• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My EDC has become a P07 in .40. I don’t know why, but the P07 in .40 shoots more like a 9mm to me. That’s simply a sweet platform for that caliber. CZ has also backed away from the caliber though and probably with a good reason. I picked up a second BNIB .40 P07 in September of 2018 that had a mfg date of 2014. That’s a long time to sit in a warehouse.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    .357 Sig was a good idea, but check out the 9x22 Action Express (there is a snippet at the end of the .41 AE Wiki entry). It had the .357 Sig beat by six years (1988 vs 1994). If the .41 AE and 9mm AE had taken off, you would be able to easily swap between three calibers instead of just two. 9mm Luger for cheap practice, .41 AE for larger diameter bullets, and 9mm AE for slinging 9mm bullets at blazing fast speeds - and all with the same slide, only two different magazines, and two different recoil springs.

Would've been cool.;)

doubleeagle4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    East Central
    I think the evolution of ammo has a lot to do with it. 9mm ammo got sooo much better that there really wasn't the need for the 40 S&W anymore. I think it has kind of got stuck as the in-between round, which can be good or bad- depending on how you look at it. If people are worried about velocity and capacity, they tend to go with 9mm. If they want mass, they tend to go with 45acp. 40 kind of gets lost in the middle of that. I like it because it's kind of best of both worlds. More capacity than 45 but bigger and harder hitting than 9mm.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    It seems calibers come and go in popularity.
    The 40 has definitely dropped in popularity but I personally haven't seen a significant change in bullet performance. One has less felt recoil, one makes bigger holes and one falls in between in performance.
    I've carried the 40 for almost 20yrs and am still confident in it's performance. I do like the lower prices of the new and used 40's on the market right now. I'm guessing this is what it was like when law enforcement changed from revolvers to automatics.
    As always, it's whatever makes people happy. That's the best part of firearms. Everyone can get what they like in whatever caliber they like.

Stay safe

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    Agree about the pricing on 40 cal guns. I picked up a S&W Shield 40cal for about 1/2 in the used case as a 9mm. Went to range and there is a little more recoil, but manageable. Got 3 mags with the purchase, and is a great carry gun. I also own 9mm's and dont feel underarmed with either one. Guess its time to hunt up a G22, I carried one for my LEO job, and no complaints. Feds change their firearms all around, so my G19 is only 15 yrs old now. Still dependable and no issues. I would not hesitate to carry either or both!

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i only have 1 gun in 40S&W, a glock 27, originally purchased not long after the 26/27 hit the market. i can only compare it to full size 1911's in 45acp. never owned a 9mm.
    25 years ago, a 9mm didnt have the best performance, for some the 45 was too much gun, 10mm was too much gun, 40 seemed to be the best compromise.
    i'm mainly a USPSA shooter, i see more and more 9mm brass on the ground than any other caliber, especially for production/L10 shooters. seems like quite a few limited shooters are still shooting 40's.

"back in the day" i saw a few 9x23 in the open class, 9x25 dillon never caught on, but it seems the 38 super is still the king of the hill.

:cheers:

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Ammo seems like it's about half of what it used to be. .25 cents versus the .35-.40 I'd used to see.
    Shouldn't have bought so much bulk a few years ago...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Ammo seems like it's about half of what it used to be. .25 cents versus the .35-.40 I'd used to see.
    Shouldn't have bought so much bulk a few years ago...
    That's why people should be stocking up now, but they will wait for the next big panic and buy at a higher price and complain.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I do with ammo companies had a subscription program. It would be nice to commit to a case a month or even every other week and always have the cabinet well stocked without having to think about it. I did that with Amazon and CR123 batteries a while back and now have a nice stockpile of them. If ammo companies did that, I could budget around it and always have a fresh case of .40 no more than two weeks out.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    To each his/her own, let the .40 decline, more for me.

I did just buy a 9mm G-45 and got a G-17 returned to me.
    I will have fun shooting them.

Funny many now say they love the wonder nine and I agree they are all nice 9/.40/.45 etc, etc.
    Many a time I will ask a guy with a 9mm what he/she has in it.
    Oh I carry (magic bullet here) in (+p) or (+p+),
    me a 180 gr JHP (Winchester or Federal).

I always try and shoot all my pistols well, starting years ago with a .45 ACP COLT Combat Commander.

Today that would serve me well.

I will shoot plates with anybody with one of my.40 Glocks.

Last edited:

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    The caliber itself is no less effective than it has been for the last 30 years.

I think it's just hipsters turning up their noses at it. Just not cool enough for instagram commandos anymore.

While it's not LESS effective, the performance gap between it and 9 has shrunk to the point of being inconsequential, while 9 still offers lower recoil (faster hits) lower price (more practice) and more capacity.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    While it's not LESS effective, the performance gap between it and 9 has shrunk to the point of being inconsequential, while 9 still offers lower recoil (faster hits) lower price (more practice) and more capacity.

The same improvements that have benefited 9mm, have benefited .40 as well. It’s not that the gap has narrowed, but that 9mm has become reasonably effective. There are advantages to 9mm and there are advantages to .40 and .45 as well. Pick your poison and practice with it. How much you practice has more to do with effectiveness than which one you choose.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    One area where I would prefer the .40 over the 9mm would be as a dual use woods gun and occasional self defense carry piece. I'd trust 15 rounds of heavy hard cast flat nose .40 S&W at 1000 fps over anything you can stuff into a 9mm for woods use for defense against anything but the largest bears or moose.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I have seen some talk recently that .40 cal pistols don’t seem to be exactly on the upswing in popularity. That might mean some bargains short-term for those who dig .40, but does that match with what you have seen/heard, anecdotally? Have any manufacturers stepped back from producing .40 offerings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Check back on this in 10 years and you will see the .40 was the great American Koolaid.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    With as many LEO trade in .40s on the market from Glock, I don’t expect them to put any real effort into building a Gen 5 G22, G23 or G27. They would sell relatively few of them when you can get a nice Gen 4 in great shape for $200 less.

I do wonder if we will see a minor resurgence in .40 as more and more people buy the surplus guns that would never have given the round a try at previous market prices. A lot of people that denigrate the round have never owned one and only shot a mag or two through a friends after shooting 9mm pistols. The only time I’ve ever found the .40 round to feel snappy is if I shoot it immediately after shooting 9mm target loads. Compare standard .40 to a 9mm target load and the gun might feel a bit more snappy. Take it out to the range and shoot it first and you don’t feel that.

I have not been able to find the G22, 23, or 27 trade-ins for under $200. Where are they located? I would like to get a 23 and a 27.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I enjoy shooting .40, have several different pistols, i also carry a 40, but i also shoot .45 and 9mm a lot too. Few weeks ago midsouth had a big clearance i was getting american eagle in 155 gt and 180 gr for 5 dollars and change after the rebate, and yes i bought the most i could like 4 cases plus.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I have not been able to find the G22, 23, or 27 trade-ins for under $200. Where are they located? I would like to get a 23 and a 27.

He said "$200 less," meaning $200 less than a current retail Gen 5, which is about $530 or so. That was a pretty good estimate, about $330 for a police trade, a little more depending on exact model and condition.

Here's a bunch of trade-in Glocks for less than $400, even some 9mm and .45 ACP. You can get a G22 for $299.99. I've not bought from them, but looks like an online shop based in Indiana.

https://www.recoilgunworks.com/police-tradein-guns-c-132.html

Top Bottom