f77760f1eeab59d5eb02b01ebd0767fa.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...My weakness.........hungry children. Screw mom and dad. Pound sand. Tell me any of you could turn away a hungry child. And if so teach me how to do that.

Give away anything and you (and more importantly, your family's) days will soon be numbered. People that couldn't be bothered to prepare will use the "anything to feed my kids." Be it right or wrong, your generosity will flag you as a source for more.

You need to be prepared to feed and arm those parents to work for you to feed their kids. They can be guards on your outer perimeter, maybe run a shovel or bucket brigade for the septic and burials. Possibly traders on that outer perimeter, maybe scouts into the neighboring communities?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Give away anything and you (and more importantly, your family's) days will soon be numbered. People that couldn't be bothered to prepare will use the "anything to feed my kids." Be it right or wrong, your generosity will flag you as a source for more.

You need to be prepared to feed and arm those parents to work for you to feed their kids. They can be guards on your outer perimeter, maybe run a shovel or bucket brigade for the septic and burials. Possibly traders on that outer perimeter, maybe scouts into the neighboring communities?

Good points.
    We have enough heads to cover everything. My issue is the terrorists are friends with all the kids around here. That would be rough but you are correct.

I am still a sucker for little kids wanting treats. When the back yard is full of screaming kids having fun they know who to ask for a juicy or a sucker.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    Get away from civilization... food shortages, crime, and disease from corpses will be the biggest issues.

Hour 1
    Internet goes down
    Stock market closes
    Banks close, for safety
    Credit/debit cards are useless
    Cash is only means of commerce
    Death toll in the 1000's from transportation accidents

Day 1
    Public services like water, sewer, and gas service will begin to cease
    FAA grounds all civilian aircraft

Day 2
    Communications will break down after 48 hours as cell tower generators run dry and cellphones die
    Public safety will be overwhelmed as police and fire resort to manual dispatch and hydrants dry up
    Stores close due to lack of restock, inoperative payment and inventory systems
    Looting of luxuries begins
    Fires begin to burn
    Schools closed

Day 3
    Vital facility backup generators begin to run dry
    Company headquarters close, permanently
    FAA grounds all commercial air traffic
    Looting of daily items begins
    Martial law declared

Day 4
    Hospitals close as refrigerated medicines and/or sanitized supplies run out and bodies begin to rot in morgues
    Senior homes, prisons, and in-patient facilities run out of perishable food, release residents/inmates
    Transportation will be impossible as roads, air, and sea ports clog with vehicles unable to refuel
    Military bases over run with refugees
    Cities are burning out of control
    Primitive Diseases begin to spread
    Death toll crosses 100,000
    Body collection ceases

Day 5
    Crime rampant, neighbors turn on each other as trade-able daily essentials and food run out
    Cities out of drinkable water
    US accepts foreign aid

Day 10
    People begin dying from thirst
    Primitive diseases rampant
    Cholera deaths surpasses crime
    China invades (probably)

Day 15
    Death toll crosses 1 Mil.

Day 30
    Mad Max

Reading this and im thinking to myself....damn its going to crap real fast....then I look around and think of all my neighbors....totally can see this happening

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    I'm packing all my stuff up in the company truck and heading to Yeager's house with my family.

If the truck/van is here at home, plans are to pack up the truck and head out to our friend's farm. It's equiped with 3 generators (two 7000watt and one 2200watt) 60 gallons of fuel and it's about 42' long with lift on the back. With most of the supplies packed into totes and having a two hand cart, it wouldn't take long to load most of it. The X-ray unit would take about 5 minutes to rip out of the truck. Our deep freezer would go in it's place. Alt vehicle plan, throw all the supplies and food into both our SUV's, empty deep freeze straped down to the top of my suv, and my honda gen with fuel on the rack that attaches to the hitch.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Us rural folks have a large concern for all the city dwellers that have no real plan other than to "head for the woods."

It's amazing how many city folks think that Indiana has vast expanses of wilderness. That "wilderness" is often somebody's back yard.

Even if it's a big backyard, we have to be concerned for the "will do anything to feed my kids," crowd.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Us rural folks have a large concern for all the city dwellers that have no real plan other than to "head for the woods."

It's amazing how many city folks think that Indiana has vast expanses of wilderness. That "wilderness" is often somebody's back yard.

Even if it's a big backyard, we have to be concerned for the "will do anything to feed my kids," crowd.

Us City fellers with a plan have the very same concerns. Soooooo many people live hand to mouth from the drive through.
    We have places we can bug out too. Thing about bugging out is have a clear path to do so. Once out of your home/property into the world your chances of making a clean break are greatly diminished. Total exposure.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    What kind of capacity does that carry...???

600w of panels, into a 24V 215AH battery bank, with a 2000w inverter.

Enough to run a refrigerator, ceiling fans, lights, charge batteries, 15A power tools, etc.

I’ve got another 600w of panels to install sometime, which will help with low production (cloudy) days.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    600w of panels, into a 24V 215AH battery bank, with a 2000w inverter.

Enough to run a refrigerator, ceiling fans, lights, charge batteries, 15A power tools, etc.

I’ve got another 600w of panels to install sometime, which will help with low production (cloudy) days.

Thanks.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I get to tell my wife I told you so!

Our street was without power for a week and she really appreciated how our home life was relatively unaffected because of our (my) preps. She still rolls her eyes sometimes but is much more tolerant.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I’m not going anywhere. I know our place is the meet point for close friends. Genny runs an hour a day to refill water and run the fridge/freezer. Starts to stretch past 30 days and I start building homemade wind generators to supplement. Back yard becomes the garden. Line of site is almost a mile so you’re not sneaking up on us easily.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I get to tell my wife I told you so!

Our street was without power for a week and she really appreciated how our home life was relatively unaffected because of our (my) preps. She still rolls her eyes sometimes but is much more tolerant.

CKW (spouse) is totally on board and very helpful. Guess I am blessed.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So what I understand is to get out of the city to the country in a home, have a wood stove for heat or even cooking, a cistern, septic system, propane cook stoves with enough propane to cook with for at least a month, canned goods, dry foods, ammo, and firearms. Generator for power as needed and enough fuel to run it.

What kind of med kit? What do you have or need for such an event?

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I’m not going anywhere. I know our place is the meet point for close friends. Genny runs an hour a day to refill water and run the fridge/freezer. Starts to stretch past 30 days and I start building homemade wind generators to supplement. Back yard becomes the garden. Line of site is almost a mile so you’re not sneaking up on us easily.

Automatic run or manual? Ours runs/exercises 1/week for 20 mins.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

This is something that I keep in the back of my mind as well although I live far enough out that doesn't concern me much. Most people arriving in my neighborhood for the first time are expecting to see guys like this and it discourages visits.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    We were without power for almost 2 weeks after hurricane Matthew and it was only slightly uncomfortable. Since then we have added a PTO generator for the diesel tractor, 15kw of gas generator power, and fuel tanks to run them for several months during hurricane seasons.
    Property is well guarded by us and our Dobermans. For food and water we have two gardens, chickens, a hand pump on our second well, stocked ponds, deer and squirrels are rampant along with a swamp with duck, geese, and hundreds of turtles.

Top Bottom