• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Me an daughter had a good time. I felt stupid at doing the safety talk at first but then jedi fixed it with an old pro..sorry if i get the name wrong...Larry? He made things easier an even got my daughter Samantha doing it.
    Got to try skeet an was horribly terrible at it. Hit 1outa maybe 15 an that was with glasses off. Learned quit a bit about how to do it also. Thanks to those instructors. My daughter got the opportunity to shoot with Mike at his station, .thanks mike. I tried to get her to shoot the ak but she didnt want to wait for it.....
    Thanks for the event jedi, i actually leaned things i never really thought about and the food was good too. It's nice to be around friendly people that don't act like a know it all or treat you like crap because you don't know as much as they do.
    Thanks to all i talked to, sorry I'm terrible with names.....it's nice to belong to a group again since having to give up my 8th scale gas rc outlaw racing i did for many many years cause of my back and neck problems.....thanks again guys an gals....Toby
    what's with everyone calling me old?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I want to echo all of the kudo's for Jedi! His organization along with all who helped made Saturday a fantastic day for all who attended.

Everything was covered very well. I felt like a fifth wheel with all the stations being occupied and well run. The selection of weapons was impressive and the choices were many.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had three (3) pounds of bacon left over. Oh, whatever shall I do with that...?:scratch:

I was also happy that the weather cooperated well. It was a nice day with a little breeze that came through at the right times.

As I understand it from Hillary all of the trainers were excellent with Alina and very patient it helping her shoot and become comfortable with the weapons. That was very nice to hear.

I took some pictures but am having a hard time uploading them. My computin' machine is having issues. As soon as I get them uploaded I'll send them to Jedi for the collection.

Regards,

Doug

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Message from dnr

I would like to thank you, your INGO crew, and all the sponsors for making the Winamac Family Fun Shoot a very successful and safe event. I was very impressed with your crews emphasis and detail on safety.

As I suspected our initial count of participants was incorrect. We had 53 youth and 44 adult for a total of 97 participants. I think that breaks our previous record by about 25. There was a lot of happy faces on Saturday. The INGO group makes this event possible. Thanks for all the hard work and countless hours of preparation put into pulling off this event!!!!

As shooters, hunters, fisherman, trappers, and conservationists it is very important for us to recruit and introduce new people to shooting, hunting, and fishing related activities. As you know we have had to fight and will have to continue to fight to keep these privileges and rights for not only ourselves but future generations. The more people we can get to think like us the better. I personally talked to one of the participants that had many concerns about firearms and was just downright frightened to be around them. She might not have been at ease with firearms when she left the event but some of her concerns had waned. I have no doubt that many of the other participants left feeling more at ease and comfortable around firearms and now realize the shooting is a fun and safe activity.

Please pass this email along to all that made the Winamac Family Fun Shoot such a great success! I hope that you will be doing this again next year. Thanks again to all of you!!!!!

Tony

Tony Carroll, Property Manager
    Winamac Fish & Wildlife Area
    1493 W. 500 N.
    Winamac, IN 46996

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Ok, after thinking about it for a couple of days here are my thoughts:
    Water. Whatever we think we need, we need to double it.
    Kool-aide. Let's don't, it was more popular after the water was gone. before that, not so much.
    Canopies. I think we need at least three for the "public area" one for the kitchen, two for shade.
    I liked the shirts, even thought they were black.
    Maybe next year we can get the grass area (where Libertarian set up his canopy) roped off for volunteers only. That way we make sure all the volunteers get to eat and can have a separate menu for them.
    None of the above is meant to be a criticism, from what I saw the participants had a great time and the ranges were ran very well.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Another idea to consider would be to have a small .22/ cricket rifle for the little kids with short arms to be able to shoulder at the Safety Greeters table and a Welcome Shooters sign with the date for family/group pictures with their targets.

deucide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    rochester
    I was wondering if someone could tell me where the photos taken by the photographer that was at the event are going to be posted?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Another idea to consider would be to have a small .22/ cricket rifle for the little kids with short arms to be able to shoulder at the Safety Greeters table and a Welcome Shooters sign with the date for family/group pictures with their targets.
    I offered to bring one, but was told it was not needed.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

I offered to bring one, but was told it was not needed.
    There was a youth 10/22 at the Greeters table. All rifles had bipods or sandbags at the tables so there was no need for a kid to have to be able to hold up a rifle. As far as I know we weren't having kids holding up rifles for safety concerns. Am I missing some thing?

We had two youth models 10/22, one adjustable stock 10/22 and four M&P 15/22's with adjustable stock, all with threaded barrels. So it was not needed.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    There was a youth 10/22 at the Greeters table. All rifles had bipods or sandbags at the tables so there was no need for a kid to have to be able to hold up a rifle. As far as I know we weren't having kids holding up rifles for safety concerns. Am I missing some thing?

We had two youth models 10/22, one adjustable stock 10/22 and four M&P 15/22's with adjustable stock, all with threaded barrels. So it was not needed.
    Just my :twocents: worth.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI

I was going to get my gf grandfather's ar7 but forgot. Didnt say anything before cause every time i do, something goes wrong just like the 22conversion for the daughters ar15...

Oh, didnt mean to say you were old....just wise at doing something with more experience....

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    There are several issues with food "only" for volunteers and DNR staff. Note - I do NOT disagree with this idea, but I do see some problems with it.

Jack and I were talking about making it next year, although Hillary wants to do it in NE Indiana so the drive isn't as far. (She had a lot of fun and wants to do it again.) We were discussing doing BBQ ribs and something else for all the volunteers and DNR folks. However, after talking about it I don't think this would work in any way, just like our bacon cheeseburgers were allegedly only for INGO volunteers and DNR staff. ANY food the public sees they will want! If they can't have it they will get pissy. I don't necessarily blame them, especially if their kids see something they want but cannot have.

The only way I can see a separate menu for INGO volunteers and DNR staff is to have them eat AFTER the shoot and all else is put away. That way most of the public is gone, those few who remain can see that the public food is gone, and it would be only us having bacon cheeseburgers or BBQ ribs or whatever. But as I see it if any food is served while the public is being served they will expect access. I am glad we brought plenty and didn't run out until the very end, and even then we had some food left. I repeat, I am not against a separate menu, I just see logistics problems with trying to enforce it and avoid disappointing them.

As I was mowing today it occurred to me the one massive thing we were missing that we should have had in droves - a HUGE media presence!!! There should have been several TV crews there along with whatever newspaper and/or radio journalists could be invited! We missed a GOLDEN opportunity to show the positive side of firearms ownership to thousands of readers and viewers. The staff running the ranges were outstanding and all would have made a helluva great face to the public. The public needs to see that guns aren't just used in mass shootings but also used for recreation, enjoyment and the building of positive character traits. This cannot happen unless we do big press releases.

Another thing I saw was a lot of white folks. I'm white, so sometimes it takes awhile for this little nugget to sink in with me. However, an improved outreach to the black and Hispanic community could do wonders for our cause, especially among Hispanics who may be bringing with them stereotypes of firearms that should be corrected - like only the police or government can have them. A direct outreach to these minority communities would show that gun owners aren't a bunch of racist bigots as we are often portrayed in the media.

Finally, I was thinking a nice handout of firearms rights and history in Indiana might be in order. Something to give folks information and talking points should they themselves ever be in a debate. Kirk always points out that Indiana had universal background checks for a time and it was abandoned for logical reasons. I didn't know that until I came on here. I am thinking of stuff like this, with the INGO website and information on it as well. I had Hillary sign me in so if this was at the table I have already been beaten to the punch. Mea culpa if necessary.

Anyway, just some more afterthoughts.

In Liberty,

Doug

PS - I LIKED the kool - aide! I had several glasses.

Top Bottom