• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nightmare938

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    United States
    I highly recommend the sig p938...it's a great gun...I carry mine daily and it's very nice to carry even with the mag extension. And there are quite a few models out there to choose from to suit your taste.

GunGirl13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Hancock County
    That's interesting...I did not know Taurus made a .380 revolver. I have owned several .380's. Kel-tech, TCP, and LCP. They are all gone, but the P238 remains. I don't have total confidence in the .380 so rarely is it my main carry weopon. But I just love this pistol. Accurate, low recoil and extremely reliable. If you choose pocket carry, this is what I recommend. Typically for me it is a BUG. I also have shot all the 9mm handguns the OP listed, and as much as I liked the P938, I still prefer my CM9. BBI is right, IWB is the way to go. I have 2 holsters I really like with my CM9. One is an El Paso, the other is a Talon, which I prefer. 200 miles plus in the UP snowmobiling, and I frequently was checking to make sure it was still there. There have been some concerns about frame wear with the CM9, but I personally don't see it as an issue. With Talon grips on my CM9, it is extremely comfortable to shoot, lowest recoil, very accurate and extremely reliable. Hope this helps. Oh...and if you can swing it, get both.:)

It is the Taurus Ultra-Lite .380. Thank you for your advice. I wish I could buy 2 or 3 right now, but I will have to settle for one... until I win the lottery. lol

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    It is the Taurus Ultra-Lite .380. Thank you for your advice. I wish I could buy 2 or 3 right now, but I will have to settle for one... until I win the lottery. lol

I checked on your little revolver. The weight is almost the same as the Sig P238. You said shooting your revolver was not fun, so I assume that is due to recoil. Before you buy one of the little auto pistols, you will want to shoot them first. I am going to guess the recoil on all the pistols mentioned in this thread will be unpleasant due to recoil, other than the Sig P238 or maybe the Kahr .380. Auto pistols by design typically have slightly less recoil if handgun weight and cartridge are the same. A 9mm will have more recoil than a .380 if the pistols are the same weight. The CM9 has less felt recoil than it should being so small and light weight. Kahr magic I guess. But I think it would still "kick" a little harder than your .380 revolver.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Bear in mind ANY lightweight pistol will be unpleasant to shoot. That is normal. If you want something fun to shoot, get a range gun. just my .02

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Bear in mind ANY lightweight pistol will be unpleasant to shoot. That is normal. If you want something fun to shoot, get a range gun. just my .02

I have to disagree. My wife is extremely recoil sensitive, and she finds the Sig P238 pleasant to shoot, as do I. I'm not that recoil sensitive, but I'm no burley gorilla he man either. And I enjoy shooting several of the lightweight pistols. Each person has to see what works for them. If they don't like certain pistols, or can't shoot certain pistols well, that does not mean the same is true for everyone.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I have to disagree. My wife is extremely recoil sensitive, and she finds the Sig P238 pleasant to shoot, as do I. I'm not that recoil sensitive, but I'm no burley gorilla he man either. And I enjoy shooting several of the lightweight pistols. Each person has to see what works for them. If they don't like certain pistols, or can't shoot certain pistols well, that does not mean the same is true for everyone.
    ^^this is true. My wife hates recoil, but she loves her Sig P238.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    The only thing I can contribute, the Ruger LCP is more for females or small finger. the trigger and guard is small and tight.
    I have small hands but a bit fatter finger. After shooting one mag. My finger and grip fingers were in pain. Dump it the first chance I got.
    it is a very good very close range defense pistol. they state that it is double action. it is simi - double action. it will fire from half cock but not down solid. it is hard to get it to half cock.

stack23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    The only thing I can contribute, the Ruger LCP is more for females or small finger. the trigger and guard is small and tight.
    I have small hands but a bit fatter finger. After shooting one mag. My finger and grip fingers were in pain. Dump it the first chance I got.
    it is a very good very close range defense pistol. they state that it is double action. it is simi - double action. it will fire from half cock but not down solid. it is hard to get it to half cock.

That can be fixed with a hogue grip and a wolff 13# recoil spring. I put them both on my LCP and it makes a huge difference

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Hobart
    Shot the ruger lc9 and did not like it. Personally I carry a glock 26, but I love shooting it. 2nd choice would be a much smaller m&p shield in 9mm. Go to the range and shoot the guns first so you don't have buyers remorse. Or if you are in nwin go to a meet and shoot, there are so many guns to try out, you will be able to decide what you like and handle better. Good luck.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    9mm obviously is what you want. I still can't for the life of me figure out why the .380 is as popular as it is. Unless you live in one of those countries where the 9mm is banned due to it being a military caliber I feel like the .380 and all the other mouse gun calibers are pretty much obsolete now that we have a ton of great quality compact and even subcompact 9mms available. To me as a former big-bore revolver shooter and .357 Magnum snub shooter/carrier the 9mm (even in +P) has pretty mild recoil. Shoot enough and you get used to the fairly gentle recoil of 9mm even in a small gun. Of course right now with the ammo situation "shooting enough" could be difficult!

But my advice is stay away from anything smaller/less powerful than 9mm in semi-autos or .38+P in revolvers....at least for defensive purposes.

Camzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2014
    Navy
    Wifey has the LC9. We took it to the range once and left within 30mins very disappointed. there is approximately (didnt measure exactly) 3.76351 ft of trigger creep. there is a trigger bar that cuts trigger pull either 50%, or 35%, your choice of length. Were gonna pay the $40 to order one and try it again. if it doesnt put a smile on SWMBO's face, its getting sold. Once in and tested, ill post a range report.

The flip side is that if youre going to pocket carry, lower chance of negligent discharge as youd hafta pull hella long (see distance estimation above).

YMMV

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I prefer DAO for my carry pistols. Sig P238/P938 and the Colt Pocketlite firearms are excellent quality but I don't want to train myself to turn a safety off or remember to cock the hammer. Just something to think about.

9mm obviously is what you want. I still can't for the life of me figure out why the .380 is as popular as it is. Unless you live in one of those countries where the 9mm is banned due to it being a military caliber I feel like the .380 and all the other mouse gun calibers are pretty much obsolete now that we have a ton of great quality compact and even subcompact 9mms available. To me as a former big-bore revolver shooter and .357 Magnum snub shooter/carrier the 9mm (even in +P) has pretty mild recoil. Shoot enough and you get used to the fairly gentle recoil of 9mm even in a small gun. Of course right now with the ammo situation "shooting enough" could be difficult!
    But my advice is stay away from anything smaller/less powerful than 9mm in semi-autos or .38+P in revolvers....at least for defensive purposes.

I would invite anyone who feels that a .380 is a mouse gun to be shot by one.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think it has already been said... Better to have a tiny mouse gun in your pocket than a larger pistol at home.

Some people like my wife are not willing (or able) to dress around the gun. She wants something small and unobtrusive, that is easy to completely conceal no matter what she is wearing. (she doesnt feel comfy printing) So she settled on the LCP. Her BFF bought a LC9 from the guys at USDS, and That was even too big for her taste.

Hell, if I was told it was a 22lr or nothing, I'd still carry a 22.

Top Bottom