• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Well little bit of an update, I just went and filed for my lifetime carry liscence so I just might start carrying. But I did go up to the local shop yesterday, and I have to even if I have to save a little more cash, im getting something in stainless. Dnt know what it was but stainless except for the black grips, and it was 700 so I would say it was used. But thats ok for a quality gun. Dont really like the short stubby type guns, I know it makes it harder to carry one thats a larger style, but im not going to shell out that kind of money for something I dont like. I dont mind if its hard to concel just as long as I can find a holster,lol. Thanks for the input, very helpfull

So you found a gun you like... You remember the price and the finish, but, you don't know what it is? Since it was a used gun... What if it's not there when you go back? I would go back and get the model, so that you can find another if they sell that one... There's also internet price comparison...

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea I know, I looked at so much stuff yesterday I cant remember. But good idea ill run back out there and check. I think it was a Smith an Wesson but Im not sure. Should have wrote it down yesterday. Ill go look and get the model an post it up

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I may be a bit late to the party for recommending but I'm a huge fan of the Glock 21. I carry it daily and shoot IDPA with it. 13 + 1 rounds of .45 with an accessory market that rivals that of the AR/870/1911 platforms; you'll be spoiled for choice when it comes to holsters, fiber optic sites, extra mags... While not a tremendously high round count my 21 is nearing the 3,000 round mark with no issues. Had 2 bad rounds which were ammo related and I don't know if there is a gun in the world that would have either chambered or properly ejected those 2 rounds! As simple and unimpressive as it may look, the 21 is my favorite gun I own. :twocents:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ha ha Dusty, No prob all info still appreciated. I just kinda fell in love with that one I seen. And just cant see spending that kind of money on something I know i dnt like without even shooting it, lol

dondavis3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    DFW area
    Kinda hard to beat a Kimber :rockwoot:

0102-Copy.jpg

Great gun to shoot.

Very high quality.

:cool:

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Springfield, I have several all shoot great, xd or xdm 45 also shoot great:), a xdm40 S&W would be a close second, only because it's a 40 instead of a 45, but 40 is also a great cal. shoots great and has a higher magazine cap.:yesway:

Jmtbug21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Johnson County
    Springfield G.I. 1911A1. I bought it five years ago, over 3000 rounds without one hiccup. good price, good quality, great reliability. Can't ask for anymore, well, except for it not being made in Brazil.

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Well i finally took the plunge. Went last week an put me a springfield 1911 on layaway. just have to wait for the tax refund to get it out an bring her home

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Well i finally took the plunge. Went last week an put me a springfield 1911 on layaway. just have to wait for the tax refund to get it out an bring her home

Congrats on your purchase. You can't go wrong with the Springfield 1911. What model of 1911 did you get?

I would have suggested a Springfield or STI Spartan. If you were going the 1911 route. I would look into reloading.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Its called "loaded" really sweet pice. Got a pretty good deal on it from the reserch ive done on them, just love the classic look of the 1911's

hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Springfield G.I. 1911A1. I bought it five years ago, over 3000 rounds without one hiccup. good price, good quality, great reliability. Can't ask for anymore, well, except for it not being made in Brazil.

+1 Just baught a Springfield Ultra Compact yesterday and noticed it was made in Brazil. I was a tad pissed but I got over it.

But yea I've had a Taurus PT1911 stainless for a few yrs now and it functions flawlessly and they are really affordable nowadays. Full size 1911's are pretty bulky to conceal but it has never been an issue for me and my friends never notice when I carry it concealed.

XFCTR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Columbus
    I don't think I saw anybody mention this but I have been enjoying a Stoeger 8045F. Ya it's made in Turkey but it's made by a Beretta company and they look awesome. Basically a 45 ACP Beretta that's in the mid $400s. All I have to do now is figure out a way to carry it.

bigchis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    I initially started out with a taurus 24/7 pro. It was very accurate and felt good in my hand but I could not get used to the extremly long trigger pull. I wish I would have spent a little more time and tried other guns to know what I really wanted. I sold it and bought a para ordnance LDA. I loved the gun, it was amazingly accurate, trigger pull was awesome, but i felt bad shooting it because it was such a beautiful gun. I would go out and shoot it and always felt like I had to be way to careful so I didn't mess up the finish on it. I handled multiple guns and found that the sigs fit my hands the best. I shot a couple of them and absolutely loved how they shot. I purchased a sig p226 in 9mm. I found out that I liked shooting it better than my para so I traded in the para on a sig P220 in 45acp. So now I spent twice as much money buying multiple guns rather than finding what really worked for me and initially spending a little more than I plannced. So my advise, handle as many guns as you can, shoot as many as you can, find the gun that works best for you and then save up to buy it. You won't be sorry that you waited a little longer, even though it sounds so good to have one right now. just my :twocents:.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Good pick up on the Springfield Loaded, I have one and 2,000 rounds later it still chugs right along with those custom 1911 guns. It can be a bit picky on some ammo but hasn't ever choked on the standard factory stuff or my 230 grain FMJ hand loads. I added a Wilson Combat mag well which takes a bit of modification to the grips but other than that, just add ammo and shoot! The Springfield factory 7-round mags are good mags, I added some rubber base pads to them but in the end you'll want to add more and I'd recommend Wilson Combat 47D 8-round factory mags; they are expensive at $32-ish each but are some of the best mags out there for a 1911.

Post a pic of that beast when you get her home! Not the best picture but here is mine after a long day at the range.

MondayFeb15017.jpg

Top Bottom