• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STGguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2019
    Charlotte
    Why not diversify, own a wonderful piece of history that- aside from the upper receiver that are semi auto (the Imbel Semi Auto ones forged ones are made by Brazils Military contractors and very good quality as are the DS/ LMT original forged ones (they have a "DSXXXXX prefix vs the current Cast ones "DSAXXXX" or the new DSA forged ones initial reports their really good, etc. ) in either a Metric FAL or the Commonwealth (Canada, India, UK, Aussie, etc) ones?

They have a very rich and interesting history- 90 countries adopted it when we went with the much political M14 adoption by Macnamara back in the day- they all have their own unique countries adaptions- Israel- wooden and metal handguards, charging handle is a bolt assist for jammed feed or a round, Canadian- Cool rear dial site, stripper clip cut top cover, pretty wood, NZ ones, British ones that were Semi auto only- or British AND Argentine that was a conflict where it was FAL vs Fal (actually UK calls them L1A1's or SLR- self loading rifle) etc.

If you avoid the new US produced ones from DS Arms which I would highly recommend for many reasons over getting either a built up Kit and upper- cant go wrong with an Imbel on an Imbel upper from a reliable source, Argy on an Argy or a DS/ LMT, L1A1 on one of the new DS forged receivers, Aussie - mine is built on an Entreprise GOOD ABNi proofed upper or the Buena Park ones are top notch and the Gold standard until DS just came out with their own Forged ones, IZZY either lite bbl or a Heavy bbl that served as a LMG until they got belt fed ones, Springfield Armory- youll pay more and they are just Imbels brandlabeled by Springfield but your only other choice for a "Factory Rifle" since FN has priced themselves out of the game for most, My fav are the Austrian STG 58's which most in the Fal community consider the top tier of quality. My first back in 1999 was an STG excellent all matching kit- bolt, carrier, lower and barrel built on an Imbel, my fav shooter now is an FN produced (FN made Austrias approx. first 20,000 ones as Austria/ Steyr got tooled up- mines is a 78XX Serial no- all matching built on a DS/ LMT Type 1 receiver, etc. If I do my part, shoot its fav handload- 175 SMK's with either BLC2 or AA2520 they are amazing. Its scoped now to do load development but I will slide off the DSA scope rail top cover and put the orig one back on after load dev is done- wanted scoped to remove one variable from my load development - I have a group that 4/5 are in a .8" cluster and the one flyer opens it up to 1 5/8 at 100 yds. That is one of the best groups but an STG built on a solid forged receiver - they never were in conflict- carried a lot, shot very little- have CHF non chrome lined bbls as they NEVER shot corrosive ammo out of them and just generally the Steyr and earlier FN's of course are the top tier of the Food chain.
    A "shooter" with non matching bolt, carrier, lower and bbl or say just bolt and carrier match built on an Imbel upper or DS / LMT forged will run you $1350 at the low end to $1450. I picked up my all fn. ALL matching sn- b,c, lower and FN proofed bbl built on a DS/ LMT forged good upper for $1500.

Falfiles is down for awhile and about to re open after being hacked but you can learn a lot and theres guys like myself that enjoy helping newer to FAL guys get into their first one. I can t spend any more of my $$ now so it was fun helping a few new guys get into there first FAL- usually STG's and they've done better than I did $$ wise.
    The way the market is now, buying a demilled kit than a decent receiver- $600-$850 depending on what you get, PLUS shipping and the build- they don't screw together like an AR and while I build my own now, I'd use a good company like Mark/ Gunplumber at ARS- will run you $400 with locking shoulder to headspace as well as the build, headspace, function check $$.

They have a great history- each unique to its country, is 7.62, prob not as accurate as a good AR10, trigger will never be as good, etc. but they are the last of the truly craftsman made, not stamped (German G3's, Cetmes's from Spain- G3 that Spain developed , AK's, etc. all came after to reduce mfg cost), true battle rifle, built military quality- orig design for forged uppers was 80K rounds, half that for cast due to full auto fire and rifle grenade launching - big recoil, etc.

There are plenty of good guys- many too of course like anywhere- but the vetrans are all glad to help new guys out if they ask.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by a moderator:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why not diversify, own a wonderful piece of history that- aside from the upper receiver that are semi auto (the Imbel Semi Auto ones forged ones are made by Brazils Military contractors and very good quality as are the DS/ LMT original forged ones (they have a "DSXXXXX prefix vs the current Cast ones "DSAXXXX" or the new DSA forged ones initial reports their really good, etc. ) in either a Metric FAL or the Commonwealth (Canada, India, UK, Aussie, etc) ones?

They have a very rich and interesting history- 90 countries adopted it when we went with the much political M14 adoption by Macnamara back in the day- they all have their own unique countries adaptions- Israel- wooden and metal handguards, charging handle is a bolt assist for jammed feed or a round, Canadian- Cool rear dial site, stripper clip cut top cover, pretty wood, NZ ones, British ones that were Semi auto only- or British AND Argentine that was a conflict where it was FAL vs Fal (actually UK calls them L1A1's or SLR- self loading rifle) etc.

If you avoid the new US produced ones from DS Arms which I would highly recommend for many reasons over getting either a built up Kit and upper- cant go wrong with an Imbel on an Imbel upper from a reliable source, Argy on an Argy or a DS/ LMT, L1A1 on one of the new DS forged receivers, Aussie - mine is built on an Entreprise GOOD ABNi proofed upper or the Buena Park ones are top notch and the Gold standard until DS just came out with their own Forged ones, IZZY either lite bbl or a Heavy bbl that served as a LMG until they got belt fed ones, Springfield Armory- youll pay more and they are just Imbels brandlabeled by Springfield but your only other choice for a "Factory Rifle" since FN has priced themselves out of the game for most, My fav are the Austrian STG 58's which most in the Fal community consider the top tier of quality. My first back in 1999 was an STG excellent all matching kit- bolt, carrier, lower and barrel built on an Imbel, my fav shooter now is an FN produced (FN made Austrias approx. first 20,000 ones as Austria/ Steyr got tooled up- mines is a 78XX Serial no- all matching built on a DS/ LMT Type 1 receiver, etc. If I do my part, shoot its fav handload- 175 SMK's with either BLC2 or AA2520 they are amazing. Its scoped now to do load development but I will slide off the DSA scope rail top cover and put the orig one back on after load dev is done- wanted scoped to remove one variable from my load development - I have a group that 4/5 are in a .8" cluster and the one flyer opens it up to 1 5/8 at 100 yds. That is one of the best groups but an STG built on a solid forged receiver - they never were in conflict- carried a lot, shot very little- have CHF non chrome lined bbls as they NEVER shot corrosive ammo out of them and just generally the Steyr and earlier FN's of course are the top tier of the Food chain.
    A "shooter" with non matching bolt, carrier, lower and bbl or say just bolt and carrier match built on an Imbel upper or DS / LMT forged will run you $1350 at the low end to $1450. I picked up my all fn. ALL matching sn- b,c, lower and FN proofed bbl built on a DS/ LMT forged good upper for $1500.

Falfiles is down for awhile and about to re open after being hacked but you can learn a lot and theres guys like myself that enjoy helping newer to FAL guys get into their first one. I can t spend any more of my $$ now so it was fun helping a few new guys get into there first FAL- usually STG's and they've done better than I did $$ wise.
    The way the market is now, buying a demilled kit than a decent receiver- $600-$850 depending on what you get, PLUS shipping and the build- they don't screw together like an AR and while I build my own now, I'd use a good company like Mark/ Gunplumber at ARS- will run you $400 with locking shoulder to headspace as well as the build, headspace, function check $$.

They have a great history- each unique to its country, is 7.62, prob not as accurate as a good AR10, trigger will never be as good, etc. but they are the last of the truly craftsman made, not stamped (German G3's, Cetmes's from Spain- G3 that Spain developed , AK's, etc. all came after to reduce mfg cost), true battle rifle, built military quality- orig design for forged uppers was 80K rounds, half that for cast due to full auto fire and rifle grenade launching - big recoil, etc.

There are plenty of good guys- many dicks too of course like anywhere- but the vetrans are all glad to help new guys out if they ask.

Just my $0.02

Great 1st post but man use more paragraphs please. My eyes went crossed.
    Stand down on calling peak pls male organs please.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I know the current DSA FAL's aren't quite what the old military ones were, but I was under the impression that they weren't half bad either. Care to expand on that? I don't have a dog in the fight, I just always liked the rifles and want to know more. I don't know any other outfit out there making new FAL's.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Dsa does appear to have upped their game recently. Some of the older ones had some problems, bolt over base issues, warped receivers, bolts binding on rails due to unfinished machine work and a few others. Their own manufactured magazine would fit the magwell on their receivers ot the Imbels.
    Yep, they are the only game in town for new factory built rifles. New ones do appear to be better built as per some of the reviews. I have had a couple over the years. I run the Imbel recievers built with a good used kit. I highly recommend a Fal.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I've never owned one, but I especially like the ones with the scope rail on the receiver. I'd love to have a scoped precision shooting FAL in 6.5 creedmoor. If they made that, it may push me over the edge.

Well, the Fal is a fine battle rifle, a precision rifle it's not. 2MOA is about one could expect to get out of one, more like 3-4 is about average. Some guys will say they can get 1MOA but, I've never seen them do it. After all it's a battle rifle.

Top Bottom