• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Guys after my first shoots at 50 yards and having some time to think about it. I'm really thinking an optical sight is necessary for accurately shooting a pistol at 50 yards with my old eyes. I believe that would cut down a lot on missing and give me a quicker more accurate shots at long distances. Maybe a micro red dot with 3 moa dot is what I'm thinking.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    This should be incorported in a match like carry gun match by Coach, not just static shooting with 1 or 2 targets like a bulleye shooting. Knowing where your POA and POI on your carry gun helps.

Planning on it. Dont have 50 yards indoors

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    No matter the distance trigger control is more important than sight alignment.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Guys after my first shoots at 50 yards and having some time to think about it. I'm really thinking an optical sight is necessary for accurately shooting a pistol at 50 yards with my old eyes. I believe that would cut down a lot on missing and give me a quicker more accurate shots at long distances. Maybe a micro red dot with 3 moa dot is what I'm thinking.

May I ask what you are shooting.

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    bwframe ask a great question in his thread. Can you successful engage a bad guy at 50 yards?

That got me thinking. I'm going to try just that and post my 1st target I shoot at. And will post as I practice and hopefully progress to get better.

I would love any criticism that would be helpful to improve.

While I'm at it I would love for you guys who want to do this post your targets from 50 yards with your ccw weapon or weapons.

I'm going to try and start tomorrow fingers crossed. :draw:

Can you, yes. Should you? It depends on the totality of the circumstances.
    Either way, training from longer distances will only help your shooting. I have taken our officers back to 100 yards with their duty handguns many times. It takes a little bit to get used to, but once they do it really improves their confidence and shooting at shorter distances.

Here's a video of me shooting a stock Glock22 at 100 yards:
    https://www.facebook.com/selfpreservationtraining/videos/1595551034073788/

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Can you, yes. Should you? It depends on the totality of the circumstances.
    Either way, training from longer distances will only help your shooting. I have taken our officers back to 100 yards with their duty handguns many times. It takes a little bit to get used to, but once they do it really improves their confidence and shooting at shorter distances.

Here's a video of me shooting a stock Glock22 at 100 yards:
    https://www.facebook.com/selfpreservationtraining/videos/1595551034073788/

This is true. After 50 yard shooting I noticed a vast improvement on my accuracy at 25 yards and in. I even set a personal best of 98/100 on The Test.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    No matter the distance trigger control is more important than sight alignment.

I disagree.

Either one has an equal ability to produce uncentered hits.

Trigger control is typically considered a lifelong pursuit, I grant you that, but I've missed due to sights before too, and I don't have a lot of trigger control issues. Some, sure. It can never be good enough.

That's true at 1,000 yards same as it is a 7 feet, and is true with a 40x scope, same as it is using your CCW pistol's slide as the sight.

At least, it is for me.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I disagree.

Either one has an equal ability to produce uncentered hits.

Trigger control is typically considered a lifelong pursuit, I grant you that, but I've missed due to sights before too, and I don't have a lot of trigger control issues. Some, sure. It can never be good enough.

That's true at 1,000 yards same as it is a 7 feet, and is true with a 40x scope, same as it is using your CCW pistol's slide as the sight.

At least, it is for me.

I think what they’re saying is that if you have poor trigger control your sight alignment, no matter how perfect, is irrelevant.

Conversely, I could have imperfect sight alignment with great trigger control and still get a solid hit.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    One must remember our equipment. Some CCW guns are built with an industry standard of if it groups 4 inches at 7 yrds it is shipped. You will have to check with the manufacture of your specific firearm if they will tell you. Once you have determined the repeatable accuracy of your pistol then you can start practicing. If you have an accurate firearm many things go into the well placed shot including breathing grip ,sight alignment,trigger control and follow through, not to mention quality ammunition. Then there’s the physical ability tremors vision and so forth. I love long range pistol shooting and wish there were more of it in some of the matches.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The greater the distances involved the more your trigger discipline comes into play. If you shoot lower left from pushing the trigger at 21ft do the math on that same discipline out to 50.

Top Bottom