• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    I have been building “budget” AR15’s for years. Never had an issue with them wearing out even after 1000s of rounds.
    Never had any major malfunctions and all have been in the range of “hunting” or “plinking” accuracy.
    I recently bought a used Radical Arms AR for a steal because I figured if there was anything wrong and it I’d be able to fix it for way less than a new one, and it was clean, like never fired clean. The trigger was less than desirable so I dropped in a Rise Armament I had around. The B5 Bravo stock rattled a bit (nice stock tho) so I slapped on a Magpul CTR since locks into place. I took it to and shot it next to my friends Knights Armament. The Radical Performed. No malfunctions, new trigger was crisp.
    Accuracy was equivalent to how I was shooting, paper dessert plate at 100 yds.
    The Knights was right there as well.
    After several hundred rounds the Radical losened up. Controls easier to use, etc. After a 1000 Rounds of mismatched ammo, it continued to march on with only hiccups were failure to feed but once I removed the old aluminum magazine from the group, no issues. Magazine looks to be bent at the lip.
    Now I’m not saying this thing is better than the Knights. If I could afford one…Fit and finish on the Knights is superior even after 10 years.
    Knight can with all the bells as whistles, nicer flash suppressor, iron sights etc.
    But right now I am sitting $425 with my Radical with the addition of the the trigger and it performs.
    This Radical Arms left my friend questioning life, and is now considering getting one because it Knights is currently a range toy as well.
    Please keep in mind, I’m not knocking high end guns or those who can afford them. All I’m saying is I’m happy with my little whim purchase and would recommend it to any one. Now to buy another trigger that I used so I can finish my .350 Legend build.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I'm with you. I tend to not like spending the funds for the top tier stuff. I don't shoot competitively and I don't think the top tier stuff is worth 3-4x more than lower end stuff.
    I have had some issues with lower tier stuff. I couldn't get a radical to function at all with some 300bo ammo, and wound up selling. I didn't have the time and couldn't find the ammo to get it working (this was peak covid hysteria).
    I also had a bad barrel from BCA (wound up getting a refund without proving purchase).
    But I have a handful of Anderson, Aero, PSA stuff that has all worked fine every time. For a truck gun or a gun mounted in my closet that will see action maybe 1-2x a year, I just can't spend the big money.
    Since I'm not planning on going to war anytime soon, as long as it works I'm good with it.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Every manufacturer can turn out a turd now and then. The extra money typically reduces those chances.
    Sometimes you can get lucky and the issues are minimal or non-critical. Sometimes not...

Personally, unless most of those ducats are going toward extra features (ambi controls, forged components, BCG coatings, precision tolerances, lifetime warranty), I don't see the cost-benefit ratio. There are excellent parts out there at very affordable prices (Larue's MBT2S trigger for example), as well as retail discounts if you're looking for them.

With that said, I don't think I'd own only one $500 AR. I'd want at least two, probably three.
    Because at the end of the day, it's not the arrow that makes the difference.

bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    Every manufacturer can turn out a turd now and then. The extra money typically reduces those chances.
    Sometimes you can get lucky and the issues are minimal or non-critical. Sometimes not...

Personally, unless most of those ducats are going toward extra features (ambi controls, forged components, BCG coatings, precision tolerances, lifetime warranty), I don't see the cost-benefit ratio. There are excellent parts out there at very affordable prices (Larue's MBT2S trigger for example), as well as retail discounts if you're looking for them.

With that said, I don't think I'd own only one $500 AR. I'd want at least two, probably three.
    Because at the end of the day, it's not the arrow that makes the difference.
    I agree, that a turd is possible. And I too, for the price, would rather own several for the cost of one (if they functioned) Some companies get a bad rap, but I’ve never had a problem with PSA and I’d buy another. I know it’s not a “combat” quality gun, but I’m not in combat and if the SHTF I’d rather have a PSA then an envelope full of money saving up for a gun 4x the price! For some reason I despise the Anderson Logo which is the only reason I don’t have one! That horse drives me crazy. LOL

ibwaltb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Fishers
    I’d like to take this moment and just reflect how fortunate we are to have the option to buy $350-$450 bare-bones ARs right now. Amazing! Thank you PSA.
    Low cost ARs provide a great platform to experiment with such as the trigger and controls, BCGs, barrel to upper fitment, lower to upper fitment, etc without modifying higher prices factory firearms and see what works and what doesn’t firsthand.
    Saying all that, the more I shoot the more I realize how I wish I’d bought fewer guns (especially my AR builds…it’s an addiction) and more ammo to shoot/practice.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I have traditionally been a cheap AR guy. Due to a fortunate series of events I now have an expensive one also. I've only run it once so far but it seems to perform just like any other AR I've ever had. Time will tell but it's the only one I'll be taking to competition.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've been thinking about a 300blk out. I might give Radical my business. If it doesn't work I can send it in until they get it working for the price it looks like a good deal.

I've found building your own turns into a money pit.

macolesby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2022
    Terre Haute
    I have three different lists here that I’ve used, too and complete one is a 17 design billet lower outfitted with the following

CMC flat 2.5 pound trigger,

Midwest industries 11.5 inch lightweight handguard.

Hogue collapsible stock,

Magpul grip,

Yankee bill phantom brake

Crimson trace light

Wilson 16 inch barrel.

Lantac nickel boron carrier

Aimpoint magdot 5000.

All together I’m this build for about $3600 worth of parts, most of it being in the optic. The middle lower is an Anderson which was the first build I did when my father taught me how to build AR’s so it has more continental value but it’s still a fun range toy

The lower is a current project that I have about $500 into on a spikes lower.

Is one of them better than the other? Not really. They are All in spec and all work for range toys. But I likely won’t use my Anderson lower as a competition gun, nor would I sell it or get rid of it just because it’s a cheap parts. In the end you can end up putting tons of money into your AR but if it just sits in the safe regardless if it’s a $3500 or $500 the price doesn’t really matter.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    For most of the people out there, a $500 AR is a fine rifle, I am not one of those people, I shoot competitively....a premium barrel, that will last 8000 to 10,000 rounds is a must. A free float hand gaurd, a match trigger , easy to service, makes weight even after 3000 or 4000 rounds, a fully adjustable butt stock (the one on my match rifle cost the same or more then a budget AR) , i expect my rifle to be able to hold a 1½ MOA group at 600 yards,constantly (the rifle will shoot smaller groups, but as a sling shooter,, I can't hold the group smaller.....these are things that you won't get with a budget AR.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I have three different lists here that I’ve used, too and complete one is a 17 design billet lower outfitted with the following

CMC flat 2.5 pound trigger,

Midwest industries 11.5 inch lightweight handguard.

Hogue collapsible stock,

Magpul grip,

Yankee bill phantom brake

Crimson trace light

Wilson 16 inch barrel.

Lantac nickel boron carrier

Aimpoint magdot 5000.

All together I’m this build for about $3600 worth of parts, most of it being in the optic. The middle lower is an Anderson which was the first build I did when my father taught me how to build AR’s so it has more continental value but it’s still a fun range toy

The lower is a current project that I have about $500 into on a spikes lower.

Is one of them better than the other? Not really. They are All in spec and all work for range toys. But I likely won’t use my Anderson lower as a competition gun, nor would I sell it or get rid of it just because it’s a cheap parts. In the end you can end up putting tons of money into your AR but if it just sits in the safe regardless if it’s a $3500 or $500 the price doesn’t really matter.
    $3600 ....... amateur.....lol.....build a match rifle......lol....

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I have been building “budget” AR15’s for years. Never had an issue with them wearing out even after 1000s of rounds.
    Never had any major malfunctions and all have been in the range of “hunting” or “plinking” accuracy.
    I recently bought a used Radical Arms AR for a steal because I figured if there was anything wrong and it I’d be able to fix it for way less than a new one, and it was clean, like never fired clean. The trigger was less than desirable so I dropped in a Rise Armament I had around. The B5 Bravo stock rattled a bit (nice stock tho) so I slapped on a Magpul CTR since locks into place. I took it to and shot it next to my friends Knights Armament. The Radical Performed. No malfunctions, new trigger was crisp.
    Accuracy was equivalent to how I was shooting, paper dessert plate at 100 yds.
    The Knights was right there as well.
    After several hundred rounds the Radical losened up. Controls easier to use, etc. After a 1000 Rounds of mismatched ammo, it continued to march on with only hiccups were failure to feed but once I removed the old aluminum magazine from the group, no issues. Magazine looks to be bent at the lip.
    Now I’m not saying this thing is better than the Knights. If I could afford one…Fit and finish on the Knights is superior even after 10 years.
    Knight can with all the bells as whistles, nicer flash suppressor, iron sights etc.
    But right now I am sitting $425 with my Radical with the addition of the the trigger and it performs.
    This Radical Arms left my friend questioning life, and is now considering getting one because it Knights is currently a range toy as well.
    Please keep in mind, I’m not knocking high end guns or those who can afford them. All I’m saying is I’m happy with my little whim purchase and would recommend it to any one. Now to buy another trigger that I used so I can finish my .350 Legend build.
    These 2 guns were built with totally different ideas in mind as their target market.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I try not to judge people by whatever gun they buy, but an AR-15 is a tool that can be used for many different things. I've bought more AR-15's from cheapo's to expensive than I can remember and generally speaking you do get what you pay for.

Your average guy who owns an AR-15 usually just wants to be able to say that he's got one too. The average guy doesn't shoot it regularly and if they do it's a couple boxes a year with a half arsed attempt to zero the rifle. He's happy if the gun goes bang and he shoots a pumpkin in the backyard once every year or every couple of years.

Your competitive shooter is looking for a precision build with a crisp trigger. I've got a White Oak Armament SPR upper on a psa lower that has a geiselle SSA trigger in it. There's an investment in that gun, but it's been carried & rucked with for miles at competitions before being used to shoot at distance.

Your duty use guy would be well served to watch the iraqveteran8888 meltdown videos on youtube because they see what AR uppers fail at. PSA may make uppers with an FN barrel, but the gas tube is still a cheapo and the gas blocks come loose. If you're going to do outdoors tactical training classes you're going to want something that's built with hard use in mind.

I started with a 20" A2 Colt that I bought to train with before basic. I've owned PSA's that I'd absolutely bet my life on and seen others fail and break with less than 20 rounds through them. I've seen extractors break, gas blocks come loose, and chamber problems with AR-15's and I don't think they're all created equal. I saw a guy with a Seekings SP10 (I know it's not an AR) at a competition having all kinds of "this has never happened before" kinds of problems because he put a new fancy barrel on his SP10, so now you're stacking manufactures tolerances with different parts.

Where I sit, I've got a competition level AR-15 that's darn accurate for when I need that. I've for BCM's rifles for when I want to run them hard as heck, or want to know it'll absolutely run. Then I've got a couple PSA guns for nostalgia because I want a clone of what Uncle Sugar used to issue, but I like to cost savings for a rifle I'm not going to beat the heck out of.

Guns are tools and there's a perfect tool for each job.

bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    For most of the people out there, a $500 AR is a fine rifle, I am not one of those people, I shoot competitively....a premium barrel, that will last 8000 to 10,000 rounds is a must. A free float hand gaurd, a match trigger , easy to service, makes weight even after 3000 or 4000 rounds, a fully adjustable butt stock (the one on my match rifle cost the same or more then a budget AR) , i expect my rifle to be able to hold a 1½ MOA group at 600 yards,constantly (the rifle will shoot smaller groups, but as a sling shooter,, I can't hold the group smaller.....these are things that you won't get with a budget AR.
    I agree… competitive shooting, a whole other ballgame and I can understand putting in the big bucks!

bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    I agree… competitive shooting, a whole other ballgame and I can understand putting in the big bucks!
    I try not to judge people by whatever gun they buy, but an AR-15 is a tool that can be used for many different things. I've bought more AR-15's from cheapo's to expensive than I can remember and generally speaking you do get what you pay for.

Your average guy who owns an AR-15 usually just wants to be able to say that he's got one too. The average guy doesn't shoot it regularly and if they do it's a couple boxes a year with a half arsed attempt to zero the rifle. He's happy if the gun goes bang and he shoots a pumpkin in the backyard once every year or every couple of years.

Your competitive shooter is looking for a precision build with a crisp trigger. I've got a White Oak Armament SPR upper on a psa lower that has a geiselle SSA trigger in it. There's an investment in that gun, but it's been carried & rucked with for miles at competitions before being used to shoot at distance.

Your duty use guy would be well served to watch the iraqveteran8888 meltdown videos on youtube because they see what AR uppers fail at. PSA may make uppers with an FN barrel, but the gas tube is still a cheapo and the gas blocks come loose. If you're going to do outdoors tactical training classes you're going to want something that's built with hard use in mind.

I started with a 20" A2 Colt that I bought to train with before basic. I've owned PSA's that I'd absolutely bet my life on and seen others fail and break with less than 20 rounds through them. I've seen extractors break, gas blocks come loose, and chamber problems with AR-15's and I don't think they're all created equal. I saw a guy with a Seekings SP10 (I know it's not an AR) at a competition having all kinds of "this has never happened before" kinds of problems because he put a new fancy barrel on his SP10, so now you're stacking manufactures tolerances with different parts.

Where I sit, I've got a competition level AR-15 that's darn accurate for when I need that. I've for BCM's rifles for when I want to run them hard as heck, or want to know it'll absolutely run. Then I've got a couple PSA guns for nostalgia because I want a clone of what Uncle Sugar used to issue, but I like to cost savings for a rifle I'm not going to beat the heck out of.

I don’t knock anyone either. I may bust my friends chops for owning a $3000 AR that still in a safe. Lol. I hope my post didn’t come off as that. All I was trying to convey is that I’m happy with my purchase especially after running it along side a much nicer firearm.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven

Hard to best a white oak armarment rifle

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

A lot of these things such as loose gas tube, loose gas block, etc should have been checked before taking it out to shoot.
    As a AR builder I've yet to buy a AR-15 complete build.
    I did break down awhile back to try out a BCA 223 Wylde upper since I've had good luck with their barrels in past builds.
    If a AR is Mil Spec, and put together correctly it should run as well as any other Mil Spec AR.
    This is why a person should inspect the rifle before taking it out to shoot.
    For that matter any firearm rifle, shotgun, or handgun should be inspected before firing.
    Higher quality parts will definitely cost more than your avg Mil Spec AR parts, and as I stated above it's a money pit.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Makes weight?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I've been thinking about a 300blk out. I might give Radical my business. If it doesn't work I can send it in until they get it working for the price it looks like a good deal.

I've found building your own turns into a money pit.
    We have been talking about buying a AR in 300, I must have a few thou empty's I have picked up the last few years at the club. There is a guy that shoots a few hundred 223s and a hundred 300's every week. I hear him shooting and I head to the range to pickup what he leaves on the ground.
    I have a set of dies so I can load for a friend. I'm just missing a rifle. I think we are leaning towards a SBR.

Top Bottom