• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So what I understand is to get out of the city to the country in a home, have a wood stove for heat or even cooking, a cistern, septic system, propane cook stoves with enough propane to cook with for at least a month, canned goods, dry foods, ammo, and firearms. Generator for power as needed and enough fuel to run it.

What kind of med kit? What do you have or need for such an event?

We have 4 med kits. 1 in each truck and 1 in the range bag. The house kit is all inclusive for as serious a wound as we are trained to deal with.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    So what I understand is to get out of the city to the country in a home, have a wood stove for heat or even cooking, a cistern, septic system, propane cook stoves with enough propane to cook with for at least a month, canned goods, dry foods, ammo, and firearms. Generator for power as needed and enough fuel to run it.

What kind of med kit? What do you have or need for such an event?

We have 3 BLS bags with AED's set up and two ALS bags. The wife was a Corpsman in the Navy and is currently a Paramedic for Indy. I worked as an EMT in Indy but now work on moble clinic with a Doctor and a SLP. We're both trained to used everything in both bags.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    This is one area I need to get the wife up to speed on.

I forgot about the good kit we have in the bug out gear.

I have hundreds of $$$ in my kits, plus what I've acquired for free. Most of mine are geared towards day to day needs, my bigger kits can handle a pretty serious trauma but would be depleted quickly. This reminds me I need to check and rotate inventory.

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    Do you guys it would be a good idea for me to swap my pellet stove in my home for the wood stove that’s in my pole barn?

The wood stove would be better for this specific situation but not day to day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Do you guys it would be a good idea for me to swap my pellet stove in my home for the wood stove that’s in my pole barn?

That sounds like a job. Weigh it out. Day to day for ever with the "Possibility" of an extended outage.
    How much work is involved to do this. Can it be done if the situation arises.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    How about a solar panel or two, to recharge 12 volt automobile batteries and a good power inverter?

No experience with inverters so I'll ask if they are worth getting for SHTF use?

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    How about a solar panel or two, to recharge 12 volt automobile batteries and a good power inverter?

No experience with inverters so I'll ask if they are worth getting for SHTF use?

I seriously looked into this a couple of years ago.

Inverters seemed to be the weak point. Looking at something in the 1500 watt range there seemed to be a lot of negative reviews on almost every one, short lived and premature failures. If one were serious about frequent or sustained usage at 1500 watts, say fridge, furnace, a couple of lights and carefully timed usage of a 1000 watt microwave it appeared to be prudent to go 2X and get a 3000 watt inverter. A good 3000 watt inverter isn't exactly cheap.

Deep cycle marine batteries are not cheap either, especially if you start looking closely at the amp-hour rating. My understanding is automobile batteries do not have a long service-life in the role you describe.

Battery chargers/tenders are inexpensive.

A couple of 400 watt solar panels and associated equipment to supply your battery charger, not inexpensive.

At this point in my "prep" I opted for a Honda 2200i. Compact and portable. Comparable output capabilities, excellent reputation, lower cost (than solar) even if it is one of the more expensive generators. Some models even have a 12VDC output for charging batteries. Cons, gasoline storage, noise, exhaust and maintenance.

Don't get me wrong; solar power, batteries, inverters, all awesome stuff. Cons, not portable, heavy, expensive, batteries have a finite number of cycles and life to them.

Sure, you could Harbor-Freight a 12VDC system for around $400...but I thought for SHTF (or just an ice storm) I wouldn't be comfortable with HF. Kinda like keeping a Jennings as a last-stand pistol.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I seriously looked into this a couple of years ago.

Inverters seemed to be the weak point. Looking at something in the 1500 watt range there seemed to be a lot of negative reviews on almost every one, short lived and premature failures. If one were serious about frequent or sustained usage at 1500 watts, say fridge, furnace, a couple of lights and carefully timed usage of a 1000 watt microwave it appeared to be prudent to go 2X and get a 3000 watt inverter. A good 3000 watt inverter isn't exactly cheap.

Deep cycle marine batteries are not cheap either, especially if you start looking closely at the amp-hour rating. My understanding is automobile batteries do not have a long service-life in the role you describe.

Battery chargers/tenders are inexpensive.

A couple of 400 watt solar panels and associated equipment to supply your battery charger, not inexpensive.

At this point in my "prep" I opted for a Honda 2200i. Compact and portable. Comparable output capabilities, excellent reputation, lower cost (than solar) even if it is one of the more expensive generators. Some models even have a 12VDC output for charging batteries. Cons, gasoline storage, noise, exhaust and maintenance.

Don't get me wrong; solar power, batteries, inverters, all awesome stuff. Cons, not portable, heavy, expensive, batteries have a finite number of cycles and life to them.

Sure, you could Harbor-Freight a 12VDC system for around $400...but I thought for SHTF (or just an ice storm) I wouldn't be comfortable with HF. Kinda like keeping a Jennings as a last-stand pistol.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We have managed to get more than ample genny's to run the place if need be. It took some time. Stepping up along the way Etc.
    In this keeping enough fuel on hand to make it through anything past a 24hr situation is also a job to get started and maintain.
    Rationing run times and also having a solid battery/inverter back up for lighting is a serious undertaking if you do it properly.

Lots to consider.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA

I LOVED our Bio stove, especially when Corn was 85 cents a bushel. Ethanol was the end of cheap corn. Switched to wood pellets but ended up switching to an Efficient wood stove. Live in the woods so fuel is Not a problem. The Bio stove Required electricity so it was a double whammy in a survival situation. We use non
    electric LP stoves as a back up. :yesway:

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Something that bugged me about the pellet type stoves was the constant of grinding when the auger would turn every few seconds.
    Was like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    I figured I could connect a 300w inverter to my ahem Prius . I would just run my wood pellet stove with it. I’m trying to figure out how to keep my water running with the inverter. Worst case scenario, I can grab water from the pond or lake and filter it.

I do wonder how long 10 gallons of gas in the Prius will keep the pellet stove running

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I figured I could connect a 300w inverter to my ahem Prius . I would just run my wood pellet stove with it. I’m trying to figure out how to keep my water running with the inverter. Worst case scenario, I can grab water from the pond or lake and filter it.

I do wonder how long 10 gallons of gas in the Prius will keep the pellet stove running

Using what, the cigarette lighter port...???

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I got burnt on the corn stove trend years back also. Strange how you don't see them advertised since we started the ethanol fuel debacle. :rolleyes:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My power just came back on. It was off four hours.

My cable Internet is still down. Running a hotspot on my phone to type this.

We have had a rough go with REMC for the last few years. We'll lose power for inordinately long stretches of time, while houses all around us a mile away only have a flicker. I told them that when the SOB's tried to sell me REMC fiber. No thanks.

Last edited:

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    Using what, the cigarette lighter port...???

Yes. Pretty sure that inverter connects to the cig adaptor. I’m gonna try it and see if it works. I did see somewhere that they used alligator clips on the terminals instead

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Something that occurred to me during last evening's power outage is that I need more and better solar powered battery motion lights. I have a handful of smaller walkway sort of solar charged lights that come back to life every winter, so far. Still they are only in areas where the sun can charge them and the leaves block a lot of that in the summer.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes. Pretty sure that inverter connects to the cig adaptor. I’m gonna try it and see if it works. I did see somewhere that they used alligator clips on the terminals instead

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just curious because there are some seriously high voltages available in a Prius.

Top Bottom