• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Because they are the biggest penny pincers known to man. Marines get all the dregs of whatever the other branches are not using and the army looks at whatever the cheapest avenue they can get away with is.

Marines get all the dregs........ Sounds like an internet answer or a pogs response.

WelchyV90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2020
    Indiana
    Man, some one is defensive about marines having to work with awful equipment. If the ordnance corps could force the marines to field the 1903 as their service rifle they would.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Man, some one is defensive about marines having to work with awful equipment. If the ordnance corps could force the marines to field the 1903 as their service rifle they would.

Some agree with you and most don't,.

One thing for sure, if the need were to arise that Marines were issued 03A3's it would just increase the kill zone a few hundred more than using a M4.

Marines, were even the tuba player in the band is a rifleman.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    To my knowledge, no one has used a 6.5 anything for a battle rifle. OP specified 308. There are a few REAL battle rifles in 7.62x51. Look at those and maybe pick one. One should look up the definition of battle rifle. AR10 doesn't fit the definition.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Just finished up a DPMS rebuild. AeroPrecision bbl. Magpul stock, AP forend. I'm happy with it. MBT Flat faced trigger. Omega suppressor. Leupold scope.
    [video]https://i.imgur.com/JfATc7C.gifv[/video]

Big *****cat.

Really more of an overwatch rifle than a battle rifle.
    I do still have a stubby bbl, gas tube and block, and some overmolded handguards if you wanna build one on the cheap.

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    To my knowledge, no one has used a 6.5 anything for a battle rifle. OP specified 308. There are a few REAL battle rifles in 7.62x51. Look at those and maybe pick one. One should look up the definition of battle rifle. AR10 doesn't fit the definition.

OP asked 308 or another ar15. A proper 6.5 Grendel will outperform any of the aforementioned battle rifles while suppressed, in a small form ar package.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    OP asked 308 or another ar15. A proper 6.5 Grendel will outperform any of the aforementioned battle rifles while suppressed, in a small form ar package.

Maybe true. I responded to more the battle rifle side considering he stated in thread title " 308 battle rifle or another 5.56 ".

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

Sure when you are comparing a match 123 grainer to a ball 147 grainer.
    Hows it shake out when the 308 is a 155 grain Palma...

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Some agree with you and most don't,.

One thing for sure, if the need were to arise that Marines were issued 03A3's it would just increase the kill zone a few hundred more than using a M4.

Marines, were even the tuba player in the band is a rifleman.

Not just the Marines. In the Army, the Division Band is combat arms, tasked with TOC security in wartime. Most band members also have an Infantry MOS.

As to the OP, I really like my .308, the parts are out there to build one, and ammo can be had. I am thinking of starting a new build next week when my BCG and stock come in. I can't say anything about the 6.5's since I have never built, let alone even get behind one. Another good platform IMO is the 6.8 spc, but ammo is almost non-existent unless you roll your own.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Curious if you've thought about 224 valkyrie, not close to a AR10 at all. I built one, no chance to shoot it yet.

It is an OK round. It's not winning any precision matches, and it's not suitable for large game, heard of issues on bigger hogs. Mine consistently shot ~1.2 Moa with factory ammo.

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    I think you should go for AR-10 in 308. They will out shoot any other battle rifle out there if you put a good barrel on it and you can put one together for less $$$$ than any other.
    You can also build a 243, 260, or 7-08 extra upper to play with when you get bored hitting the target every time with the 308.
    How does the AR-10 not fit the definition of a battle rifle ?

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Pretty torn on this one. Leaning toward another 5.56 just due to current ammo situation. I went to sgammo the other day and the site is down due to know ammo

Top Bottom