50 post minimum or buy into classifieds?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is your opinion on the privilege of classifieds access?

• Total voters

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I prefer 50 posts but offering the same result for $15 is a great way to help cut down the cost if running a website like this.

Have you ever run a forum? The costs are not as much as you might think unless people have made this their only job and are paying themselves a salary. This forum is making money.

And yes, I have made and run a forum. But it only had two members, me and my mother.

I'll go with 100 Quality posts.

Why not 200?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Have you ever run a forum? The costs are not as much as you might think unless people have made this their only job and are paying themselves a salary. This forum is making money.

Of course it's making money, but so what? Nobody is being forced to pay to use the site, and the site does cost money to run. Should Fenway not try to make what profit he may from his idea? Over my five years as a part of INGO, I have heard people complain about Fenway making money so often that it's actually become a joke. The "INGO Bugatti" is even in his sigline.

If you don't want to donate to the site, then don't. If you don't want to post, then don't. But if you're just here to use the Classifieds and not contribute in any other way, then I politely suggest that you find somewhere else to go. There are lots of Classifieds sites out there.

Mackey, I know you are not complaining, so these comments are not directed at you even though you were the one I quoted. They are directed at the people who espouse capitalism and free market until INGO comes into the picture and then suddenly everything should be a charity and we should all be living in a Communist Utopia where everybody only has just enough to meet their needs and not a dollar more.

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    I have been here now for five years and I'm still trying to figure out what constitutes a quality post. :dunno:

I choose to pay for a site supporter once a year because it's the least I can do for Fenway who provides a forum that offers a wealth of knowledge for Indiana gun owners.

redgreenrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Decatur county
    I believe the answer is in the 3rd post subsection of the Official INGO FAQ directory listing under FAQ and INGO.
    There might be a reference under sub paragraph 5 of the Terms of Service
    sections relating to but not limited to the FAQ's as set forth previously.
    If you click the link in subsection 7a it should take you directly to the notice
    of terms highlighting the bacon and addendum poll re: bacon option.
    Do NOT click on 7b as that will take you to the remove bacon option thereby violating
    the terms of service you previously agreed to in the INGO FAQ subsection post #4 requirements page.
    :dunno::bacondance::bacondance::bacondance: :evilangel: :runaway:
    I'm starting to think you're just screwing with my head and making me hungry for a BLT!

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    I like the 50 post rule. Posting requires effort, paying a fee is easy.

^^^^This

I would come and go for a year before I got my 50 posts but it is super easy. After I got my first 100 post I decided to sell something and the more I participated here I realized I love it here.

That's why I am a Site Supporter

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    :dunno::bacondance::bacondance::bacondance: :evilangel: :runaway:
    I'm starting to think you're just screwing with my head and making me hungry for a BLT!

Now you are getting it. The big clue is the title just below printcraft's name. Oh and that is another perk of being a site supporter...

There are some newbies who "get it" and have no problem with putting in some time to become part of the community before they get into the classified. However, there are an amazing number that accept the terms and then immediately try to violate them.

If you have some time to waste, you might want to browse the "I'm new and your 50-post rule sucks! Please change it for my convenience" thread to see plenty of examples of this problem. Most of the members really value this site and tend to be pretty protective, which is why you will see some interesting reactions to the newbies complaints.

redgreenrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Decatur county
    I believe the answer is in the 3rd post subsection of the Official INGO FAQ directory listing under FAQ and INGO.
    There might be a reference under sub paragraph 5 of the Terms of Service
    sections relating to but not limited to the FAQ's as set forth previously.
    If you click the link in subsection 7a it should take you directly to the notice
    of terms highlighting the bacon and addendum poll re: bacon option.
    Do NOT click on 7b as that will take you to the remove bacon option thereby violating
    the terms of service you previously agreed to in the INGO FAQ subsection post #4 requirements page.

Touché ;)

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I don't really care either way, but I'm not sending money to someone with 5 posts and a site supporter tag under their name if I don't receive the goods first. I'll do a FTF, but I'll only pay up front to members with a bunch of posts that have been around for awhile.

HCRMPD1

Marksman
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Shelbyville
    I like the 50 post rule.

People who have to earn a certain position are more likely to respect it than a person who can pay for the same position.

My two cents.

jeeper038

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Not to hijack the thread but what does everyone think about people who have been members of this forum for over 5 years but do not have the 50 posts (a guy I know). Would you deal with them?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    And then there's the other option: site supporter and well over 50 posts and you still get the heebie jeebies when you talk to him on the phone to answer his questions in more detail.

Neither post count nor willingness to part with money (except what is necessary to convince me to part with my firearm) are indicators of anything for me. They're rules to access the classifieds. Nothing more.

redgreenrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Decatur county
    I think I'm starting to see the light! We're like one big happily disfunctional family sitting around a table chewing on various pork products. And if you like your bacon crunchy you best help cook it! So stop arguing with your brother and eat up! :D

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Having been on many car forums over the years, I find it strange to have this rule... but the forum owner can obviously make any rule he wants to make.

In the end, if it's a $200 item you'll be more cautious when dealing with a potential buyer than you would with a $20 item. No matter who it is - a person with 50 posts or 5000 posts, or a person who joined last month vs. one who's been here 5 years - it's all about "buyer beware" and making sure to protect yourself.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I think I'm starting to see the light! We're like one big happily disfunctional family sitting around a table chewing on various pork products. And if you like your bacon crunchy you best help cook it! So stop arguing with your brother and eat up! :D

You're pretty smart for a noob.

By the way, the new kids have to cook the bacon until they reach their 50 posts. I like my bacon crunchy please. ;)

Top Bottom