• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I'm a little late but as an Indiana municiple LEO back in the day we were required to qualify on a 60 round course with 12 rounds at 50 yarda. A 50 yard target is not that much of an issue if one had decent skills. The ones with issues at 50 had issues at 25.

And that was a state standard, then around 1998 (ish) they did away with the 50 yard portion and went to a 48 round course

Ad far as a 50 yard shot for a CCW or private citizen scenerio make your own case.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Wow, I have a "Sundance" a little .25auto. Probably paid $20, from a co-worker who needed money close to 20 years ago. Haven't shot it for years but remember it would only run with WWB ammo. Can't remember anything about accuracy but will try to take it out and check it. Jim.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This should be incorported in a match like carry gun match by Coach, not just static shooting with 1 or 2 targets like a bulleye shooting. Knowing where your POA and POI on your carry gun helps.

This is one area that makes sticking with a single gun/platform useful. Sure, I might be able to ping steel about the same when shooting a Glock 30, 23 or 19 at 10 yards but they would each have very different hold overs at 50.

I am notorious for not being able to stick with a single platform.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Sure, I might be able to ping steel about the same when shooting a Glock 30, 23 or 19 at 10 yards but they would each have very different hold overs at 50.

No, not really. At least, not from a ballistic perspective.

And most of the standard pistol rounds follow .22 LR drop reasonably well for "combat" accuracy requirements. Bullseye = notsomuch, but we aren't talking +/- 1" accuracy, and these ain't no Sig 210.

But anything that says "super", "magnum", "major", "maximum", or similar in the title of the round is unlikely to drop all that much 0-100. At least .357 full power loads sure don't.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    No, not really. At least, not from a ballistic perspective.

And most of the standard pistol rounds follow .22 LR drop reasonably well for "combat" accuracy requirements. Bullseye = notsomuch, but we aren't talking +/- 1" accuracy, and these ain't no Sig 210.

But anything that says "super", "magnum", "major", "maximum", or similar in the title of the round is unlikely to drop all that much 0-100. At least .357 full power loads sure don't.

I agree with your holdover statement. I found that the .45 ACP has a nearly identical drop rate to the .22 LR when fired from handguns. The screenshot below is from a video I posted many years ago showing some 100-yard shooting with a GSG-1911 handgun in .22 LR and I throw in a single .45 ACP round for good measure. With the same POA, it shows how similar the drop rates are. (The larger torn hole is obviously the .45)

IX0TO7nl.jpg

https://youtu.be/MRJE87Gd86M

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    With my 6.5" barrel 44 magnum 50 yard shots are pretty easy. It's just to big and bulky for an EDC or CCW. My 9mm 4" barrel I'm having more problems hitting at 50 yards. I've got to learn how to shoot it at that distance. I usually only practice max 15 yards and do well. 25 yards I have to actually aim and not go by the front sight only. 50 yards the sight covers my 12x16 target. I have fixed sights on my 9mm. How do I go about accurately shooting at 50 yards without guessing since my target is covered by my front sight?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree with your holdover statement. I found that the .45 ACP has a nearly identical drop rate to the .22 LR when fired from handguns. The screenshot below is from a video I posted many years ago showing some 100-yard shooting with a GSG-1911 handgun in .22 LR and I throw in a single .45 ACP round for good measure. With the same POA, it shows how similar the drop rates are. (The larger torn hole is obviously the .45)

IX0TO7nl.jpg

https://youtu.be/MRJE87Gd86M

It would appear the .45 was tumbling at that distance. We have found that box target loads will show their inconsistency's at 50 yds +.
    Using a properly put together reload will show your guns inconsistency's or possibly the shooter's.
    I watched Chezuki run 95% solid hits on steel at 100 with his short barreled M&P I believe. The misses were poop rounds falling short right in front of the steel. Solid stance/grip/trigger discipline. These issue will all manifest from 25 out.

Top Bottom