• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SKRSR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Some on INGO know of my brain flatulation in a round for hunting Indiana's only big game (except maybe the upcoming HOGS lol) but maybe a few don't but I was asked to share with my Hoosier family what I concocted and hope there is at least one or two that find it a good read.

I did mention it a bit in a former thread where the TOTAL list of legal rounds has an ever growing number.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...egal_cartridges_wildcats_and_otherwise-5.html

Always a Remington nutcase I wanted to hunt my home state of 60 years come Nov 2012 with the rifle of my choice for a long long time. A Remington 700. (nothing wrong with others but when you have shot Remington for 50 years plus.........Why fix what isn't broke? Old farts are like that, lol)

The main goal too was a round that would NOT require a rebarreling, at least not for the first rifle, not wanting to put funds into something made for an "untried" round, not even yet developed, so I took a gander at what Remington EVER made in a 35 caliber rifle. Dang.........there wasn't much!

Two. The 35 Whelen and....OH YEAH......the almost forgotton 350 Rem Mag made in a short action! :rockwoot:

Calculating what I guesstimated Id end up with.......I thought the "350 Rem mag short" would be more than adequate for whitetail, hopefully matching the 358 Win in ballistics and that became my goal.

A few bumps along the way but..........she is done and shooting and I was asked by a fellow Hoosier to update my findings on this round to share.

I might of got a little lucky on the five rounds tested but......more rounds in this and other powders will be ran in months ahead. This rifle isnt going anywhere and in fact I have a second to send when funds allow.

Tested today, 11/1/2012

350JR round, fired and neck sized, donut removed
    47.8 Grains of IMR 8208 XBR (lightly compressed)
    Federal 215M primer
    Nosler 225 grain Ballistic Tip
    Crony F-1 (tested with 22 standard velocity)

ZERO pressure signs on round or on bolt lift.

*late addition*......This is with a 20.5 inch barrel.

Photo142.jpg

Photo143.jpg

350JR2572.jpg

Preliminary "leaner" groups at 100 yards with 7x scope 1.50 inches. I may or may not do better if I put on a high X scope and had a decent rest....but......I think "Im done" for load seach for 2012s deer season.

GodBless
    Steve

Last edited:

SKRSR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    I almost forgot!!!

I almost forgot "OL BETSY" that I have named "J. R." like on Dallas, not "Junior" ......my son would be honked off if I named it the same as his nickname. At 6foot 2 and 270.....JUNIOR is not one "ol Dad" attempts to PO!! "J.R." has also, a precious meaning for him and I. That is the initials of his wonderful mother whom the Lord called home May 24th. FWIW there is a lot of "heart felt" work in this round for him and I.

God Bless
    Steve

IMG_0516.jpg

350JR.jpg

Photo093.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

Photo118.jpg

Last edited:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    This is a really cool idea. Has any other IN-legal rifle cartridge had this kind of performance? 200 yards with no scope adjustment/ranging is pretty sweet. 50 grains of powder is .308 level capacity (albeit with a heavier/not as sleek bullet).

SKRSR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    This is a really cool idea. Has any other IN-legal rifle cartridge had this kind of performance? 200 yards with no scope adjustment/ranging is pretty sweet. 50 grains of powder is .308 level capacity (albeit with a heavier/not as sleek bullet).

Actually, there is at least one with higher speeds and capacity. The 358 Grant using a WSM brass.
    The 358 WSSM is, IMHO, a ballistic twin to my round.

An EXCELLENT round, my reasons for beating my own path are above and with this one showing FULL capabilities for elk or bigger? I saw no point. Another PLUS to the 350JR , at least to me? ANY belted mag brass from the 375HH to 7mm Rem mag can be used to form it. A turning of the neck IS mandatory but NO neck resizing up from smaller rounds.

Simply run the brass of the rounds above through my shortened trim die, cut, file, trim and turn to neck wall thickness desired.

ANOTHER thing I had in mind was, of course, CHEAPer conversions. Other than the rifle cost and Redding dies, the total Smith bill is 150 dollars and shipping.

Mentioning the 50 grain levels. With H322, Benchmark, TAC or Xterminator and a few of the AA powders that all are denser powders, 50 grains OR MORE is fully possible. Pressures will dictate if a lighter bullet will be mandatory or not.

Time will tell!

GodBless
    Steve

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Steve,

Thanks for sharing the full details on the 350 J.R. What a cool 'cat for Indiana deer hunting! :)

Did you have the barrel set back and then use a custom finish reamer? Did you stay with the same neck/shoulder dimensions? It appears so from the pictures. Who did the final gunsmithing and die work for you? If any tooling is needed for this, is there someone besides you a guy would need to talk to?

Have you considered trying lighter weight bullets, like the 180gr TTSX or the 200gr Accubond? I don't think you'd get better range from them, but maybe a little more powder space and less recoil? Just curious, as one of my goals is to get away from the heavy recoil of slug guns and 150gr ML loads. :D I can't wait to see what kind of groups you get from this creation.

I am very sorry for your loss and will say a prayer that your family is comforted this holiday season. You are the second friend of mine who commemorated a loss with a special firearm...that really says something to a gun nut like me.

Jason

SKRSR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    It's been fun.

Yes. I did stay with the same neck and shoulder as the 350 RM for simplicity sake.

Main goal other than something effective with the mentioned 358 Win ballistics as a goal, was SIMPLE and cost efficient.

Set back and rechambered with a reamer ordered to spec from PT&G with the specs the same as the 350 Rem Mag....just .375" shorter. This creates a slightly larger diameter shoulder on the 350JR since part way down the tapered case of the Mag and gives me a bit longer shoulder.

Done over, a slightly steeper shoulder might have been nice and easily acquired but I've no complaints.

If going for what I would call a "PERFECT" round, I would have shortened and opened the neck on 338 RCM. Not to take away from the larger diameter Winchester rounds, the RCM is between the diameters of the 350 mag and the Winchesters, but without a rebated rim.

Issue I had there was the limited brass and that dies would have to be custom and I just didnt feel the gain of 3-5 grains of powder was needed enough to go that direction and justify the cost.

Smith work was done by HG Firearms in Michigan. Website by the same name and the smith John Gilbert. His email is available on the website but I think the phone number has been changed. Not complaining but like most smiths, he dont answer the phone anyway :): .

I don't need to be contacted for similar work for any reason. As a wildcat, there is no limitations on who has one made. John has the reamer.

A hunter himself with several 35 caliber rifles, he seems very knowledgable and once the dang reamer came, work was completed very timely. One done NOW wouldn't take long at all, barring any complications with a particular rifle.

We sent two rifles, both Remington, once went slick as goose grease and the second had to have a bit of work done on the feed "ramp" to get rounds to feed reliably but it was a small task, he said.

This one is throated for the LONG Nosler bullets. I CAN get close to the rifling with Sierra 225 and Speer 220 grain....but it's a stretch. The additional 700 I have to send when I can, will be throated a bit shorter for lighter, aka "normal" bullets.

I dont have enough info YET on lighter bullets but I do have 180 grain Speer here that shot acceptably and some 200 grain Hornady spire points coming. With powders like H322 or Benchmark......I'm betting they will be "screamers". Oh yes, I have an errant box of Remington 150 grain core-lokt too, so yes, I've considered about all the bullet weights and YES, the 225s at this velocity do have a bit of "punch", calculated at about 27 lbs or recoil. Not horrible, but not "light" either.

Time will tell which of many bullet weights and styles will shoot best but of three shot, all fall under 1.5 inches or right at that. I'm not one that feels 1/2MOA groups are "mandatory" for deer. Neat? yes, NEEDED.......no.

Just info on my round and sharing such. Not, in any way, saying this is "better" than any other. I'm just showing those of the shooting sports especially other IN deer hunters the path I chose.

A quick word on the initial powder / primer combo chosen. I'm positive others feel there is a better choice..........and there probably will be in time but Quickload showed me acceptable velocities with IMR8208 with the estimated capacity, BUT.......I noticed that about full cases had a "96.9 %" burn. I FEEL the magnum match primers kicked that percentage up to full burn and how the velocity surpassed the velocities QL gave.

:twocents:

God Bless
    Steve

SKRSR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Quick note on expectations.

TAC, Xterminator, H322 and Benchmark (the last two "extreme" Hodgdon powders and will be my choice next), SHOULD kick this up a notch or two UNLESS I'm reaching max pressures but no pressure signs are shown.

I AM a bit curious as to what about 49 grains of even the IMR8208 behind the shorter 200 grain Hornady's will show. Might have a bit of "freebore" in the throat set for the Noslers but...one never knows!! Ive seen such shoot bugholes!

A TIGHT chamber does help there IMHO.
    God Bless

Last edited:

SKRSR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    This isn't really any of my business, but did your smith buy the reamer, or did you have to buy it?

John bought this reamer. He had some insight of possibly chambering more and........wanted one himself. :yesway:

GodBless
    Steve

SKRSR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Future testing.

When I'm able to I'll pick up some faster burning, dense powder to try but I am going to run some "curiousity" testing next week, weather permitting.

Working all three nights this weekend so while I might load some I wont be shooting any. It will be next weekend before I can hit Little Hawk in Warsaw for some other powder.

I am very curious, myself, just what effect the magnum match primers ARE having so I'm going to shoot a few bullet types with IMR8208 with both the same Fed 215M and WLR primers, with the exact same load.

If I recall correctly the WLR are pretty hot to begin with so many wont be much difference? Can't ever have too much info and still learning with this wildcat, considering all bases easily obtainable to try.

Suggestions ARE always of interest. Again, one cannot have too much info and several here have as much if not more experience with such than I.

I have not only my Nosler 225s and Sierra 225s but also some 180 grain Speer flat nose, 150 grain Rem, and some 200 grain Hornady Spire point (not the SSP one) coming along with a few tossed in 250 grain PSP for chits and giggles.

JM, I did run some 180 grain speer with some slower IMR4064 that produced 2400 fps for forming brass. After reading your shortened 35 Rem thread, I think you would like that load. Shot pretty decent without any attempts to place the bullet anywhere inparticular to the lands simply because I dont think I CAN with the current throat and this short bullet but I should try, I suppose. Recoil was fairly pleasant as long as you didnt have your body immobile like in prone position or something. I'd guesstimate the felt recoil to be in the 20 gauge skeet load range.

Fairly positive the mentioned faster powders will be closer to optimum for the 180-200 grain bullets but it will be interesting just to see what I get with the current powder and either primer. I may, however be surprised with the IMR8208 and this weight of bullet too. Something in the 2800 fps dept I'd hope. I'll be surprised if not but it will be a big indicator that faster powder will be optimal, IMO.

In time, I will want to play with loads strictly for accuracy but with my work schedule that will not be possible before our firearm season.

One thing I DO have to do yet is shoot the decided on load downrange a bit to see how it does accuracy wise. While I expect decent results, one cannot be sure until actually doing so a few times. Ive a local private range that is 300 yards I have access to most days. A last minute change may be necessary to find something a bit more accurate. Ive time yet.

Another thing I need to do is shoot some out of my one man chair blind. I have some home made "shooting sticks" that are a bit unfamiliar to me yet and I hope to shoot a couple days from the blind using them to see if they are going to be what I require or if they will be more of a PIA. :D

GodBless
    Steve

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Gotta be up north somewhere, if he's going to the Warsaw shooting range? :dunno:

I think it's close enough to season that I wouldn't be doing a lot more load development; just pick a good hunting bullet and dial it in 3" high at 100. You want to leave SOME fun for next spring, dontchya? :)

I know Remington is not making the 700 in 350 RM any more, but how hard is it to find them for sale, used? One of the knocks on the 350, way back when, was that bullets had to be seated pretty deep into the case, sometimes. I might have taken advantage of the fact that the case was being shortened to move the shoulder forward and shorten the neck a bit, but as you said, that results in a custom set of dies, as well. The way you did it is a lot more practical.

In fact, this is one of a handful of reasonably simple and effective wildcats that deserve to be on the "short list" of cartridges folks should consider if they want more range from their Indiana deer rifle, while still playing within the rules. :patriot:

SKRSR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Marshall County.

Im in the southern part of Marshall county not far off HW 31. PM me if you want exact details. Im a bit "shy" of putting exact specs of where my home in online. Paranoia and all that lol.

As for 3 inches high.......too much for this ol bird. I know a large majority of the hunters use that zero but the JBM trajectory read out is where Ill set it or very close. Ive never liked more than 1.5 inches high on any centerfire. Seems I get more close shots than long ones and I seem to shoot just a tad high anyway on fast shots for some silly reason.

About 1.5 inches high and for 99 percent of my shots that are under 150-180 it will be center the crosshairs........stop shaking.......and squeeeeeeeeeeeze the trigger. :ar15:

Did find a local that I can swap for some H335. Dense stuff and close to the same burn rate as IMR8208. I should be able to squeeze another grain in there to test out. Probably go up .3 at a time though.

Current load velocity is a Lord's plenty but..Ill be shooting to see what shoots best soon anyway. Never know, I might dumb into "the" load just having fun loading and shooting. :cool:

The 700 Rem in 350 as well as the Model Seven are around. One I got a DEAL on, the other I paid out the nose for due to the high grain stock.

I spent about 3 months finding that "deal" and Ive let a few slip by me since I already had two.

Dont forget the model 673 too! That's what we picked up for my buddy's 350JR conversion. Has the J-lock but not hard nor expensive to get rid of if it is bothersome to anyone. Be advised that the "rib" on the 673 makes it near impossible to mount a 50mm objective scope for those who feel that one is required.

The model 7 CDL comes with a 20 inch barrel (to start with) and the 673 and the 700 Classic come with a 22 inch. FOR THOSE THAT THINK IT MATTERS MUCH...know that the Remington factory twist is 1-16. Not an issue IMHO for weights used for anything other than over 250 grain, at least this is how it has been reported to me. Ive some 250s coming. Ill find out but each rifle is it's own beast, as always, with its own quirks.

One would HATE to convert one, but back in the 60s Remington made about 150 700 BDLs with a 24 inch barrel. Being an old time Rem lover.......oh baby!!! Ive seen a couple but they were pretty "used".

I DO LIKE the 1985 Classics that both mine are. This version has the "B" serial number action and the old style Rem trigger that I prefer. There is more around than one would think. I do know that much.

A thought too is if one has or can find a barrel, the Remington short action SAUM rifles would be great contenders for that option and there are a few around too.

I'm gonna make you "ill" though. This is my "number two" going north soon. I dang near sold it last week but came to my senses when some nicked and dimed me on it, and kept it. It's no longer for sale.

Late as it is, John says he could have it done and back in a week.....JUST in time but I need to wait. Im not deprived with ONE though, most dont understand WHY Id want two LOL but ....I have two sons. Enough said. Heck I may build another with a SS barrel in '13!

I keep looking at this an imagining a SS barrel sitting on it! With that DARK stock?.........:rockwoot:

God Bless
    12 hour night shifts all weekend. Replies will be spotty at best.

Close.jpg

Last edited:

SKRSR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Gotta be up north somewhere, if he's going to the Warsaw shooting range? :dunno:

I think it's close enough to season that I wouldn't be doing a lot more load development; just pick a good hunting bullet and dial it in 3" high at 100. You want to leave SOME fun for next spring, dontchya? :)

I know Remington is not making the 700 in 350 RM any more, but how hard is it to find them for sale, used? One of the knocks on the 350, way back when, was that bullets had to be seated pretty deep into the case, sometimes. I might have taken advantage of the fact that the case was being shortened to move the shoulder forward and shorten the neck a bit, but as you said, that results in a custom set of dies, as well. The way you did it is a lot more practical.

In fact, this is one of a handful of reasonably simple and effective wildcats that deserve to be on the "short list" of cartridges folks should consider if they want more range from their Indiana deer rifle, while still playing within the rules. :patriot:

Quick note on this.

I spent some time on high bc bullets and the discontinued Nosler ballistic tip has a rep of "blowing up" on high velocity 35 bore rounds. Nosler rates them at "1600-3000" fps for optimum expansion. Note the "1600" is 200 fps LESS than either the Accubond or Partition, that are both great themselves. IF one was to take longer shots, IMO the bullet will be well into its expansion velocities and I've found several online that wish Nosler still made it for the "2500 fps" uses.......like the 350JR. I found a couple boxes and that is the bullet shown in the blurry round held in my hand. It is identical to the Accubond 225, except it is NOT bonded. BC of .421.

Other than that? I feel the Sierra 225 is going to be awesome too. I think the 200 grain versions from both Nosler and Barnes would also be AS great and I'm sure ill fired some someday. Like the 350 Win, I think too it would be a great cast bullet round for those so inclined.

You are quite accurate on the complaints of some on the bullet being down inside the body of the case on the 350 mag. With the Nosler 225, it's not a surprise that the COAL with the bullet seated to the neck bottom on the 350JR IS the same COAL as the 350 Rem mag. Food for thought perhaps?.

God Bless
    steve

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Quick note on this.

I spent some time on high bc bullets and the discontinued Nosler ballistic tip has a rep of "blowing up" on high velocity 35 bore rounds. Nosler rates them at "1600-3000" fps for optimum expansion. Note the "1600" is 200 fps LESS than either the Accubond or Partition, that are both great themselves. IF one was to take longer shots, IMO the bullet will be well into its expansion velocities and I've found several online that wish Nosler still made it for the "2500 fps" uses.......like the 350JR. I found a couple boxes and that is the bullet shown in the blurry round held in my hand. It is identical to the Accubond 225, except it is NOT bonded. BC of .421.

Other than that? I feel the Sierra 225 is going to be awesome too. I think the 200 grain versions from both Nosler and Barnes would also be AS great and I'm sure ill fired some someday. Like the 350 Win, I think too it would be a great cast bullet round for those so inclined.

You are quite accurate on the complaints of some on the bullet being down inside the body of the case on the 350 mag. With the Nosler 225, it's not a surprise that the COAL with the bullet seated to the neck bottom on the 350JR IS the same COAL as the 350 Rem mag. Food for thought perhaps?.

God Bless
    steve

And to think, some folks complain about there not being enough bullet choices in 35 caliber! ;)

The older BT's, along with Partition and Accubond bullets, are all good choices. The 200gr Pointed Core-lokt would do well, as would the 180gr TTSX, which would be high on my 'must-try' list. The Speer 180gr and 220gr flat-points would both do the job. You could even dial up a reduced charge of H4895 under the 180gr Hornady SSP, for recoil your sissy BIL could handle. :D

For me, the 200gr AB would be the bullet I worked with the most, with the 200gr PSP CL being second. The 180gr TTSX would be a close third and everything else would be only if I was struggling to find something accurate. Those three bullets would be well-suited to the velocity generated, plenty accurate, deliver consistent and effective terminal performance, and all of that w/o any undo recoil.

My biggest gripe about the Indiana regs is that they force us to use a caliber that is entirely too large for what you really "need" to kill a li'l ol' deer. Go to any state where normal rifles are allowed and there are very few guys shooting deer with a caliber larger than 30...there's just no cause for it. Anything from 24 to 30 is plenty of bullet for deer, especially if the correct bullet is chosen.

But, that's a topic for another thread. This is about the 350 J.R. and complying with the current regs. Until the rules of the game change, again, this is an excellent choice for hunting deer in Indiana with a RIFLE! :)

SKRSR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Myself, I'm pretty tickled with the regs.

Lots of people other than you, JM, are bemoaning Indiana's regs and would like to see a standard 308 or such in the legal round list.

Personally, I feel the Indiana regs opened the door and was the founding father of several rounds that probably would not have came to light without such. IMHO, never a bad thing to expand the interest of hunters old and new and "put more life" into an already lifelong love of shooting and hunting.

A "wildcat" was always something in the back of my mind as something I would like to someday come up with and I have looked, over the years, at options for such but frankly, just about everything has been done before if you look hard.

It was Indiana's rifle regs that triggered the birth of many rounds, mine included and I know for a fact, I never ever would have dreamed such up NOR expected the results to date, EVER. Not once, previously did I even consider a 35 cal round for literally anything but IMHO, that was a huge mistake but THEN, I simply had no immediate need unless heading west.

LIke everyone else, bigger bore wildcats never held much interest to me, since I've lived here all my life. Hunting with a TRUE rifle here in Indiana was never even a prayer for many decades, yet going every fall, I still enjoyed the hunt and have been relatively successful.

As for many others here, the "rifle option" DID open up some brainstorms of WHERE I could hunt with one properly made and used. Most of us hunt natural funnels or deer "highways" and various areas between bedding and feeding grounds yet it was mandatory to be right in the works with the constant concerns of being discovered OR driving the deer out of the area with too much pressure.

It takes some effort, but even for here in Hoosier Land, a weapon of constant 250 yard effectiveness DOES open up things for us, but again..........ONE HAS TO back up and regroup his thinking a bit!

I'm betting every single hunter reading this post can come up with at LEAST one area, be it a picked cornfield or lightly brushed fencerow or creek that he has habitually watched deer go through or loiter around it......but he never hunted it. "Just no place to sit".........."Not enough cover" etc, etc.

Now......take a birdseye view of that same area and consider where you COULD sit, that meets your own criteria be it in a tree on in a bit of cover.........when your effective range is nearly doubled. (with practice and some good common sense).

Case in point is my own situation. Hunting an area, mostly on my own for over 3 decades, pushing 4 actually, the family's grandchildren's hubbys wanted to hunt and presto, chango...........I no longer have it to myself and it is NOT very big. Very small actually.

Thankful that I still can hunt it at all I do alter my places to sit according to the family hunter's locations and it hurts my success ration.......a LOT but the area IS a good one and has produced some whoppers, even if I am not particularly a "horn hunter". I still LIKE shooting big bucks even if I dont target such.

What there IS there is an approx 300 yard by 200 yard section of picked crops that FOR DECADES I have watched deer feed out in and many, many times watched "el mongo" run does from one end to the other, often pausing to look around, and even a FEW times..........BED DOWN out in the middle.

Do they "hunt" that? Oh no..........they are deep in the cover as near the bedding grounds as possible, just like I and many others do and have done.

Consider what my "options" are NOW. :rockwoot: Exactly the same thinking has lead up to permission to hunt a similar area and situation with an UNHUNTED picked corn field that has a reg highway of deer traffic between the three woods that are on the outskirts of it, and yes, they ARE hunted pretty regularly. No one had an issue with my getting permission to hunt "only" the field, though.

Oh yes, when they are not hunting on my errant weekdays off, I'll still frequent the thicker cover but I don't really feel "handicapped" hunting the, hidden from the road, picked crop field between woods.

As for the caliber IN has chosen to date for "minimum", Ive always been a "big bore" fan. My black powder rifle is 54 cal and I use heavy old lead bullets that have served me well these many decades.

While the mentioned 24-30 caliber "normal" rounds obviously WORK, Id still stick with the 350JR. Being a Hoosier Hunter for all these decades I sometimes look at those 35 caliber bullets and have to slap myself because..........."the look kinda dinky" compared to what I've used for so long. :):

50 years from now, Indiana and it's off the wall regs will be down in history for "helping create" some wildcats that will be down in the ever growing list of such for future hunters.

Therefore? "Thank You, INDR!"

:twocents:

God Bless
    Steve

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Lots of great points, Steve. :)

For sure, there are at least a couple dozen 'cats in existence thank to Indiana's odd (and evolving) cartridge limitations. As you point out, most of those would never have happened, were it not for the caliber AND the unusual case length limitation(s) imposed by IDNR. Most of the rounds that have been created fall somewhere in-between 35 Remington and 358 Winchester performance. Both of those have proven to be excellent for big game hunting at short to moderate ranges. Even in places where 24-30 caliber rifles are legal, those two cartridges are used by a fair number of folks. This is especially true for hunters who intentionally avoid the open spaces you mentioned and stick to areas with more cover.

Three years ago, I was set up on a fenceline between woodlots, with a soybean field just north of me. Within an hour of daylight, a respectable 7-pt buck came out of the woods to the east, limping badly on one leg. He angled across the beans, never getting any closer than about 250 yards. If I had seen this deer while hunting in northern Michigan with my 270 Winchester, I would have shot that deer to ensure it didn't wind up as dinner for a pack of coyotes. Even with my 358GNR, I could do nothing but watch it hobble off, hoping someone else would put their tag on him before the season was done.

Speaking of the difference between hunting with Indiana-legal rifles and "regular" rifles, my family and I have several stands set up in Michigan where there are shot opportunities at ranges of at least 200 yards, from each. At two of these blinds, shots of ~400 yards or more are possible, though not what they were really set up to cover. Without the use of rifles like the 243 Winchester and 270 Win, the blinds would be moved to other locations, with shorter shot opportunities. That would put us closer to the deer, increasing the chance of being detected. The blinds we have set up right now can be accessed, coming and going, with little to no chance of being "busted".

As much as I love wildcat cartridges and medium-range rounds, the fact remains that if Indiana had decided to allow standard cartridges no larger than 2.1" in length, very little of this silliness would have ever ensued. Whether that would have been good or bad is purely subjective...in a way, I'm glad they decided to create such ridiculous rules. :D

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Copy snip:

The main goal too was a round that would NOT require a rebarreling, at least not for the first rifle, not wanting to put funds into something made for an "untried" round, not even yet developed, so I took a gander at what Remington EVER made in a 35 caliber rifle. Dang.........there wasn't much!

Two. The 35 Whelen and....OH YEAH......the almost forgotton 350 Rem Mag made in a short action!

FWIW 600's and Model 7's (the latter a Custom Shop model, seen time to time on certain auction sites) could be had in .35 Rem

SKRSR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Copy snip:

FWIW 600's and Model 7's (the latter a Custom Shop model, seen time to time on certain auction sites) could be had in .35 Rem

Interesting and bet both are pretty "collectable". I guess I wasnt as explicit as I intended. While there are other nice Rems I like, the Model 700 was the rifle I was looking for rounds in.

I actually had no other choice if going with a factory barrrel, even the 35 Whelen cut to length would not have been adequate for the potential in a round I had in mind.

Thanks though, a Model 7 in one would be SWEET, even if not what I was searching for in capacity.

God bless!

Top Bottom