• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    well i just bought a s&w chiefs special 40 cal. with the intent of making it into a 10 mm.\
    sounds like a fun project & carry gun

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    I like the 40s&w. I have 5 different pistols in 40. I like the comprimise between the higher capacity of the 9mm and the heavy 45acp.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Nothing wrong with 40sw, I personally prefer 9mm. But yes 40 has been on the decline for a few years. 10mm has gone full circle and has been taken its place.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Just a manufacturer example but Glock is famous for making a bunch of 40 S&W guns and yet (at least as far as I have seen) not a single Gen 5 gun has been made in 40 yet. That should be pretty much everything the consumer base needs to know.

Same could be said for .45 though. My guess is that if an agency asks for a Gen 5 G21 or G23, we’d see it but nobody’s asked yet.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Today's most popular handgun calibers (by calibers searched) on Ammoseek:

Capture.jpg

I wouldn't worry about .40 S&W going anywhere. There are fewer new pistols chambered for .40 today, but many thousands of them in circulation out there.

That’s an interesting chart. It sure does show .40 having a smaller footprint but I do wonder if the 9mm stats are inflated by the cost of ammo being so low. For instance, I shoot a lot of 9mm, .40 and .45 but I only buy 9mm ammo because I can hardly beat the price of 9mm with reloaded ammo. For .40 and .45, I still have a decent savings so I stock components deep and reload what I shoot in those calibers. For 9mm though, I just buy ammo.

The cheap cost of 9mm has got to have some impact on the numbers due to reloader just buying 9mm instead of reloading it. I’m not suggesting that it’s even close to evening out but just that there may be more to the ratio than just popularity.

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    yes, it is. but I still like it just fine.. This is a great time to overbuy on LEO trade in's.. lol
    IVTDF8D.jpg

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    That’s an interesting chart. It sure does show .40 having a smaller footprint but I do wonder if the 9mm stats are inflated by the cost of ammo being so low. For instance, I shoot a lot of 9mm, .40 and .45 but I only buy 9mm ammo because I can hardly beat the price of 9mm with reloaded ammo. For .40 and .45, I still have a decent savings so I stock components deep and reload what I shoot in those calibers. For 9mm though, I just buy ammo.

The cheap cost of 9mm has got to have some impact on the numbers due to reloader just buying 9mm instead of reloading it. I’m not suggesting that it’s even close to evening out but just that there may be more to the ratio than just popularity.

Just did an Ammoseek search for both 9mm and .40, specifying new brass case ammo, no reloads or aluminum/steel case.

Lowest cost 9mm came in at about 14 cents a round. Lowest cost .40 is about 21 cents a round.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis

I'm surprised they offered a 2 pin 40 caliber for trials. After the 40 caliber Glock was first introduced, they had to install a locking block pin. That was gen 2. There are a few 2 pin gen 2 40's but they're rare.
    The trials guns had to be down to so many parts, 19 I think but I could be wrong. Thus no locking block pin. The gen 5's are riding on the r&d of the trials guns. A few new models have come to market but nothing over 9mm is offered. Maybe a higher caliber will have an 'improved' design, by bringing back the locking block pin.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    One reason I like 40 is somewhat absurd: I find the slightly larger case much easier to physically handle. With my hands, I find the larger 40 case just is easier to hold, pick up, load in a mag, etc etc. Don't get me started on .22 pistols.

And of course, since 10mm is the perfect mm, that goes even more for the Perfect 10.

.45 cases also are easier to handle, but not more so than the 40/10.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    I'm surprised they offered a 2 pin 40 caliber for trials. After the 40 caliber Glock was first introduced, they had to install a locking block pin. That was gen 2. There are a few 2 pin gen 2 40's but they're rare.
    The trials guns had to be down to so many parts, 19 I think but I could be wrong. Thus no locking block pin. The gen 5's are riding on the r&d of the trials guns. A few new models have come to market but nothing over 9mm is offered. Maybe a higher caliber will have an 'improved' design, by bringing back the locking block pin.

I read somewhere that the locking block is different on the G5's ? I don't have a G5 to compare. Maybe somebody can confirm or deny for us.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    With as many LEO trade in .40s on the market from Glock, I don’t expect them to put any real effort into building a Gen 5 G22, G23 or G27. They would sell relatively few of them when you can get a nice Gen 4 in great shape for $200 less.

I do wonder if we will see a minor resurgence in .40 as more and more people buy the surplus guns that would never have given the round a try at previous market prices. A lot of people that denigrate the round have never owned one and only shot a mag or two through a friends after shooting 9mm pistols. The only time I’ve ever found the .40 round to feel snappy is if I shoot it immediately after shooting 9mm target loads. Compare standard .40 to a 9mm target load and the gun might feel a bit more snappy. Take it out to the range and shoot it first and you don’t feel that.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I read somewhere that the locking block is different on the G5's ? I don't have a G5 to compare. Maybe somebody can confirm or deny for us.

I thought that I had read that the Gen 5s still use the same locking block with the provision for the 3rd pin. If that’s the case, it could be that modern polymers are stronger than they were in the early 90s when the first Gen 2 .40s came out.

Hopefully, one of our guys that owns both Gen 3/4 and Gen 5 will confirm shortly.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis

From one article, Glock confirms 9mm only for gen 5.
    From another article, locking block will fit into gen 4, looks physically the same, but holes don't line up.
    Most parts are unique to gen 5. I'll say the 3rd pin comes back with the 40. It's not needed on the 9mm only gen 5.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I got to check out the 17m before the gen 5 release. My bil had one of the 150 issued to IMPD and the slide would roll off during a dry fire. They were sent back. I have a couple of his old duty guns. That would have been a nice one to have.

Top Bottom