• hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Interesting comments :

I am looking to buy an AR10/308 .. probably the POF P308 EDGE 16.5"

I am getting the 308 so as not to fund a new to me caliber.

Plus, it'll be a terrific high capacity shooter to go along side of my TIKKA T3x TAC A1 precision bolt rifle.

What are your thoughts.??

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Interesting comments :

I am looking to buy an AR10/308 .. probably the POF P308 EDGE 16.5"

I am getting the 308 so as not to fund a new to me caliber.

Plus, it'll be a terrific high capacity shooter to go along side of my TIKKA T3x TAC A1 precision bolt rifle.

What are your thoughts.??

I had pretty much given up on the AR platform. I bought one around "Obama panic Part II" and never warmed up to it, so I sold it to a buddy. The one I had was a Rock River lower with a Colt upper, but to me it just felt like a toy gun, since I was used to wood and steel milsurp rifles. A few years later I started getting the itch again but decided if I was going to get one, I was going to build it myself and it would be a .308. Bought a kit from PSA and loved it. I've since switched out the upper, but it's one of my favorite rifles. Of course building it myself got me hooked on that aspect of it, and I wound up building 6 more (in 5.56). :):

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Had this convo with a young friend if mine yrs ago. Mission drives gear and there’s no such thing as a free lunch. At the time the care and feeding of a 7.62x51 platform was significantly more than that of a 5.56 to say nothing of the extra weight.

If the 7.62 is what’s needed for the use, then fine. It is what it is.

If the 5.56 meets the need, then it does so at less cost and weight.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Workhorse you say? The M14 and all of its variants have been in service with the Army and Marine Corps since July of 1959.... Longest serving service rifle in US history.
    Thousands of standard M14's served in just Afghanistan.

It's also one of the shortest serving weapons because it was in official service as a primary battle rifle less than a decade before being displaced by the AR.

I personally despise M14s, but I'm willing to admit a secret charm someone might find that I'm missing. For me, I'll skip the weight, recoil, and general clunkiness. Yeah it costs more but an SR25 is not going to break or let you down.

I personally see value in having a semi auto rifle chambered in every major military caliber with high global production values. I recommend owning an AK just because 7.62x39. I'd recommend having a .308 rifle just because it's a NATO standard. Everyone should own a 9mm even if they prefer another caliber. You simply have to be able to shoot 9mm for the same reason every military vehicle has to be able to run on jet fuel.

That said ammo availability is THE ONLY compelling reason for .308. It is outperformed in every way by 7-08 and in almost all cases by .260 and 6.5crd also.

Someday, someone will realize that a 7-08 gas gun shooting 162 AMAX/ELD is a heck of combination with more range and less recoil than M118LR. Silly Americans and our obsession with .30 caliber. We're stuck with it today as we've been since pre-WW1.

Then again, all your local 7-08 ammo is going to be a lightweight deer load that really handicaps the capability. Handloading is a must to optimize it.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    It's also one of the shortest serving weapons because it was in official service as a primary battle rifle less than a decade before being displaced by the AR.

I personally despise M14s, but I'm willing to admit a secret charm someone might find that I'm missing. For me, I'll skip the weight, recoil, and general clunkiness. Yeah it costs more but an SR25 is not going to break or let you down.

I personally see value in having a semi auto rifle chambered in every major military caliber with high global production values. I recommend owning an AK just because 7.62x39. I'd recommend having a .308 rifle just because it's a NATO standard. Everyone should own a 9mm even if they prefer another caliber. You simply have to be able to shoot 9mm for the same reason every military vehicle has to be able to run on jet fuel.

That said ammo availability is THE ONLY compelling reason for .308. It is outperformed in every way by 7-08 and in almost all cases by .260 and 6.5crd also.

Someday, someone will realize that a 7-08 gas gun shooting 162 AMAX/ELD is a heck of combination with more range and less recoil than M118LR. Silly Americans and our obsession with .30 caliber. We're stuck with it today as we've been since pre-WW1.

Then again, all your local 7-08 ammo is going to be a lightweight deer load that really handicaps the capability. Handloading is a must to optimize it.

Not true. Simple Fact...The M14 service rifle has been in service and limited service since 1964. Its still in service.
    And it wasn't the Ar that replaced it as a standard service rifle, It was the M16

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Not true. Simple Fact...The M14 service rifle has been in service and limited service since 1964. Its still in service.
    And it wasn't the Ar that replaced it as a standard service rifle, It was the M16

I’ll assume that your perceived need for pedantry is conceding my point.

sempifi99

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    So part of me really wants to get a 308 ar-10. I have no real reason but would like to make it the workhorse rifle. Thinking a 1x6 scope. I guess the problem is right now is a crapy time to buy a gun and ammo which I have none of in this caliber. On the flip side I could buy another AR and do the same thing.

Currently have a DD SBR in 556 and a SW in 556 that is set up with a big scope for long distance. Looking to fill the gap. Already have a 308 suppressor too but not really a bonus as I can still use it on a 556. I guess it's the ammo that scares me right now more then anything. I have 556 in plenty

I was leaning toward the Saint Victor in 308 or the S&W open to other brands as well but would like to stay in the $1,300 give or take a few hundred. Main goal would be to have a rifle that runs well suppressed as 99% will be shooting that way.

Deversify in what type of ammo you can shoot, in a shortage like now it is good to have options.

SEH0521

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jun 18, 2020
    Jackson County
    I have had a 5.56 for several years. I purchased an old MkII .308 several years ago and have enjoyed shooting it. I weighed out my options over the years speaking with LGS owners, "old timers", etc.....
    The best choice for me and my situation was a Loaded M1A; and I am absolutely tickled to death with it.
    It all boils down to personal preference and a some strategy regarding the current and assumed future situations.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've had a couple of DPMS 308B's, a PSA Gen 2 308, and a M1A scout that were all semi auto 308's over the years. Of all those I would recommend the PSA Gen 2 the absolute least. I got the very best accuracy out the first DPMS 308B. I got the best reliability and performance overall out of the M1A scout. Of all those rifles I miss the M1A scout the most. It's a well balanced, soft shooting 308 and for most people it'd do anything you'd ever need done with one.

Top Bottom