Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Oh my, that’s lovely! You got it for a heck of a price too! The mold will give you some insight on how to load it. A friend down in Alabama went through a lot of work last year to find a load that properly regulated in a .500 BPE. With yours having a bullet mold with it, that will cut Out a big part of the question. You may get lucky and find a charge engraved on the barrels or water tables. It will be up to you to experiment with different grades of BP, compression, wads, lube cookies, etc to get both barrels to hit ot the sights at a certain range.
    .50/90 brass is hard to find, but should be available eventually. I’ve been looking for more .50/70 brass to feed a couple of rifles, but starline is busy making other calibers…. You can probably find some ‘now’ but you’ll pay for it!
    please please please document your loading journey here, I’d love to see it happen!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I'd been looking for a double rifle for a while, didn't really think I'd win this auction but there you have it. Now I'm just waiting on shipping. It's a piece of artwork that will be a great addition to the collection...even if I can't shoot it right away.

Next up a bison hunt. :cool:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    On another note it really seems that bidding has been impacted by bidenomics. There are many weapons on this auction that went for much less than I thought they would. I would have bid on more if I thought they were going to sell for that little. But then again there would go my budget :runaway:

The last time I did that on an auction I started hoping I wouldn't win on my bids...came home with 7 pistols, 3 shotguns and a rifle that was not close to what I had bid on. While I'm pleased with what I got I also learned a lesson. The possible end total would have been a bit much.

Last edited:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    On another note it really seems that bidding has been impacted by bidenomics. There are many weapons on this auction that went for much less than I thought they would. I would have bid on more if I thought they were going to sell for that little. But then again there would go my budget :runaway:

The last time I did that on an auction I started hoping I wouldn't win on my bids...came home with 7 pistols, 3 shotguns and a rifle that was not close to what I had bid on. While I'm pleased with what I got I also learned a lesson. The possible end total would have been a bit much.
    I sent your link to the buddy who has the 500 BPE. He sad there we’re several he saw that went for about 1/3 of their ‘normal‘ value.

it’s a pretty big chunk of change but I would have bought yours in a heartbeat for that price! I’d love to have something like that especially for that kind of money. And I love a good challenge of loading for something like that.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I know your rifle comes with a mold and I’ll be interested to hear what weight and design it is, but I wanted to share this one.

I’m thinking of policing one up to shoot through my little .50/45 rolling block. The original bullet for it was around 350, it I remember right. My only .515 mold is the Lee that drops about a 450. It shoots decently in the carbine as well as my .50-70 trapdoor, but it would be fun to try a lighter weight bullet. If I get it, you’re welcome to a big handful of them to try out.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I know your rifle comes with a mold and I’ll be interested to hear what weight and design it is, but I wanted to share this one.

I’m thinking of policing one up to shoot through my little .50/45 rolling block. The original bullet for it was around 350, it I remember right. My only .515 mold is the Lee that drops about a 450. It shoots decently in the carbine as well as my .50-70 trapdoor, but it would be fun to try a lighter weight bullet. If I get it, you’re welcome to a big handful of them to try out.
    Pretty bullets! And thanks for the offer :ingo::rockwoot:

I understand the .50-90 is the same case as the .50-100 and .50-110 with the difference being bullet weight and powder to fill the case.

:buddies:Cheers

Thor

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Quick update. It got delivered yesterday.
    First impressions:

It seems far more svelte then I would have expected; it is roughly the same size and shape as my 28 gauge SxS...especially for a rifle throwing (according to the bullet molds) either a 500 or 465 grain bullet (both are supplied).

The condition is better than what was pictured; a quick wipe with a remoil rag and the blueing looks good with only a couple of storage marks on the barrels, not as bright towards the breech probably from carrying (the forearm is "dainty" roughly half the size of any of my SxS shotguns). The barrels inside are bright, shiny even with crisp and sharp rifling throughout.

The flip up peep sight is a neat and cleverly hidden feature, nicely integrated into the engraving.

As to engraving...most everything is; the left with a doe and a fox the right with a stag and an elk. Very nice...something I'd expect in a museum or a gun rack in a European hunting lodge.

The stock has a couple of small dings but the finish is nice and the checkering is sharp...does not look like it was carried much in its long life.

The bullet mold is a scissors type with the two loads noted above.

A quick heft says it weighs about the same as a 12 gauge SxS. I'm going to suppose that the ease of carry will be accompanied by a significant recoil :cool: which may indicate why it was not carried or shot much.

Now if I can find some ammunition or brass I'll be ready to accompany Patterson or Corbett on a dangerous game stalk :fogey:
    ;)

Mandatory pics will follow when I can get to them.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    When you cast for it use unhardened lead for the best results. 20-1 or 40-1 lead/tin makes for the best bullets in old BP guns. SPG lube, if you don't have it already is another thing to get. You might try the Cast Boolits web sight for brass, over the years I've picked up a lot of info and hard to find parts to obsolete calibers there.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    When you cast for it use unhardened lead for the best results. 20-1 or 40-1 lead/tin makes for the best bullets in old BP guns. SPG lube, if you don't have it already is another thing to get. You might try the Cast Boolits web sight for brass, over the years I've picked up a lot of info and hard to find parts to obsolete calibers there.
    Thanks...but a search on CB yielded zero results on .50-90...which I found very surprising. Maybe I did it wrong but I don't think so. If you add Sharps you get a lot of results but not for .50-90. :tantrum:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Thanks...but a search on CB yielded zero results on .50-90...which I found very surprising. Maybe I did it wrong but I don't think so. If you add Sharps you get a lot of results but not for .50-90. :tantrum:

That's unfortunate, I usually have good luck there.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Don't search there, put up a post with what you are looking for. Castboolits has a few thousand holders that read and post daily.
    Leadeye pointed you in the direction I also suggest you go.
    There are only three or 5 members here that load BPCR's.

Top Bottom