• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Child, 3, dies after shot in head; boy may have shot self

Apparently a 3 year old gained access to a handgun and things went tragically wrong from there. I can't imagine the pain of losing a child, especially like that. Things like this and SIDS investigations are the main reason I told my supervisors I had no desire to transfer to the Homicide side of the office. I occasionally get roped in to assisting when robberies overlap, but almost all of my victims are adults so I never get first hand involvement in these. I hate to even read the information memos that come out on the child deaths. I'm glad we've got dedicated people who can get past their emotion and give child victims the professional investigation they deserve, but I equally know my own weaknesses and realize I cannot be one of them.

Just an incredibly sad situation, and a reminder that NONE of us are guaranteed a tomorrow. Value those around you.

I worked as a deputy corner back when I was at university. One of the "old hands" said that the hardest part of the job was kids who committed suicide and drowning victims.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    It appears that the 3 year old was able to access the pistol from off a kitchen table.
    I'm curious as to what kind of pistol it was. I'm not going to leave my weapons around to find out , but I don't think my 4 year old daughter would be physically able to disengage the safety or handle the trigger pull.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The kid deserves justice? He is already deceased. He cannot get justice any more.

Too many people want people prosecuted for every bad thing that happens in this world. Some times bad things happen to people. We don't need to put another person in jail every time something does.

It also leads to the mentality than NO ONE is worthy of trust. Sort of like the old Soviet Union.

EastIndyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I like safety. My gun is either on my person, holstered (with one in the pipe) and is immediately transferred to a quick access safe when I take it off. How ****ing hard is that? We drop insane coin on the best weapons we can afford and then don't pony up for safe storage.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This is the kind of "internet advice" that causes problems. People read the "begging" thread and think it's a good idea, yet don't know/understand the basic safety rules associated with firearms and accidents (negligence) happens.

I don't want to say: I told you so…..but I really think we ought to put those rules in every OP before we recommend being ready to let loose a round in milliseconds.

r-OKLAHOMA-OPEN-CARRY-large570.jpg

does-not-equal.gif

gun-on-table.jpg

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    My 3 year old is VERY interested in guns. I currently have a 12 gauge leaning against a wall to try to get him disinterested. The ammo is secured and away from it.

He has tried to pick the lock on my gunsafe a couple times. Nothing an ass smack couldn't solve.

I definitely know he is curious, and the only loaded firearm is the one on my side or in the pistol vault at night.

These stories make me sad though :(

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I don't come on the internet to "earn respect". I do care about gun safety and romanticizing certain gunfighting techniques WITHOUT supervised instruction (training) and practice.

I get it that every one of you INGO members are sharpshooters, masters-rated champions. BUT, just in case a casual reader is not, someone needs to mention safety and the downside of every technique. If I'm that guy, then so be it.

I've been involved in competitive shooting sports my whole life. The first and last thing we always talk about is safety. That doesn't seem to get a lot of play when we recommend people do "such and such".

Kids die every month because of unsafe gun storage and lack of supervision. A lot more die from this than because "he didn't have one in the chamber cocked and locked".

So, it's a matter of priority. Do what you will. But, if you injure someone from negligence, I hope they throw the book at you.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm curious as to what kind of pistol it was. I'm not going to leave my weapons around to find out , but I don't think my 4 year old daughter would be physically able to disengage the safety or handle the trigger pull.

The media is not smart enough to report such facts. Maybe one of LEOs on the list could find out.

BTW, I have known too many LEOs to just put the duty weapon and duty belt on the shelf in the front closet. Never have heard of any LEO having a problem with an accidental discharge by offspring.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I don't come on the internet to "earn respect". I do care about gun safety and romanticizing certain gunfighting techniques WITHOUT supervised instruction (training) and practice.

I get it that every one of you INGO members are sharpshooters, masters-rated champions. BUT, just in case a casual reader is not, someone needs to mention safety and the downside of every technique. If I'm that guy, then so be it.

I've been involved in competitive shooting sports my whole life. The first and last thing we always talk about is safety. That doesn't seem to get a lot of play when we recommend people do "such and such".

Kids die every month because of unsafe gun storage and lack of supervision. A lot more die from this than because "he didn't have one in the chamber cocked and locked".

So, it's a matter of priority. Do what you will. But, if you injure someone from negligence, I hope they throw the book at you.
    Have you EVER let your sidearm out of your sight for even 30 seconds?

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My 3 year old is VERY interested in guns. I currently have a 12 gauge leaning against a wall to try to get him disinterested. The ammo is secured and away from it.

He has tried to pick the lock on my gunsafe a couple times. Nothing an ass smack couldn't solve.

I definitely know he is curious, and the only loaded firearm is the one on my side or in the pistol vault at night.

These stories make me sad though :(

Known of situations where the kids, by age 15, have figured out the combination of the safe. Often then getting the weapons to show off or even sell. Knew of one situation where the kid stole from his grandfather for drug money.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

The media is not smart enough to report such facts. Maybe one of LEOs on the list could find out.

BTW, I have known too many LEOs to just put the duty weapon and duty belt on the shelf in the front closet. Never have heard of any LEO having a problem with an accidental discharge by offspring.

EastIndyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis

Why did you put earn respect in quotes as if that's what I said. I said you are disrespectful. Case in point your last post poking fun of the entirety of INGO members.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I've been involved in competitive shooting sports my whole life. The first and last thing we always talk about is safety...

There are a lot of us that shoot competition on here and a lot who go out of their way to promote safety and training.
    Don't be dragging the rest of us down the toilet with you on your silly idea that carrying an unloaded gun for self defense is a good idea for novices. And shame on you for using a dead child to promote your own agenda.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    There are a lot of us that shoot competition on here and a lot who go out of their way to promote safety.
    Don't be dragging the rest of us down the toilet with you on your silly idea that carrying an unloaded gun for self defense is a good idea for anyone.
    Repped.

Top Bottom