10. Sewing Supplies
    11. Bolts, Nails Screws
    12. Games
    13. Paper and Pencils
    14. Spare Parts for any and all gear
    15. Musical Instruments
    16. Lantern Mantles
    17. Hand Tools
    18. Broken window fix/replacement/cover (plywood or plastic panes)
    19. Bleach
    20. Household Cleaning Supplies
    21. Sponges
    22. Towels and Wash clothes
    23. Gold Bond or Baby Power
    24. Baby Supplies – diapers etc
    25. Aloe
    26. Sunscreen
    27. Bug Spray (wearing kind)
    28. Bug Spray (killing kind)
    29. Comfort Foods – for morale
    30. Chains and Locks
    31. Isoprophyl (rubbing) alcohol
    32. Mouse Traps
    33. Lamp Wicks – for Oil and Alcohol Lamps
    34. Lice Shampoo
    35. Salt
    35. Liquor
    37. Glasses – Prescription and OTC
    UPDATED:
    38. Alcohol Wipes
    39. Eyedrops
    40. Pet Food
    41. Fertilizer
    42. Coolers
    43. Buckets
    44. Clothes Pins
    45. Childrens clothes in sizes larger than they wear
    46. Superglue
    47. Wash board
    48. Spray paint in black, white, green, brown and black.
    49. Zippers, buttons, snaps, knee patches, velcro
    50. Patches for tents and tarps
    51. Garbage bags
    52. Lime
    53. Charcoal/lighter fluid
    54. Birth control
    55. Vitamins
    56. Razor blades
    57. Saw blades
    58. Garden tools
    59. Spark plugs
    60. Motor oil
    61. Manuel Air/Tire pump
    62. Bird seed to attract wild birds (food source)
    63. Fire extinguishers
    64. Wire
    65. Q-tips
    66. Cotton balls
    67. Corn Starch
    68. Thermal Wear

ilovemyjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    crank radio receiver

I have seen ...crank radio receiver....listed, and wondered if any of you have specific recommendations. I read amazon reviews, and there was so much information that I am just not familiar with yet. ( I have an interest in ham radio, but am just at the very beginning.)

At this point, the radio wouldn' t need to be real portable as it will be in my house...possibly /probably in the basement. It would be a place to start, so that I am covered if there is no power, for now.:)

Also thinking that this could be a good Christmas gift !

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    What you need iS what you consume now! It's pretty simple, actually. Like right now I have an infant, I've never seen formula on a list anywhere. I know I need it, but if I go off whoever the latest guy to claim to be a "survival" expert, I'd have none. You'll know and figure out more by assessing your own situation and planning from there, then look to others for additional input.

Let me start by saying this is my opinion and may not work for everyone and I am a guy.

I am so tired of seeing people say they need formula for their infant. My wife nursed our children and so have generations upon generations of other women. Why stock formula, your wife has the ability to make all the food your child will ever need and it won't cost anything and you don't have to store it.

Let us what if for one minute...
    S has HTF, "your" wife gets pregnant, "you" have no formula stored because "your" child is now 5 and all that "you" did have was bartered off or went bad, there are no formula manufactureres and "you" don't own a milk producing animal and can't barter for milk from one.... what are "you" going to do then?

Last edited:

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I'll start a list...add to it.

1. Bacon
    2. Bacon flavored Popcorn
    3. Bacon scented homemade candles
    4. Bacon
    5. Toilet Paper
    6. Bacon condiments
    7. Beer, Water Filtration Pump
    8. Beans
    9. Beans and Bacon
    10. Canned meats
    11. Canned veggies
    12. Flour, various types
    13. Macaroni, Spaghetti, Noodles
    14. Peanut Butter out the Wazoo
    15. Bacon
    16. Jerky
    17. Kitchen Matches
    18. Lighter fluid
    19. Propane cans
    20. Propane stove and lanterns.
    21. Kerosene lanterns
    22. Kerosene
    23. Bacon and Waffle mix
    24. Syrup (corn and maple)
    25. Toiletries
    26. Medicines
    27. Bandages
    28. Military surgical kit, lots of sutures.
    29. Guns and Ammo
    30. Bacon and Hot Chocolate
    31. Dried and canned fruits
    32. Multi Vitamins
    33. Antibiotics, Bleach, Lysol
    34. Insulin and Needles
    35. Batteries for everything that needs them.
    36. Crank Up Radio Receiver
    37. Guns and Ammo Magazines and bacon

Uhhh you forgot these

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Wine is tilted so the cork is kept wet and don't dry out and let air in turning the wine bad.
    Hard candy is about 90% sugar and is used for quick energy. Also it is good to give to a kid that is crying or hungry.

I have preached for years. Stock what you eat every day. Can it. Stock what you use every day. You can can any thing you buy that is caned.

If you are going to store some thing long term pack it for such. Store stuff in hard plastic or glass.

When you go to the store pick up extras every time you go. At the end of the year you will be looking for places to stock the stuff you have stored. Rotate the stuff you buy.

When summer comes buy two sun screens not just one. Get into the habit of doing this and you will have every thing you need stocked.

We have found that the key to keeping things stocked is remembering to replace what you have used. We keep lists of what we have used so we can replace it.

Two pounds of navy beens makes 10 pints of caned beens. That means what you can buy two cans of store bought beans for is what it cost you to can 10 pints of beans.

You don't need lists of what other people stock. You need to make a list of what you stock at your house and what you eat. That is what will be the best for you and yours. The more you can keep things you do normal in a bad situation the easer it will be for you and yours.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Let me start by saying this is my opinion and may not work for everyone and I am a guy.

I am so tired of seeing people say they need formula for their infant. My wife nursed our children and so have generations upon generations of other women. Why stock formula, your wife has the ability to make all the food your child will ever need and it won't cost anything and you don't have to store it.

Let us what if for one minute...
    S has HTF, "your" wife gets pregnant, "you" have no formula stored because "your" child is now 5 and all that "you" did have was bartered off or went bad, there are no formula manufactureres and "you" don't own a milk producing animal and can't barter for milk from one.... what are "you" going to do then?

It would make sense to have formula in the event that the mother has issues with her milk, either production or nutrition-wise. Certainly wouldn't be the first thing I'd suggest you break out if the mother is perfectly capable of feeding the child, but there are reasons to keep formula stocked.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    this is another stupid question brought to you by: Me

Does alcohol expire?
    Both rubbing alcohol and liquor alcohol?

The answer is, it depends on the manufacturers fermentation process and also depends on how you store it (should be in a cool dark place). I'm no expert, so take this with a grain of salt and do some additional research, but my basic understanding is this:

Low grade alcohol, such as beer, only has a shelf life of about a year.

Low grade wine, like the $10-$50 bottles, about 2-3 years. As fermentation progresses, it turns to vinegar.

Better wines, like $50-$100 bottles, will have a shelf life of 6-8 years.

Wines made specifically for aging, which are quite expensive, will have an indefinite shelf life.

Red wine has a longer shelf life than white wine. Not sure why that is.

Hope this helps. If I have any of this wrong, please feel free to correct it with better research.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    After reading One second after I think I need to stock up on T.P. and feminine hygiene products. I just can't figure out how to store those bulky packages and keep the mice out. Sorry not really what you asked for. I have not seen the "list"

I take the cardboard rolls out of the TP roll and smash it flat. I then put it in rubber maid tubes and seal it with duck tape...especially under the handles. Lot of things you can do with those cardboard rollers.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    dont forget powdered milk, instant oatmeal and instant potatoes. the both high in carbs which will help you get through a day of looking for other thing you need and the prep is easy and you can store a lot in a very small space. dont forget your over the counter pain relievers

Just remember that stuff takes water to cook...if you have to store water you do not want to a store a bunch of food that takes water to prepare.
    I store v-8 juice and my home made tomato juice plus boxes of stock...going to try and can some of my own stock next year....I can make a soup or chowder with my freeze dried food and not use water...I can also cook rice or beans in stock...just remember to rotate it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I found this on a web site after googling "what are the 37 critical food items.They are as followed and should be taylored to meet your family needs.I did notice that they left out things like water purification tablets and an off the grid power source tho.
    1.Vegetable oil 2.honey 3.sugar 4.rice5.beans 6.wheat 7.powdered milk 8.canned tuna fish 9.canned chicken 10.canned fruit 11.canned vegetables 12.canned tomatos 13.canned beans 14.chicken broth 15.canned soup 16.canned stew 17.baking supplies(they didnt say what kind 18.peanut butter 19.popcorn 20.nuts 21.soy sauce 22.apple cider vinegar 23.bouillion 24.tea 25.coffee 26.salt 27.baby food(this is the taylor to your family thing I was talking about)28.baby formula 29.vitamins 30.hot cocoa 31.garlic 32.freeze dried onions 33.spices 34.yeast 35.pet food 36.flour 37.chewing gum/candy....whew...your welcome.God speed my friend.I dont own a gun,but I want to and joined this forum just to answer your question because my son is a big NRA guy and has a lifetime membership.

Most of that is stocked in my pantry for everyday use.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Since you should be rotating your stocks anyway, this shouldn't be an issue. Most PB on the store shelves has a 1-2 year expiration date. Check before you buy! The last time I bought from Sam's club the expiration was 2014, and that was earlier this year!

We use one of the 6 pound cans of peanut butter from sams's a month...never goes bad here....I keep at least 10 on the self at all time.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I have seen ...crank radio receiver....listed, and wondered if any of you have specific recommendations. I read amazon reviews, and there was so much information that I am just not familiar with yet. ( I have an interest in ham radio, but am just at the very beginning.)

At this point, the radio wouldn' t need to be real portable as it will be in my house...possibly /probably in the basement. It would be a place to start, so that I am covered if there is no power, for now.:)

Also thinking that this could be a good Christmas gift !

Heres a nice radio: You can find it at www.bugoutstore.com

The rechargeable FRX3 is a preparedness radio with AM/FM, all seven NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) weather band stations and the “Alert” system. When the “Alert” function is on, the radio will automatically broadcast emergency weather alerts for your area such as hurricanes, tornadoes and severe storms. Set the solar panel in the sun or spin the hand turbine for one minute to get 10-15 minutes of radio and flashlight use. There are also AAA battery and DC power alternatives (mini-USB included). The FRX3 also serves as a renewable power source for your other critical devices because of its USB smart phone charger. Simply plug in your phone into the USB port and power will automatically “dump charge” to your phone, just like plugging into the wall. This radio has a glow-in-the-dark locater so you can find it easily at night plus a LED flashlight and red flashing beacon for emergencies. If you want more than just the radio, there’s an AUX-input to play your own tunes and a headphone output for individual listening.

Top Bottom