• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SKRSR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Down the road with the 350JR

Two seasons under the belt of this round. Sold one rifle out of necessity due to finance/health issues but one still here in service.

9 deer down with it now. 180 grain Hot Core and 220 grain Hot Core 2750 and 2500 fps respectively out of our 20 inch barrels and white there is a small bit of difference in recoil the end results are the same. No tracking required.

With the higher BC of the 338 bullets over the 358 bore bullets, half thinking of building a 338JR. A tad more capacity and able to load even the really long Accubond bullets in the 225 grain range (for something bigger than deer) it would sneak by the 338 Federal and 358 Winchester in point of aim ranges and deliver considerable more energy down range.

Yep, some bigger rounds out there but will still stand by few are more efficient, especially considering the lower recoil of this size capacity rounds, factory or not.

Nope, wouldn't be able to use a 338JR in Indiana (yet) but danged if wildcatting didn't get in my blood. If making such for the "market" I'd run SAUM brass but an old time belted round lover (having 400 350 RM brass now)......I think Ill stick with that.

All the Hoosier wildcats are more than adequate for whitetail at our ranges. Not a one would get a negative comment out of me. Just a word of congrats to those fellow Hoosier's that put their noggin in gear and went to work. All fun and games and I for one am half glad the DNR set the regs the way they did.

While some doors were closed to us, we opened some new ones, creating what will be remembered in time for decades to come.

All said and done, the super short IN rounds have come to make me realize how great this length is with the ability to still seat very long, high BC bullets (if wanted) on top of powder charges at least similar to some factory rounds if not a bit more..........not going into the "powder area" of the cartridge.

I ran some numbers on a 375 bore using cut back 338 Norma mag brass (the new one from 2010 or so) that is same base size as the Lapua round. Doable, with a working capacity around 67 grains under the neck but not doable "cheap" at all. Best option for this ol bird would be a rebarrel Ruger No 1 if going there.

Now if I lived in an area where hunting Kodiaks and Yukon moose........I might go there. As is all I can think about is the cost and R E C O I L !!

50 grains (ish) of >>>>>usable<<<< capacity seems about "perfect" for an all round cartridge, IMHO both recoil and cost wise and for ranges out to 300 plus yards in some calibers, and certain bullets.

200 yards will mostly do it all for 99.9 percent of us here.......even out of state something over 300 wouldn't be my preference, but if you run the 338 Nosler 225 grain accubond with a BC of .550 through your fav trajectory calculator..........take special notice of the velocity and energy retained at 400 yards.

Needed? no
    Fun? oh heck yeah

Who said we had to build things we "need" anyway? :ar15:

God Bless

Last edited:

coyote812

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2015
    terre haute
    SO now, i am all psyched up to build one of these only.... i cannot find this john gilbert in michigan and his shop is apparently closed because the phone is no longer connected to HG firearms in michigan.
    Any idea what happened to him & the reamer?

SKRSR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008

SO now, i am all psyched up to build one of these only.... i cannot find this john gilbert in michigan and his shop is apparently closed because the phone is no longer connected to HG firearms in michigan.
    Any idea what happened to him & the reamer?

this reply popped up into my email since there was a reply to this old post.

I would not recommend the "smith" after using him and I've rumors from others on another site that I was not the only one left high and dry with money or work yet owed.

As or a reamer, unless finally getting into my own home once again takes everything I get in SS I intend to have my own reamer made if for no other reason than to have a complete set up to leave in my wake someday.

One of the rifles is still in use here (the other was regretfully sold and the buyer wanted 400 more than he paid for it for me to get it back) but the brown and down, one shot kills with it stands at 16 to date including a 150 plus inch 10 point my friend shot with it in 2014.

Since my brain child it has more "value" to me than most. Most have jumped on the "no belt" bandwagon and wont listen regardless of my findings so the original goal of just a DIY round for me was and still is the objective which I've felt I reached and I'll compare it to any round for effectiveness and ease to create rounds.

As always, I'll support anyone else's choice and have their back, but the 350JR has met and exceeded my expectations. I've not hunted 3 years now and may not again but I still wish to build one more.............that will not be for sale.

I doubt I will be back much but may be when a reamer is available. I've also located a local smith and have spent time with him. He will be doing any chambering for me

God Bless
    Steve sr.

Top Bottom