• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Think about vintage wines, and you'll have your answer.

Yeah but wines come from grape and some other ****. On top of that they have to be kept at a certain temperature and be stored in an an angle (i think).

I don't know.....i was just curious if alcohol expired....

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Its storage life is about 18mo. We rotate it out much faster than that though.

hmm....i didn't know that. I'm learning alot today.

So if peanut butter expires in 18mths, do regular plain penuts last longer? I mean, do they have a shelf life?

spazzmomma

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    I found this on a web site after googling "what are the 37 critical food items.They are as followed and should be taylored to meet your family needs.I did notice that they left out things like water purification tablets and an off the grid power source tho.
    1.Vegetable oil 2.honey 3.sugar 4.rice5.beans 6.wheat 7.powdered milk 8.canned tuna fish 9.canned chicken 10.canned fruit 11.canned vegetables 12.canned tomatos 13.canned beans 14.chicken broth 15.canned soup 16.canned stew 17.baking supplies(they didnt say what kind 18.peanut butter 19.popcorn 20.nuts 21.soy sauce 22.apple cider vinegar 23.bouillion 24.tea 25.coffee 26.salt 27.baby food(this is the taylor to your family thing I was talking about)28.baby formula 29.vitamins 30.hot cocoa 31.garlic 32.freeze dried onions 33.spices 34.yeast 35.pet food 36.flour 37.chewing gum/candy....whew...your welcome.God speed my friend.I dont own a gun,but I want to and joined this forum just to answer your question because my son is a big NRA guy and has a lifetime membership.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Most people, except for the last list here, forgot salt. You can die without it and a lack of it makes food preservation harder. Make sure you have salt.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I found this on a web site after googling "what are the 37 critical food items.They are as followed and should be taylored to meet your family needs.I did notice that they left out things like water purification tablets and an off the grid power source tho.
    1.Vegetable oil 2.honey 3.sugar 4.rice5.beans 6.wheat 7.powdered milk 8.canned tuna fish 9.canned chicken 10.canned fruit 11.canned vegetables 12.canned tomatos 13.canned beans 14.chicken broth 15.canned soup 16.canned stew 17.baking supplies(they didnt say what kind 18.peanut butter 19.popcorn 20.nuts 21.soy sauce 22.apple cider vinegar 23.bouillion 24.tea 25.coffee 26.salt 27.baby food(this is the taylor to your family thing I was talking about)28.baby formula 29.vitamins 30.hot cocoa 31.garlic 32.freeze dried onions 33.spices 34.yeast 35.pet food 36.flour 37.chewing gum/candy....whew...your welcome.God speed my friend.I dont own a gun,but I want to and joined this forum just to answer your question because my son is a big NRA guy and has a lifetime membership.

Welcome to INGO!

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Exactly. Do the legwork yourself. Figure the calories and nutritional needs of you and or your family members and then come up with a basic menu plan that fills those needs. For example. While 37 food items would be nice, I can only think of about a half dozen I need to live forever on. I am hard pressed to come up with ten. Add a big bottle of multi vitamins and you are set.

1. White rice
    2. Mixed beans
    3. Canned meat
    4. Canned fruit
    5. Canned tomatos
    6. Cooking oil

I'll go on.

7. Honey
    8. Soup mix
    9. Dried milk
    10. I dunno, skittles or something.

I'm not saying its a great way to eat, but its better than millions of people eat in 3rd world countries and better than our pioneer ancestors ate some years. It can be done.

Since I read through this whole post before realizing how old it was, I thought it was important to point out an item listed above that has proven to NOT be a good prep.

Just add Arizona Iced Tea.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    If you're stocking up on oil or peanut butter look for glass or metal containers. Most are packed with
    nitrogen or antioxidents(bha/bht) Most plastics will allow gas migration at the molecular level
    This is what makes edible fats rancid.
    Instead of mixes I'd be more inclined to learn to cook from scratch. A supply of wheat and a simple
    Grain mill will go a long way to feed a family...providing you have baking supplys like yeast
    and baking powder,etc. Wheat lasts almost forever if its cool and dry and bug free.

nox

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN
    Out of curiosity, why do these lists always have hard candy on them? I feel like I could easily go the rest of my life without eating another jolly rancher.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Out of curiosity, why do these lists always have hard candy on them? I feel like I could easily go the rest of my life without eating another jolly rancher.

High calorie content and hard candy can last decades with just a little care in storing them.Keep the moisture and bugs out and they will never go bad.

Think of it this way as well.You may be able to go the rest of your life with out eating another piece of candy,but if the world is falling apart around you wouldn't a few seconds of candy bliss be a pick me up?

Candy is in our preps for calories(though empty)and as a pick me up treat.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg

My guess would be for medical reasons, your blood sugar drops and you need to bring it back up. Much easier to carry around in your pocket than peanut butter.

leonvol

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    I searched for it but can't find any posts so if it lives here somewhere, please direct me.

I get emails frequently about a book for sale called: "sold out: 37 critiacl food items to hoard".

Anyone know if this list is available?

I Binged it and all the listings take you to buy the book.

I'd rather just have the list, not the entire book.

Here's an addresss of a website that may help: soldoutaftercrisis.net

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    hmm....i didn't know that. I'm learning alot today.

So if peanut butter expires in 18mths, do regular plain penuts last longer? I mean, do they have a shelf life?

Peanuts, as well as tree nut varieties, go rancid rather quickly, even in cans or jars.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. Wait for passover.

2. Get two or three of those cases of matzah on sale at Marsh or Kroger.

3. Grab some honey, tuna, salmon and store it on the shelf with the matzah.

4. It will last forever (rotate it) and you won't have to worry about surviving the end of the world as, hey, the Jews have BTDT and got the t-shirt.:D

marinemom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Columbus
    I keep warning people that peanut butter goes rancid pretty quickly. Rotate carefully and often.

Since you should be rotating your stocks anyway, this shouldn't be an issue. Most PB on the store shelves has a 1-2 year expiration date. Check before you buy! The last time I bought from Sam's club the expiration was 2014, and that was earlier this year!

jonsey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    OK. Maybe this is another string. If so please point the way for me. We've covered the food side, what would be essential items for self-defense?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom