• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There are lots of good options. For me, the Sig full size 1911 is one of my favorite full size guns in .45. I am also a fan of the CZs and may pick up a SAR K2 one of these days. I had a CZ 97B and that was really nice, but it was the biggest gun I owned. In fact, it was too big and I sold it because of that. The K2 looks to be sculpted a bit better and has 4 more rounds on board.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I'll be the odd man out here and suggest.... a revolver in .45 ACP, specifically the S&W 625.
    Uses moonclips, fast reloads, and just a lot of fun!!! I love 1911s, but there's something very appealing about a revolver that shoots .45 ACP (or if you reload, you can reload your own .45 auto rim, which is just a .45 ACP with a rim to engage the chamber/charge hole).

for 1911s, the TRP is great, but with a hefty price tag. Any of their Loaded line are great and might be a more reasonable starting point, that you can customize later as desired. The Ruger SR1911 is even more affordable and doesn't give up much to the Loaded Springfields (admittedly some fit and finish, but not much). Even Sig 1911s are pretty solid if you can live with the external extractor -- there are a couple models with internal as well (correct me if I'm wrong here INGO)

Happy hunting! As long as it goes bang when you hit the switch and YOU like it, then you can't lose!

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Thanks so much for the insight guys. I appreciate the input. I am glad you gave me some suggestions. There are some guns listed here that were not on my radar and that is what I was hoping for...I will definitely consider all these options.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Thanks so much for the insight guys. I appreciate the input. I am glad you gave me some suggestions. There are some guns listed here that were not on my radar and that is what I was hoping for...I will definitely consider all these options.

Where you located at in Indy? Maybe you should try and meet up with some INGO members at the local range and try out some of the guns on your list before you buy.

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I have a Trp, glock 21, and M&P .45c. 45 is my favorite handgun round, so in my opinion your starting in the right place. I couldn't be happier with any of them. The all have different purposes. Trp range/competition, glock is a nightstand gun, and the M&P is my EDC. I have and wouldn't hesitate to swop out rolls of either three of them either. Hopefully this helps.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    If you can get to Brazil and the PROteq range I would gladly allow you to check out and fire any of my .45's. Just send me a PM and we can work the details out.

I also have a Glock 30 but it isn't a full sized so I didn't mention it. I have other smaller 45's as well. I try to carry a 45 when carrying a pistol though I tend to be more of a wheel gunner so I carry .357's most of the time.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    My EDC right now is a Glock 21. Pretty much foolproof, constant, smooth trigger pull, lightweight, high-capacity (13+1), easy to maintain, accurate. The only downside -- and this is not meant to be insulting to any Glock aficionados -- is the ugly factor. I'm sorry, but it makes me glad that I carry concealed. :laugh:

However ... being more of a Sig guy, I've been casting my eye on the P227. Aesthetically MUCH more pleasing to me, the new style grip is extremely comfortable in my hand, and it's a Sig. The only thing that's keeping me from pulling the trigger (so to speak) is that I'd be giving up 3 rounds of capacity, yet because of the metal frame, carrying the same weight. I'm not convinced that improved aesthetics is an even trade.

After all, it would still be concealed. ;)

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    There are lots of good options. For me, the Sig full size 1911 is one of my favorite full size guns in .45. I am also a fan of the CZs and may pick up a SAR K2 one of these days. I had a CZ 97B and that was really nice, but it was the biggest gun I owned. In fact, it was too big and I sold it because of that. The K2 looks to be sculpted a bit better and has 4 more rounds on board.

The new aluminum grips on the 97b make it feel much better than the old wood ones. It doesn't feel like it's too big like it used to. Dare I say the new version feels better than any of my other handguns or anything else I've held (pretty much everything out there)...I do. But I do have pretty long fingers, so larger guns tend to feel better to me.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    4506-1 eats anything, built like a brick house, quality 3rd gen smith, and just BA. I love mine its great at 25 yds.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    4506-1 eats anything, built like a brick house, quality 3rd gen smith, and just BA. I love mine its great at 25 yds.

Only problem is the slide mounted safety. It's a deal breaker for me. Otherwise, the 4506 is one of the nicest .45's ever made.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Only problem is the slide mounted safety. It's a deal breaker for me. Otherwise, the 4506 is one of the nicest .45's ever made.

I have one holster where it will snag on drawing and flip it off safe. Otherwise I have no problem with it. My years in the service gave me plenty of training with these slide mounted safeties.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    My only Glock is a 21 and I find it to be an excellent handgun. But I also really like the Springfield XDm in .45 ACP. I don't have one but I have fired a friend's quite a bit and I think I'd be happy with either one. BTW, the G21 is an older one (Gen2) and I find that I prefer the grip without the finger ridges as on the new ones.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    If you can get to Brazil and the PROteq range I would gladly allow you to check out and fire any of my .45's. Just send me a PM and we can work the details out.

I also have a Glock 30 but it isn't a full sized so I didn't mention it. I have other smaller 45's as well. I try to carry a 45 when carrying a pistol though I tend to be more of a wheel gunner so I carry .357's most of the time.

Thanks so much! I will PM you as soon as I am able!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I own a Springer TRP Tactical. It is one of my favorite guns and my primary home defense piece. It runs like a race car, eats anything I have fed it and has not once missed a beat. I run the :poop: out of this gun because that it was it was intended for. Yes, a bit spendy...get more for the money....I do not see what more you would want.
    If you want groups buy a Springer RO and enjoy it. If you want a tactical 1911, for the money, TRP.

JMHO

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Good looking gun you have there! I have read some stuff about having to modify some 1911's out of the box to get good function out of them. Is this all hogwash? I think that if I was going to drop $1500+ on a gun it better function like nothing else.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    I was hoping to get some suggestions on a .45 caliber full size pistol. I was thinking about getting a 1911, something along the lines of a Springfield TRP, I really like the features of this gun, but for the money I feel like I could I get a whole lot more.

I am also considering an XDm Competition in the 5.25" barrel, bi-tone which is almost half the price of a TRP...

Will you guys with experience with full size .45's make some suggestions? And maybe a few good reasons why the pistol you are suggesting. I am really open to anything at this point, steel or plastic, doesn't really matter....I just want to know everything that is out there and what people are having a good experience with.

Thanks!

Here you go! HK45

pistol-training.com » Blog Archive » HK45 Endurance Test: Week Thirty Seven

Top Bottom