• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tater36

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2014
    Greenwood
    If you want to be able to shoot it often, I would say 9mm. .380 is like gold now days, hard to find and you are gonna pay an arm and a leg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If you want to be able to shoot it often, I would say 9mm. .380 is like gold now days, hard to find and you are gonna pay an arm and a leg

Another great reason to get into reloading. .380 is one of the easiest and cheapest rounds to load. It's been a while since I've done a batch, but I used to be able to do a box of 50 for less than $5. If you are not reloading, .380 can be a tough caliber to shoot due to sporadic ammo shortages.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Thru all this hot humid weather, I have found that I can easily carry my Glock 26 in a snug t-shirt, and it's concealed very easy.

I have come to this conclusion:

Yes, sometimes it would be nice to carry a smaller pistol. But why? With a good belt and quality holster, I can carry a Glock 19 all day long in the hottest temperature, and keep it concealed no problem. I'm even betting I can do the same with my new Glock 17.

My Glock 26 is better than any .380 out there. It's a far better round, and even more reliable. With the size of today's 9mm handguns, anyone that chooses a .380 over the new 9mm pistols are, IMO, lazy. It's not that difficult to carry a 9mm.

duboismd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    The Sig P938 is almost as small as the P238 and with full size sights is a great carry gun. I couldn't believe how accurate it is. For warm weather, everyday carry it sure works for me.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Other than the cost of the ammo, buy the gun that you shoot best.
    If most shootings occur between 0-20', just shoot them in the center chest. Whether it is a 380 or 9MM, won't matter.

Tobias

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    IMO with all the sub compact 9mm out there it would be hard for me to choose a .380 over a xds, pm9, 938.....ect. Although being a 170lbs 5'8" guy in some extreme concealment situations a lcp is just bout the only option. Those who say you can easily conceal a G19 wearing a tshirt (that doesnt look like a dress) just doesn't work for a person similiar to my size when you are in a situation where a firearm absolutely can not be noticed. Some situations and professions simply can not remotely chance what the average person considers a cell phone, someone else may suspect a firearm.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Another great reason to get into reloading. .380 is one of the easiest and cheapest rounds to load. It's been a while since I've done a batch, but I used to be able to do a box of 50 for less than $5. If you are not reloading, .380 can be a tough caliber to shoot due to sporadic ammo shortages.
    Forgive my naiveness but will 9mm bullets work for .380 brass? My dad is teaching me to reload so I'm still learning.

Tater36

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2014
    Greenwood
    just purcahsed a Kahr PM9, haven't even gotten it to the range yet. If it proves reliable, it has potential to be a great carry option...more to follow after some range time.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    There all kinds of 9mm pistols now that come in sizes that 20 years ago would have been .380 by default. Unless you want a pistol for real deeeep concealment (keltec, ruger LCP etc) I'd chose 9mm unless you find the recoil a problem in a small pistol.
    One thing to consider about really small pistols is that they can be hard to handle/shoot because of their size. Sometimes less is just less. The bottom line is that the balance between concealability and everything else is something you have to experiment with yourself and decide what works for you

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I think 380 will kill/stop sometime just as easily as any other carry caliber with good shot placement...people that say 380 sucks have never been shot with one. There's no doubt 9mm and up carry more of a punch, but 380 is sufficient with little recoil and would be my choice for concealment, but not home defense.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    There all kinds of 9mm pistols now that come in sizes that 20 years ago would have been .380 by default. Unless you want a pistol for real deeeep concealment (keltec, ruger LCP etc) I'd chose 9mm unless you find the recoil a problem in a small pistol.
    One thing to consider about really small pistols is that they can be hard to handle/shoot because of their size. Sometimes less is just less. The bottom line is that the balance between concealability and everything else is something you have to experiment with yourself and decide what works for you

For my CCW needs, exactly why I pitched my LCP and upgraded to the P938. 9mm compact, better quality, more accurate, very easy to conceal in any clothing and much more easy to handle/shoot. I was never sold on a "one purpose" gun so after many years of experimenting I believe I now have a great CCW and a respectable range gun all in one small package. Do I compare it to my favorite Kimber and my other full size shooters? No way! But it sure is a lot easier to carry .:)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I think 380 will kill/stop sometime just as easily as any other carry caliber with good shot placement...people that say 380 sucks have never been shot with one. There's no doubt 9mm and up carry more of a punch, but 380 is sufficient with little recoil and would be my choice for concealment, but not home defense.

If a .380 is sufficient for concealment, but not for home defense, why carry it then?

My life and my families lives are just as important out and about in public as it is in the house. I will not compromise any more. I'll carry the best pistol I have on my as I would use as my house gun. And a .380 doesn't even come close.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have a couple of guns chambered in 9x18 Makarov. They are not primary for anything. I will occasionally slip one in my pocket if I am just going up to the corner gas station. For home defense or primary carry I would not go below 9mm.

Top Bottom