• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Yes. Pretty sure that inverter connects to the cig adaptor. I’m gonna try it and see if it works. I did see somewhere that they used alligator clips on the terminals instead

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please be careful.

I don't know that any cigarette lighter has been wired for extended usage at 300W. A 300W inverter might also be a peak draw and might only be useful for an extended period at 1/3 to 1/2 that rating.

Watts law: P=VxI 300W from a 12V system is 25 amps. Curious about this topic, I found this link to a discussion elsewhere;

https://priuschat.com/threads/max-cigarette-lighter-inverter-question.111636/

I've seen some folks that do not understand power and wattage vs wiring load carrying capabilities hooking up some crazy stuff that doesn't work as intended and risked frying things in their car.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Please be careful.

I don't know that any cigarette lighter has been wired for extended usage at 300W. A 300W inverter might also be a peak draw and might not be useful for an extended period at 1/3 to 1/2 that rating.

Watts law: P=VxI 300W from a 12V system is 25 amps. Curious about this topic, I found this link to a discussion elsewhere;

https://priuschat.com/threads/max-cigarette-lighter-inverter-question.111636/

I've seen some folks that do not understand power and wattage vs wiring load carrying capabilities hooking up some crazy stuff that doesn't work as intended and risked frying things in their car.

Well stated.
    Looking for the freebee or getting off cheaply usually never ends well. Especially if the knowledge needed on the situation are not on tap.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Years ago my boss's generator broke down he pulled his truck 12 volt battery out of the truck and hooked up a 3000 watt inverter. We worked 3 hours running saws etc to finish the day framing a house in the middle of nowhere. He put the battery back in it started the truck we went home. He got his generator fixed that evening. But it worked and that was the only time I seen one in use.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    It is pretty cool stuff isn't it?

Most heavy duty power tools draw 8-12 amps (keeping it under 1500 watts). Most tool usage is intermittent at best. With light usage, I got a car battery to last me a week while camping without ever needing a recharge. I charged it at home and then just lugged it around since we were car-camping. It was heavy but it didn't take up a lot of space.

My understanding is vehicle batteries might only survive a couple of weeks to months if deep discharged and recharged daily. So you can get away with using auto batteries for a while, but the appropriate kind of battery might last 10-15 years of charging and discharging.

Cost vs budget, automated circuits, how pure of a sine wave you would like (some sensitive electronics are storied to not care for dirty AC power), Amp-hour ratings, the whole thing is a rabbit hole just as deep as any other hobby.

The good news is prices and capabilities are getting better every year.

If you decide to journey upon this path, I hope you will keep us posted as to your findings and experiences.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is pretty cool stuff isn't it?

Most heavy duty power tools draw 8-12 amps (keeping it under 1500 watts). Most tool usage is intermittent at best. With light usage, I got a car battery to last me a week while camping without ever needing a recharge. I charged it at home and then just lugged it around since we were car-camping. It was heavy but it didn't take up a lot of space.

My understanding is vehicle batteries might only survive a couple of weeks to months if deep discharged and recharged daily. So you can get away with using auto batteries for a while, but the appropriate kind of battery might last 10-15 years of charging and discharging.

Cost vs budget, automated circuits, how pure of a sine wave you would like (some sensitive electronics are storied to not care for dirty AC power), Amp-hour ratings, the whole thing is a rabbit hole just as deep as any other hobby.

The good news is prices and capabilities are getting better every year.

If you decide to journey upon this path, I hope you will keep us posted as to your findings and experiences.

Lead acid battery's do not fare well in this arena. Gell cells are much better. Deep Cycle marine rated gell cells are better yet.
    There is a series of battery's specific to this use. But like you said it is a deep hole to dive into. A water cooled credit card is useful here.

Top Bottom