USED to meet ALL the Fed. req., we walked in flashed our pink card, and filled out the form, and walked out ..... Now we fill out the form, and wait for a phone call, to see if "big brother" will approve us AFTER buying firearms, for 20-30 years .....

i had pink card in 85 when i turned 21.....pay cash out door with new handgun:D.....now get delayed.....had to get UPN now no delay:n00b::n00b:

mtb1981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    To be honest, I think the gun laws are actually exactly where they need to be. If everybody hates them, then they are probably right down the middle.

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    I really do wonder how they decide who will and when they will wait. I have bought several guns rather often for a couple of years now. Never get delayed until about a month ago. Got delayed for one day. And since then everyone has been approved rigth away again.

tlfuller27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Nappanee,IN
    If I have a Ltch I shouldn't have to wait been there. Besides how many felons gonna go to a show and buy a gun when they can get it on the street a lot cheaper. Or they just steal them. Come on but hey what do I know.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    If I have a Ltch I shouldn't have to wait been there. Besides how many felons gonna go to a show and buy a gun when they can get it on the street a lot cheaper. Or they just steal them. Come on but hey what do I know.
    Well, I made it to the last post before someone used their brain.

All you guys are piling on the guy making an ill-advised statement about some elaborate felonious straw purchase plan aren't thinking either. If someone that's already a felon is going to buy a gun to commit a crime, do you honestly think they'd even dream of going to a gun store? NO! They're gonna pick it up from D-Spot on the corner or steal it from someone.

GUN LAWS ONLY EFFECT THE LAW ABIDING!

tlfuller27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Nappanee,IN

All you guys are piling on the guy making an ill-advised statement about some elaborate felonious straw purchase plan aren't thinking either. If someone that's already a felon is going to buy a gun to commit a crime, do you honestly think they'd even dream of going to a gun store? NO! They're gonna pick it up from D-Spot on the corner or steal it from someone.

The last part of this post is so true
    GUN LAWS ONLY EFFECT THE LAW ABIDING CITIZENS!!!!

Luke76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I really do wonder how they decide who will and when they will wait. I have bought several guns rather often for a couple of years now. Never get delayed until about a month ago. Got delayed for one day. And since then everyone has been approved rigth away again.

This is interesting to me. Anything obviously different about that one purchase than others? Had you maybe bought quite a few guns close together or something?

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    you would be surprised how many attempt it.

again, you'd be surprised how stupid some people can be.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    This is interesting to me. Anything obviously different about that one purchase than others? Had you maybe bought quite a few guns close together or something?
    does he always got to a second step and the NICS operators were so busy they didn't have time to look thoroughly and say "Proceed"?
    Nothing interesting about it, stuff happens and they do get busy.

Luke76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    does he always got to a second step and the NICS operators were so busy they didn't have time to look thoroughly and say "Proceed"?
    Nothing interesting about it, stuff happens and they do get busy.

Since I'm not real sure how the NICS process works on the other side of the call and I'm also not real sure what you were saying in your first sentence. However, if you're saying that the operators are so busy they just default to allow the gun sale to go ahead when they aren't sure then there is definitely something interesting about that.

iufan2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    southeast side of indy
    You would be surprised how many people get delayed for no reason other than NICS is too busy to give an answer at the time. I had a guy just 2 days ago get a delay at one point in the day, come back in an hour later, and he got approved on a second attempt. Even though we run the application online, there are still times when it gets too backed up to answer everything efficiently.

As to people who have felonies and try to buy a gun, it's about a weekly occurrence. We have had a few people who will apply, lie, and then have the FBI pay them a visit. Some people will never learn that they won't get a proceed.

Top Bottom