• 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Oh no Doug's drinking the kool aide.

Being that when the event ends at noonish and is reopened to the public we would have to move camp in order to do a DNR/INGO lunch. I would be down for so BBQ ribs and the fixins.

As for media if someone had connections and could get a crew out it may have the effect next year that we have 100's of kids and the DNR may not want to close the range all day for our event.

As for a diverse group of shooters I had a Hispanic family come to the 50yd and they enjoyed themselves very much. We would probably have to go through word of mouth that we are open to all black, white,brown, yellow, purple, blue, gay, straight, whatever. That if anyone has prejudices they can put them aside to help teach new shooters/learn, and maybe walk away with a new point of view.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I believe that media would be the purview of the DNR, it is after all their event. As far as minorities go, we can only do what we can do. I know that I spread the word as far as I could, but when it comes down to it many people are not comfortable with the idea of driving faaaarrrrr for something like this, even if it is free.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Oh no Doug's drinking the kool aide.

Being that when the event ends at noonish and is reopened to the public we would have to move camp in order to do a DNR/INGO lunch. I would be down for so BBQ ribs and the fixins.

As for media if someone had connections and could get a crew out it may have the effect next year that we have 100's of kids and the DNR may not want to close the range all day for our event.

As for a diverse group of shooters I had a Hispanic family come to the 50yd and they enjoyed themselves very much. We would probably have to go through word of mouth that we are open to all black, white,brown, yellow, purple, blue, gay, straight, whatever. That if anyone has prejudices they can put them aside to help teach new shooters/learn, and maybe walk away with a new point of view.

I believe that media would be the purview of the DNR, it is after all their event. As far as minorities go, we can only do what we can do. I know that I spread the word as far as I could, but when it comes down to it many people are not comfortable with the idea of driving faaaarrrrr for something like this, even if it is free.

Ok, technical question here: Is it the DNR's event that we are only helping with, is it an INGO event that the DNR is helping with, or is it a partnership between the two? If it is ONLY a DNR event then I would agree the media is up to them. However, either other way and I would feel it fair that we could go directly to the media, while discussing with them first naturally. So WHO's event is it?

I also agree the prior media exposure could bring 100's of kids. I think that would be both horrible AND wonderful at the same time. Logistics would need to be worked out first in that case. Discussions would be needed with the DNR on exactly how long to close the range then. I think if they knew ahead of time there would be 100's of kids they would be open to working something out, but that would be a discussion.

As far as media involvement I am more interested in what occurs after the event! I think it would be cool to see all the kids on TV having fun, shooting responsibly, and learning gun safety without dozens of bodies attached to a shooting event. This is what the general public so needs to see instead of the standard shooting = carnage that is normally aired.

As far as outreach there is only so much you can do, I agree. With the black community getting with the churches with flyers would work. With the Hispanic community there is usually a Hispanic community organization or two that could be approached. It would take more footwork but may well pay off with a more diverse crowd, and far greater outreach. I don't know.

Regards,

Doug

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In

Ok, technical question here: Is it the DNR's event that we are only helping with, is it an INGO event that the DNR is helping with, or is it a partnership between the two? If it is ONLY a DNR event then I would agree the media is up to them. However, either other way and I would feel it fair that we could go directly to the media, while discussing with them first naturally. So WHO's event is it?

I also agree the prior media exposure could bring 100's of kids. I think that would be both horrible AND wonderful at the same time. Logistics would need to be worked out first in that case. Discussions would be needed with the DNR on exactly how long to close the range then. I think if they knew ahead of time there would be 100's of kids they would be open to working something out, but that would be a discussion.

As far as media involvement I am more interested in what occurs after the event! I think it would be cool to see all the kids on TV having fun, shooting responsibly, and learning gun safety without dozens of bodies attached to a shooting event. This is what the general public so needs to see instead of the standard shooting = carnage that is normally aired.

As far as outreach there is only so much you can do, I agree. With the black community getting with the churches with flyers would work. With the Hispanic community there is usually a Hispanic community organization or two that could be approached. It would take more footwork but may well pay off with a more diverse crowd, and far greater outreach. I don't know.

Regards,

Doug
    Need some more potato salad and baked beans to think about this. :@ya:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The event is OFFICIALLY a DNR WINAMAC event and thus why each of you had to fill out a volunteer form to the STATE OF INDIANA DNR. However DNR Winamac CAN NOT do it with out NWI INGO. :) They originally came to us to see if we were interested in doing a kids event. We supply the manpower and they the range. Internally (NWI INGO) was going to suggest to them the same thing 3 years ago as we felt comfortable that we could pull such an event off. When I finally met the DNR WINAMAC manager he beat me to the topic of doing a youth day. :)

The local 4H chapter also helps as they handle the crossbow and bow & arrow area.

Now with that being said in the past 3 events DNR has been more then wiling to listen to what we suggest and how to do the event. They could in theory close the range down for the entire day if they wanted to. They do have the power to do that since it is a STATE EVENT. We have never looked into this since 4hrs (so far) has felt just about right for the level of attendance.

As for more non-whites that will be a hard one. Winamac is far from lake county (1.5 hr drive) where the majority of blacks/latinos live. Even with word of mouth its an area of Indiana that is not know to them. Many of us are willing to drive 1.5hr into IL north of Chicago before we venture south into Indiana. Apart from getting a school bus and bring the masses I'm not sure we will ever see them at WINAMAC.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Anyone know how to get hold of MrObnoxious?
    I still have his grill from the Winimac Family shoot.
    Left him a PM this morning, but he hasn't been on since then.
    I wonder if he forgot I have it.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Found out a couple of weeks ago at work someone who is in a scrapbook group had a picture of me at this year's Winamac DNR Youth day.

Top Bottom