• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The longer barrel of the Bersa would give you more velocity the the .380 micro guns. I would opt for quality defense ammo. But carry what is reliable.

Many JHP rounds will show you *less*, not more penetration with increased velocity. With these rounds, they open earlier and further with increased velocity and penetrate less.

Other rounds will only open so far and extra velocity doesn't reduce penetration, it will usually either stay the same or slightly increase. The only thing the greater velocity does with these rounds is more energy dump (stretch cavity).

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Many JHP rounds will show you *less*, not more penetration with increased velocity. With these rounds, they open earlier and further with increased velocity and penetrate less.

Other rounds will only open so far and extra velocity doesn't reduce penetration, it will usually either stay the same or slightly increase. The only thing the greater velocity does with these rounds is more energy dump (stretch cavity).

One of the problems with the small 380s is that the barrel length does not develop enough velocity for some JHPs to either penetrate or expand. So worst of both worlds. As the barrels get longer the performance improves. But yes you are correct that higher velocity will increase expansion and may result in reducing penetration. Not sure if it really matters since 380 is a relatively low powered cartridge when compared with "service calibers".

I would opt for the most reliable ammunition whether it be JHP or FMJ. In the 380 we have that happens to be full powered defensive loads.

IndyPerk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I've been considering picking up a little Bersa just because they are so good for such a low price, but I have to say I'd probably carry FMJ in it. You just can't trust JHP penetration in a .380.

I use a combination of JHP, followed by FMJ, followed by JHP, followed by FMJ... well you get the idea. :yesway:

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    .380 is good for close combat uses. Well, I mean very close to be effective. Depending on the season, in winter, people wear more layers even the bad guys feel cold so, then you would have to upclose and personal. That'd be too uncomfy for me so I opted for at least a 9mm with more velocity to be more effective defensive use. Just my opinion.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    In all seriousness, depending on the situation the knife may move up in the list. I am not one, but a serious knife fighter with the mind set to use it can be absolutely devastating at close range. I've had the honor of training with a skilled knife fighter, and its eye opening how fast you can end up with a chalk line up the back of your gun hand (slicing the tendons) and have the blade in the notch between your neck and shoulder on the return stroke.

Few stabbings are fatal because the attacker isn't dedicated or is unskilled. They just don't go deep enough or don't go to the right places. A guy who knows what he's doing and really wants to harm you, well, you are in a bad place.

Indeed so. On one hand, I don't see Miyamoto Musashi 2.0 as a potential threat under most circumstances, but it can happen. It makes a fine argument for proactive situational awareness and dealing with threats before they enter arm's reach!

Top Bottom